Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Had my alfa spider for almost a year now and not had any problems until now, last week after fuelling up i drove to manchester, did some shopping and on returning to the alfa it wouldn't start, it turned over ok but no joy, i called the AA who arrived within an hour and as soon as he tried it it started, without him actually doing anything to it.

I drove home without any problems parked up, and an hour later went back to car, and yes, it wouldn't start again, turned over fine though, i got AA to pick up the car and they took it to my local garage.

On monday mechanic tried the car and it started ok, he said he though it might be emegency cut off switch, though he wasn't certain it was the cause of the problem, he said he reset it and it started.

I have used the car without problems until again yesterday after fuelling up i drove home parked up, and when i tried to start the car an hour later it wouldn't start again, turned over just fine though, i tried depressing the reset switch on the cut off button as advised by the mechanic, but no joy, tried the car again this morning and it started fine, it's driving me nuts, has anyone experienced a similar problem? can anyone help please?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hello all

Had my alfa spider for almost a year now and not had any problems until now, last week after fuelling up i drove to manchester, did some shopping and on returning to the alfa it wouldn't start, it turned over ok but no joy, i called the AA who arrived within an hour and as soon as he tried it it started, without him actually doing anything to it.

I drove home without any problems parked up, and an hour later went back to car, and yes, it wouldn't start again, turned over fine though, i got AA to pick up the car and they took it to my local garage.

On monday mechanic tried the car and it started ok, he said he though it might be emegency cut off switch, though he wasn't certain it was the cause of the problem, he said he reset it and it started.

I have used the car without problems until again yesterday after fuelling up i drove home parked up, and when i tried to start the car an hour later it wouldn't start again, turned over just fine though, i tried depressing the reset switch on the cut off button as advised by the mechanic, but no joy, tried the car again this morning and it started fine, it's driving me nuts, has anyone experienced a similar problem? can anyone help please?

Cheers.

RPM or Phase Sensor? - Cant remember the name of the sensor which i got changed on TS GTV.

When they start playing up, they can behave like this, they get hot and u have to wait till it kools down before the car starts again, then in the end it will just die and the car wont start again. Get it checked, maybe alfa diagnostic.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
I don't think the T.Spark has a user serviceable fuel filter... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it does, I'll need some instructions on changing mine (10+ years with the same filter)

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,369 Posts
As above, no fuel filter except for one I believe may be in the fuel tank so.....

Seem to remember that the crankshaft sensor can cause the problems you are having, do a search for " crankshaft sensor ", sure you'll get to see what affect a faulty one can have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the crank sensor last week, ( what a fiddly job that is) and not had a problem since, so hopefully that was the problem :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes from your post I would definately say the crank sensor was at fault. I have had this happen to me on my Fiat, car was fine until driven for twenty minutes, then would not want to start again until left for half hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts