Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been having some major problems with my 159 (2,0 itdm) lately.
The problem is that the car stops during driving, on low revs.(less than 2000 rpm).
Check engine light comes up, and i typically need to start it 3-5 times before the engine starts running again.
Fault code has until today been connected to the fuel system. (I do not have the actual fault code)
It's been at the dealer garage for three days now. They said there was fault codes P0094 related to the immobilizer and the diesel pump. Today they disconnected the immobilizer, and when connecting it again the problem was gone.
But after driving it home (20 minutes) it stoppes four times, but this time with a different error code on the dash: ASR and hill holder not available. But the car starts again on the first try all four times.
Then I checked for error codes using my Fiat ECU scan: And i got error P068a Battery detachment, low signal from the sensor. Now the car will hardly start at all (got it to start when disconnecting the battery, but it stopped after 1 minute.)
After reading on here earlier I suspected a bad earth connection (the battery is less than 6 months), and I told the garage several times to check for it. (I have no idea if they did.
Could this be it the issue here? Of fuel pump related?

Any help will be highly appreciated, as my garage really do not know what to do with this...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had to replace the battery on mine recently...unnoticed that the negative connector which has a clamp type fixing had to be adjusted on mine as it was barley gripping the terminal...hope you get it sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bad earth can cause interesting errors, so you can get a thick cabe and connect it between any screw which is on engine and also battery's negative.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
It is pure electrical failure. ASR and hill holder are two from top three most hangry suckers for electrical capacity.
Nice to clean poles as describes above but it could be battery issue especially in cold climate.
Last 159"er left factory 2011. Have you ever replaced exw battery ???...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is pure electrical failure. ASR and hill holder are two from top three most hangry suckers for electrical capacity.
Nice to clean poles as describes above but it could be battery issue especially in cold climate.
Last 159"er left factory 2011. Have you ever replaced exw battery ???...
Hi, just replaced the battery (my third) and added a second Ground cable from the negative pole on the battery. Still the same error. And actually got the same errormessage while connecting my Fiat ECU scan. The key was in MAR position.
Noticed that the battery voltage in mar position on the battery is 13Volts, (14,24V while engine is running) but ECU Scan measures ECU voltage to 12,2 volts (While at MAR) Could this be a ECU powersupply /ECU grounding problem?!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I had ECU mass problem once with 156V6 car only. That time car had stopped on road and never starts up again asking for code.
Anyway three batteries for 6-7 years is too much.
Check electricity leak if any. Stop the car, open bonnet, close doors, lights, radio, everything off and wait for 15 minutes.
Put a multi meter in serie between battery negative pole and negative mass strap. 0,05-0,15A current is OK.
If you have a bigger current next step is to disconnect master fuses one by one to route further direction.
Do you have any additional non stock electrical devices with you car may also cause onboard electricity leak ???...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was it 30 minutes ECU reset or complete night disconnect ???...
I just disconnected it for one minute. It's been three weeks and the car is stopping again on low revs while I am driving. Will disconnect the ECU again and use a contact spray.
Could a broken crank sensor be part of the problem? Does the ECU have it's own earth strap? If one bad earth strap cause this? How do I check if it is broken?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem is still not solved.
The car is still stopping on low revs. And the ABS/hillholder light comes on.
Just checked my car With ECU scan.
Notised that the battery voltage was 12,7 when car was off. 12,16 volts registered on ECU connector when key whas in MAR position.

Several faul codes was stored in ECU:
U1600 Minicrypt, no signal.
B1042 Rain sensor invalid signal.
P068A Battery detatchment, signal low.
P2012 Flow shutter valve. No signal.
B1006 Clutch switch. Invalid signal.

And: I can't turn hy headlights off or to park position. (I have seen post about the complete light and cruise stalk needs to be replaced?)

I recently replaced my steering wheel lock, and after that the car was fine for 4-5 weeks. Then it stopped again on low revs and would need several attempts to get started.
When I disconnected the ECU the car was fine for two weeks.

Any idea what could cause all these different faults?
My Alfa garage could not find the fault, and I am really need advice to get this sorted:)

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Difficult to say.
Crank sensor could be a reason but dedicated failure code would be alarmed my view.
ECU earth is also could be a reason but this case you would have security problems to start car. Alfa code would be required.
It could be anything and you task is to catch it properly.
Could be fuel sensor. Clean contacts.
Could be a switch failure on a clutch or brake pedal. Check it as well.
Just first things have occurred in my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts