Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So GTV/Spider people, I need you help and advice!!

I went to look at a 1997 GTV 2.0twinny, 62000miles, proteo red with black momo leather on Saturday with some mixed results.

I deliver parcels to this person and they have had the GTV sitting in the garden for a while, I asked about it and turned out its been sitting there for the last 3years because they couldn't afford to MOT and tax it.

So asked if he would sell it and he has asked £500 for it knowing its going to need loads of TLC to get it back on the road, I got the RAC to look over it for me as im not able to at the moment and they have come back with interesting information.

The exterior and interior is in near perfect condition apart from the drivers side bolster is worn a bit and needs a good polish. The suspension could do with a total refurb as the bushes has totally perished from standing around for a long time and needs new front arms and front arb. Needs a new exhaust backbox as the old one has totally rusted also.

Now I know I would have to get the cambelt changed before I even fire the engine up and fit all new suspension but what im asking is would it be a worthwhile project and how much do you think I should get him down by??

Many thnx,
Scott

PS - I'll try and get a photo or 2 but can't promise anything.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
fixing it up would cost far more than the car is worth, sorry,cambelt/variator over 400 quid on its own, must be tempting but would be a lot cheaper to buy one thats on the road already.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have the facilities, why not buy it to break? Easy way of converting your 500 into a grand and then buying a runner?

On the other hand, as a project car which you might keep for a while it might be worth hitting a breakers for a used back box, scour ebay for cheap bushes etc and just bite the bullet on a belt change, you could probably do an oil and airfilter change yourself to save a couple of quid. Might be fun :thumbs:

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Agree with MSGTV

Even if you do the work yourself it will probably cost over £1000 just in parts.

Rear suspension components are expensive. If it needs new spring pans at the back they are £300 per side, then there is the condition of the upper bushes to worry about. A cambelt kit and variator is around £200, wishbones for the front are about £40 each, a pattern exhaust will cost £150 or so just for the cat back section. Plus it will no doubt need more work from where it has been stood.

If you are going to do it as a project then keep it for a while it may be worth it, but it would still be cheaper to buy a good one in the first place.

PS: Proteo red is far from the best colour on a GTV. :p

If you do buy it and need a Ragazzon exhaust though I have one for sale. Check the link in my sig. ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd budget £1200 to fix the suspension, get the cambelt & variator done, replace the exhaust backbox, and cover any other unforeseen probs.

If you could be sure that nothing else is wrong then it *might* be worth it if the guy would just let you take it off his hands.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
3 years sitting unprotected in a garden? I'd walk away now. I once bought a car that had stood in a garage for a few years with 10k on the clock. It took a year to sort the niggles and was more trouble than the bargain it appeared to be. Having said that £500 is cheap and cambelts and suspension bushes need doing at some stage on all GTVs as does a new exhaust....it's just all the other bits of rubber etc that are likely to have perished and not become apparent until you start using the car that I'd be worried about.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Agree with MSGTV

Even if you do the work yourself it will probably cost over £1000 just in parts.

Rear suspension components are expensive. If it needs new spring pans at the back they are £300 per side, then there is the condition of the upper bushes to worry about. A cambelt kit and variator is around £200, wishbones for the front are about £40 each, a pattern exhaust will cost £150 or so just for the cat back section. Plus it will no doubt need more work from where it has been stood.

If you are going to do it as a project then keep it for a while it may be worth it, but it would still be cheaper to buy a good one in the first place.

PS: Proteo red is far from the best colour on a GTV. :p

If you do buy it and need a Ragazzon exhaust though I have one for sale. Check the link in my sig. ;)
I agree with all that Symon said.... other than Proteo being the best colour! :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Totally agree with it would take £1,200-£1,500 to ge the car sorted (i assume it needs tax and MOT)

That said no harm in offering him £200 beacuse that is all i would pay for the car if was going to get it back on the road

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Well I kinda knew it would be to expensive to put right, maybe I need to find another GTV that needs a little bit of work doing to it but loads and loads :lol:

The search continues then :)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
My GTV seems to develop niggles if it hasn't been used for 2 weeks. :lol:

3 years is a long time for a GTV not to be used.

I would guess that there may even be engine damage from condensation.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
God, the negative vibe is killing me!!!

It's not always about the pounds and pence. We go on holiday that can easy cost over a grand and for what? 2 weeks of memories!!! But we will do it again next year 'cos we enjoy it!!!

Projects like this are cool if you don't have £1500 on your pocket. You may be able to find £100 a month for a while until it's done. Suspension, brakes all easy stuff. Cam belt and balance belt fairly cheap these days. This could be a really good car. £500?? try to get nearer £300 but having done this myself, and loved doing it, I would say GO FOR IT!!

PS will people please stop trying to get good cars broken!!! There are plenty of spares out there at the moment, lets try to keep these cars on the road shall we??

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
My GTV seems to develop niggles if it hasn't been used for 2 weeks. :lol:
Well we all know what Alfa's are like with their niggles :lol:

My 147 gets used once a week now by my old man and everytime so far his said there has been a new beep :eek:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Why not print off the negative bits from this tread, show them to him,explain the car is virtually worthless, give him 150 quid (more than he will get scrap), then u have a great donor car for the roadworthy GTV u buy?, if the seats are good/leather they are worth 200+ on their own. not to mention ecu's etc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hmmm...I think the negative vibe is just because it doesn't make financial sense, however, you are right Mitch, the fun of the project cannot be put into pounds and pence. OP could start a photo diary and show the progression they make with the car over the period they are restoring it.

As far as what to offer them just explain how much it is going to cost to get going again and give them a couple of hundred quid!

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Well after thinking about it and the fact that im not able to get around that easy while on crutches.....

......im going to see him at the weekend to discuss it. Atleast im now going to be able to save my money as im stuck indoors :lol:

·
Registered
767 Posts
God, the negative vibe is killing me!!!

It's not always about the pounds and pence. We go on holiday that can easy cost over a grand and for what? 2 weeks of memories!!! But we will do it again next year 'cos we enjoy it!!!

Projects like this are cool if you don't have £1500 on your pocket. You may be able to find £100 a month for a while until it's done. Suspension, brakes all easy stuff. Cam belt and balance belt fairly cheap these days. This could be a really good car. £500?? try to get nearer £300 but having done this myself, and loved doing it, I would say GO FOR IT!!

PS will people please stop trying to get good cars broken!!! There are plenty of spares out there at the moment, lets try to keep these cars on the road shall we??
Finnally someone with some sort of alfa common sense! I totally agree. When you think about it: what's 500 quid for 1,3 tons of art?! GTVs are rare and good ones are even rarer. Sure, it needs attention and some investments, but any other old and used car needs some kind of investments...and they still look like ****. A GTV will always look great no matter how old it is - it's beauty is everlasting :thumbs: Is it worth it? Absolutely!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I got the RAC to look over it for me as im not able to at the moment and they have come back with interesting information.
Doesn't sound like the OP has the time to get under the car and sort it out. I would personally say £300 but expect to pay £350. Plough £1k in and you should have a good car, £1350 isn't bad for a GTV. Personally not keen on that colour but I'm not the one buying it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts