Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

had to go to newcastle this weekend (long drive from bournemouth), and noticed the back end of my car is not as stable as it should be, especially through fast bends with uneven surfaces.

i've got a 97 2.0 TS16v (covered 114K miles). can anyone recommend a set-up they have used.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had my springs tested by a dealer , he changed the shock absorbers with monroe's.

I'm not confident about cornering performace of the 155.Something to do with the chasis , you can change the entire set-up but ik will cost you a small fortune ...is it worth it?? Only when you are a regular circuit user I think.

I take corners faster with my bike , not normal considering that cars most of the times have faster corner speeds.

Lowering the car , a harder set of springs , big spoiler for downforce , soft race tyres .

But normal purpose suffers under these adjust's.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Sounds as though you got some weak shox

Have you checked the wheel bearings snd the rear axle bearings/bushes for movement??????

As far as setup goes mine is on standard suspension and has now got 149000 miles on the clock and it corners well with just a bit of body roll

The only problem i have is that the inner edge of the rear tyres wears and i cant figure out why

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SF...could be the swinging arm bushes, had one replaced on the twinny. From the rear the nearside wheel was angled more into the car at he top. This would cause inner wear, perhaps yours are just a bit tired especially considering the mileage?

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Wrinx think you could be right

Both me back wheels angle in at the top :rolleyes: However it does go round corners well at speed so i think i will live with it until sumat drops off :p Always thought it was Negative Camber from the factory

Btw did the one on your Twinny makeany noises as i get a strange clank from the back now and again but cant work out where its coming from

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice guys. the alfa is due a service soon, so will have to save up to get some extra bits fitted. great site !! nice to know there are some other people out there who like 155's (and seem to have similar problems with the car, or should that be 'character' :D :) :)

97 155 2.0 TS 16v

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both my rear wheels are cambered in too. And it clunks now and again. Seems to hold the road alright though considering the shocks are a bit tired. :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SF, Colin

The clonking will turn into grinding and the car will lurch around corners as the car "leaps" when the wheel literally moves eek! Gets a bit dnagerous eventually wink

Apparantly all the Tempra platform sharing cars suffer from this, local FIAT garage have replaced loads of 'em.

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Oh well sumat to lok forward to :rolleyes:

btw its been clonking on and off for the last 25000 miles or so and the wheels have always been angled since i got it 50000 miles ago .......

.....So i reckon they should be ok till i hit 200000 miles with a bit of luck

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your rear arms have had it....they do camber in a bit,if you jack it up and pull the wheel like you would for wheel bearing only much harder you will feel any play if it has any.

the fiat punto/tipo/tempra all suffer the same punto rear arms have been known to only last 20k.!!!!!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
What they like to do JB ??????????

Are they as bad as the old peugeot 309 rear axle bearings???????

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mechanic did mine before I decided to get me hands dirty after a long retirement :rolleyes: he said thay had been "fun"!!! Apparantly had to cut them off. Think the parts are only available from Alfa but probably wrong???

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah well, ours dosen't do too many miles so hopefully the rest of the car wil fall apart first eek!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Judging by your answer Wrinx they sound as tho there as bad as the Peugeot ones ..........

So i will wait till they are totally f......d before i change them

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thankfully there nothing like the peugeot ones,but they can be a right arse to do,it all depends if the bolt comes out ok,if it does cool if it doesnt you may need to drop the subframe and 'gas' them out (i have done this) untill you try it you wont know and no amount of wd40 will help in the slightest. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts