Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I went to drive to work this evening and the battery seems to be flat, the engine cranks on first turn but not convincingly and then gets less and less powerful thereafter. I am not all that surprised as the battery looks to of been in the car since new, that coupled with the fact I only do short trips and the car has been standing in the cold for 3 weeks so it is only to be expected :(
I have a battery meter that I will take home from work in the morning to test, but if anyone can suggest what battery to get or the minimum requirements for the V6 then I will try to get one before I go to bed.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
355 Posts
if you are going to leave your car for a few weeks everytime ( like I do) a solar charger is a worthwhile investment. They are cheap on ebay and that way your battery is topped up regardless of how often you use it.

On the battery i am sure a quick phone around a few local parts places will find one. They are cheap enough unless you buy them in halfords, which seem to be multiples of cost of elsewhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Bad,

I've just had a very similar problem to you. It was a crappy Halfords battery though only 1 year old (and no, I couldnt find the darn warranty for it). Rather than get the same again, I went for a S5 Bosch job - higher wattage than the one it replaced and now it runs like a dream. I highly recommend it - not v.cheap at about £90 but I didn't want to skimp on it and get similar problems later on.......

·
Registered
68 Posts
battery £47 off ebay and solar charger £10 from maplins. Just leave it in the window and gets a gentle trickle charge through the cigar lighter .... fab. battery is a Bosch and was delivered following day

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Last time I needed a battery I just went to my local motor factors. I got a higher capacity battery than standard for about half the price ( about £45 ) of somewhere like Halfords.

EDIT : Just to add, that was a sealed for life battery as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying one from partco £65
was not the best deal i have seen but as they were open @8am i managed to get one and fit it before i went to bed for the day. The car started first try with the new battery and have now been to and from work twice with the new unit so big sigh of relif.

I am going to buy a solar charger over the next week or so as i thik that may be a good idea.

thanks all

James

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am going to buy a solar charger over the next week or so as i thik that may be a good idea.
Get the largest panel that you can because the smallest (1.5w) ones will not provide more power than your stereo head unit uses = flat battery again. The 1.5w ones are fine if you have no load when the car is parked.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Hi Guys

I went to drive to work this evening and the battery seems to be flat, the engine cranks on first turn but not convincingly and then gets less and less powerful thereafter. I am not all that surprised as the battery looks to of been in the car since new, that coupled with the fact I only do short trips and the car has been standing in the cold for 3 weeks so it is only to be expected :(
I have a battery meter that I will take home from work in the morning to test, but if anyone can suggest what battery to get or the minimum requirements for the V6 then I will try to get one before I go to bed.

Cheers

James
Measure the base and height of the compartment for the batt and get the biggest that'll fit inside it. Normally what I do but at the moment I bought what I could afford which is the smallest Bosch which is still 580 cranking AMPs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts