Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had a computer test on my Alfa 147 as my key rarely unlocks my car when I press the unlock button. Apparently I have a poor transmission signal from this key and have been advised to get a new one.

Now where can I get a key from and how much do they cost? I live in Bristol. Or can this key be fixed somehow so I don't have to pay out for a new key? Like I said it sometimes works, but most of the time it does not!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
First of all, have you tried changing the battery? If so, then my next suggestion would be to get the switch behind the button changed. There's a guy on here who refurbs keys (Chris, I think...:confused:).

I've never heard of a key's signal fading over time...

If you really want a new key, your local Alfa dealer is the place to go. Be prepared to empty your wallet/remortgage your home for new ones though...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have replaced the battery a million times, doesn't do anything!

Ah OK hopefully I can find someone who can take a look at the key so I don't have to pay out for a new one!

N

·
0 Posts
Are both keys bad?

Earlier keys (with red LED) had a pretty poor range
anyway. I lost one and replaced it with a later model
and it was much much better in terms of range etc.

It's a dealer job. Many many old threads on keys.
;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two keys. One key which I presume is the master key does lock the car after about 10 presses of the button. It takes another 30 presses of the button to unlock the car again, the neighbours probably think I'm crazy!

The second key does not work at all.

N

·
0 Posts
If you're having probs with both keys it
may be an antenna problem in the car.

Do the keys work okay if you use the from
inside the car?

There is no master key, they should be identical.

There are loads of threads on here about keys
with many tips on how to proceed and work out
if it's a key problem or car issue.

;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you're having probs with both keys it
may be an antenna problem in the car.

Do the keys work okay if you use the from
inside the car?

There is no master key, they should be identical.

There are loads of threads on here about keys
with many tips on how to proceed and work out
if it's a key problem or car issue.

;)
one of my keys works fine in the car, very temperamental outside the car and the other key doesnt work at all.. the stealers want £70p/h just to "have a look"

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
It is common on one type of circuit board for the capacitors to degrade and introduce - or more accurately, to stop preventing - noise into the transmitted signal. This dramatically degrades the effective distance for the key as the car cannot easily detect the signal though all that noise.

Incidentally, it isn't anything to do with which versions have a LED or not (did you know that most of the key versions with no LED do actually have one fitted but the case doesn't have the viewing hole!), but it is specifically a particular 3-button circuit board design version that has the range problem. From experience it does appear that the range drops off substantially but the key still works if you don't mind having it pressed against the car (or your head). That is ok for a spare, IMO.

Unfortunately the components are so small and fiddly that it is just not worth the effort in finding the faulty one, and it is simpler and cheaper to supply a replacement board of a type which does not have the same problems and have the car coded to accept it.

Just to add more complexity, some 2-button key versions also have a sudden and dramatic range reduction, although this is due to a particular fault which can be repaired.

For WillisTi, you probably have one broken key and one with a poor range. One needs a repair and the other ideally a replacement board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts