Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, well so far mehanic came up with the faulty engine's high pressure fuel pump, as injectors are working fine, fuel tank pump is working fine as well. That also explains when i push the car a wee bit it starts, as it gives a bigger pressure at that time.

The question is:

1.any chance to get second hand one,if you know where to get it, give me a shout?
2.is there any difference between 1.9 and 2.4 jtd engine's high pressure fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm dubious about his diagnosis, a bad HP pump would probably stop it running at all and would log a fuel pressure fault. Can you find out more about how he diagnosed the pump? When you 'push the car a wee bit', are you pushing it in gear enough to start the engine or turning the engine over a few times by pushing then cranking the normal way and then it starts?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I'm dubious about his diagnosis, a bad HP pump would probably stop it running at all and would log a fuel pressure fault. Can you find out more about how he diagnosed the pump? When you 'push the car a wee bit', are you pushing it in gear enough to start the engine or turning the engine over a few times by pushing then cranking the normal way and then it starts?
+1 i think op has crank sensor problem going by his other thread

what was fuel pressure at cranking and what when jumped ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know man :) im not a mehanic :) car starts only by a little pushing, and on the time when i put in to the 1st gear - car starts. he said injestors are ok. crank sensor is brand new, fitted it like 2 weeks ago. can something damage my new crank sensor?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i dont know man :) im not a mehanic :) car starts only by a little pushing, and on the time when i put in to the 1st gear - car starts. he said injestors are ok. crank sensor is brand new, fitted it like 2 weeks ago. can something damage my new crank sensor?
genuine bosch fitted ? and only one o ring fittted?

G

·
0 Posts
CPS +1
Bet the mechanic left the old "O" ring in so now you have two in and too far away now to get a reading off the sensor all the time:rolleyes:
Not the first to go through this and you won't be the last :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh dear, what can i do? :D every garage ive ever been they just guessing. is it seriosly so hard or not possible at all to know whats really wrong? :) or is thats why alfas are getting breaking so offten? so far it could be a starter , it could be a HPFP, it could be just a crank sensor, also something wrong with something else :) at least i know that alternator seems to be ok.
this is the crank sensor i got :) now the car doesnt show any faults at all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-2-4D-Jtd-99-03-Crank-Sensor-/290609529695?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a9ad835f

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
oh dear, what can i do? :D every garage ive ever been they just guessing. is it seriosly so hard or not possible at all to know whats really wrong? :) or is thats why alfas are getting breaking so offten? so far it could be a starter , it could be a HPFP, it could be just a crank sensor, also something wrong with something else :) at least i know that alternator seems to be ok.
this is the crank sensor i got :) now the car doesnt show any faults at all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-2-4D-Jtd-99-03-Crank-Sensor-/290609529695?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a9ad835f
right get garage to check that ecu is firing injectors if that is correct i suspect its not cs i would go to an auto electricial and get them to test starter motor cranking speed

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but if its gonna be CPS fault, should'nt it be like at all times? car starts good when im driveing offten like every 2-3h, only when car sits for a while like 7h or so, the car wount start

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right get garage to check that ecu is firing injectors if that is correct i suspect its not cs i would go to an auto electricial and get them to test starter motor cranking speed
one guy said he checked injectors, and the fuel came out very good. but he didnt check HPFP by it self, ok im going to ask him to check the starter motor :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
one guy said he checked injectors, and the fuel came out very good. but he didnt check HPFP by it self, ok im going to ask him to check the starter motor :)
in his software who should see injectors operating without seeing fuel ..no need to take them out to do:confused:

i think an autoelectrician is best port of call ........may mate had problem with his diesel okay it was a ford but it was cranking speed of his was not up to spec and as yours is down to time ie 7hrs i reckon this could be problem with battery discharging enough for starter motor not to get enough power to generate speed to fire her up ..so you could have 2 faults poor starter motor cranking speed and/or poor battery performance

G

·
0 Posts
but if its gonna be CPS fault, should'nt it be like at all times? car starts good when im driveing offten like every 2-3h, only when car sits for a while like 7h or so, the car wount start
In a word: NO not at first anyway... It will get worse, more often and won't fire up period
its a give away sign that the CPS is faulty for some reason....
Not just Alfa's in fact many marques suffer the same effects... One out of three, four or even five start ups and it wont fire up... push it in gear and it does the next turn of the key as if nothing was wrong... Thats because the sensor has a new mark to go off.

In fact many owners blame the fuel system from the pump onwards at first... I have lost count how many times I have seen this and changed the CPS... Must be in it's 100's

In the past ten years I can count on one hand how may fuel pumps on all makes I have had to change... 2 to be exact and both of them were Rovers, a 75 and a 400! Thats how reliable fuel pumps are these days....However...
The Alfa's are the first ones that have failed that I know of because the old rubber o ring was left in place:rolleyes:
Then again, If your mechanic doesn't do many alfa's he wouldnt even know it was in there already, they are "supposed" to come out with the sensor, but never do.
If you think alfa's are bad for CPS, try PSA citroen group of cars... They do the same process except where your alfa is cold it wont start, they tend to do it when warmed up... "very frustarting" as a customer once put it!
I would ask the mechanic who fitted it to check for the old o ring or even just mention it, he might have known about the o ring and done it which eliminates that possibility.
Then logic would suggest it's the new sensor that is faulty, they aren't 100% perfect all the time, especially off Ebay, bargains to be had but Ebay is cheaper for a reason;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, thx guys, i will mension him about cps and taht o ring. last thing i would like to do is to buy a used hpfp wich still cost +/- 150 pounds and the main problem will be still on :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx to you guys, yes i hade a two 0 rings after crank sensor change, after fixing that all is ok now :) big thx for advice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts