Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm 100% buying an Alfa... However I cannot decide which model to buy they're all so pretty in their own right! 147, GT, GTV, 159 ahhh. Are there certain things I should look for when buying an Alfa? Thank you x)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi, I'm 100% buying an Alfa... However I cannot decide which model to buy they're all so pretty in their own right! 147, GT, GTV, 159 ahhh. Are there certain things I should look for when buying an Alfa? Thank you x)
Hi and Welcome,

Firstly you need to decide what you need the car for and how many miles you're going to do. If it's a second car with light use and you don't need practicality, I'd go for a 3.0 or 3.2 GTV. Wonderful, beautiful car which will only increase in value. At the other end of the scale, if you've got dogs, do a lot of miles and it's the main car I'd go for a 159 diesel sportwagon or a diesel GT or maybe a diesel 147. Depends which you prefer the look of. the 1.9 or 2.4 engines are both superb. Generally, I would advise avoiding the 2.0 JTS petrol or any thing with the selespeed gearbox. the 1.8 petrol in the GT is a little underpowered but the 1750 tbi in the 159 is fantastic. Read the buying guides on here and always judge a car on the seller.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Out of that lot the 159 is the newest design. The GTV the oldest.

We have a 916 GTV (Spider actually) and a 159.

They are both ace. I also had a GT which I liked but not as much as the other two. I nearly bought a 147 :D

I guess you need to drive a few, research a few (on here is a good start) and decide. It also depends what you are using it for, how big your family (if you have children) is etc.

The GT, 147 (I'm guessing) and 159 have reasonable rear space. The GTV has token rear seats.

·
Registered
600 Posts
First decide on which engine you require I reckon, the 3.0 or 3.2 if you want power and an amazing noise (not so much in the 159 as that is a different engine but you get Q4 four wheel drive). The 2.4 diesel if you want the most powerful or 1.9 is mpg is more you thing, if the lower powered petrols will suffice then you have the 2.0 JTS (GT, GTV) or 2.2 JTS (159) and the 2.0 TS (147, GTV), plus others available. Once you have made that decision I am happy to help as have owned lots :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! As I'm buying an Alfa as my first car and 23 anything over 2.0 is going to kill me on insurance. Everyday I change my mind on which model I want but the front runners are the GT and GTV

·
Registered
38,658 Posts
Personally I would avoid the 2.0 GT

It uses the JTS engine, and whilst they can be ok they are widely regarded as being inferior to the previous Twin spark

The 1.8 TS in the GT would be a better choice than the 2.0JTS IMO, as they sound better and are normally more reliable but at the same time are nearly as fast.

The GTV 2.0 is a great car, but I am pretty sure all of the Phase 3 versions were JTS as well, so you would be better off looking at a Phase 2

·
Registered
998 Posts
As it happens the JTS can be a good engine, mine has been fine over the last 2 years owned, there is a rumour that later models were better developed.

I myself read good and bad stories on the JTS but being a bit limited for engine choice on the GT i decided to find a well looked after example and haven't regretted it. I could never own a diesel being a pure petrolhead and at the time, the V6 would have been too juicy on the work commute.

Many others on here have good experiences with the JTS also.

·
AO Traders
603 Posts
Thank you guys! As I'm buying an Alfa as my first car and 23 anything over 2.0 is going to kill me on insurance. Everyday I change my mind on which model I want but the front runners are the GT and GTV
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for ant model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try to help.
Regards,
Dan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts