Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a GTV twinny for the last 3 years. It's been a brilliant car, but an impending new addition to the family in January means we're going to have to look at something with more space.

Obviously it has to be an Alfa, the question is, which one?

The criteria are:

Must have a big boot.
Must have great performance and handling (within reason).
Would be nice to have 4 doors, but not essential.

So far I'm thinking about a Brera (preferably Prodrive if I can find one) or a 159 (preferably TI, Q4).

Can anyone with a kid and a Brera comment on the ease of getting jr / child seat in and out of the back?

Can anyone who has driven both a GTV and either of these cars comment on how much of a shock I'm in for, handling wise? ;)

We live in London and only use the car at the weekend so can't justify two cars unfortunately or I'd keep the twinny. We won't be doing that many miles, so fuel consumption is not critical (and it's got to be better than the GTV, right?).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ive had a gtv twinny and currently have a brera, love the Brera, no where near as good handling as the gtv though.
Rear seat access is a little bit better in the brera but you will still be at funny angles putting in the child seats, but beleive the iso-fix would make life easier..
Would agree that if you need a big boot and rear seat access, get a GT.
But for me the Brera is a beautiful looking car, so put up with the limited space and if mileage is not a problem, get the 3.2.
I got the diesel because of the mileage i do per year.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Best engine, well obviously as previuosly stated 3.2 V6. If your only going for occasional use then steer clear of diesel as you will not run it enough to keep particulate filter unclogged.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I've had all three, two gtv's a twinny and a V6 a GT 1.9jtd and a Brera 2.4jtd.

If I had kids that needed running about I'd choose the GT but with a 3.2V6 seeing as fuel cost isn't an issue.

Brera is a nightmare for kids seats and the boot isn't as big as the GT, I had the diseasels because of the milage, as for handling the GT is closer to the GTV than the Brera :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay excellent thanks all - I'm going to take a look at the 3.2 V6 GT. I've always thought it's a smashing looking car. No need to go too sensible after all!

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
The GT 3.2 is an awesome car, if you have young children they are great, loads of room in the back and a massive accessible boot. Folding rear seats too, you can get a chest freezer in one! Unfortunately for me I have a 9 month old and getting her in and out of the back is a nightmare with my bad back, so it had to go. This is something worth thinking about as you've got a baby on the way (congratulations!)

Mine is already sold, but here is my advert so you can get an idea of what you can expect to get for the money:

Used ALFA ROMEO ALFA GT 3.2 V6 24V for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1485159)

Alternatively, get a 156 GTA Sportwagon. Its basically the same car as the GT underneath, but with 4 doors instead of 2 and simpler electronics.

G

·
0 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 3.2 GT or 156 SW GTA or even 156 GTA saloon. The boot on those is actually quite big. I ran a 156 2.0 TS as a family car all the time our son was young, it was fine.

·
Registered
934 Posts
159 Ti Sportwagon... Much safer if you have kids... you need to start thinking about that . I had the diesel 2.4.

I then bought a 3.2v6 GT ... which was awesome, but its a fair bit older design and in an accident you have a lot stronger and safer car.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Best engine, well obviously as previously stated 3.2 V6. If your only going for occasional use then steer clear of diesel as you will not run it enough to keep particulate filter unclogged.
Don't believe any UK spec GT's have a DPF. Mine certainly doesn't.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm leaning towards the 159 SW now. Next step is to get out and drive the 159 and the GT. The 156 GTA is a beauty but I have to say I'm tempted to move forward a generation to experience the latest gadgets etc.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Totally different experience - the GT is a great car - the busso is magnificent; the 159 is more modern, but I found it less involved.

Drive both.
Make your choice.
Be happy.

(congratulations on the family enlargement :))

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay I've bought a GT and we're picking it up on Thursday. I balked at the cost of the 3.2 tax and insurance in the end, didn't fancy the diesel, so ended up getting a 2.0 JTS Cloverleaf in really nice condition. All the talk of rusty subframes put me off the 159 in the end.

Am going to drive into the countryside on Thursday night and put her through her paces - can't wait!

Also - really looking forward to having working air-con and modern gadgets like BT, cruise etc. The level of comfort compared to the GTV is really a step up. I will miss the old girl though - the GT is pretty but in a more understated way.

Thanks everyone for the advice! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
congratulations, GT is a beauty in my eyes. I am glad there are still people who do not buy a suv the first month of pregnancy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a little update here. The little fella is now 3 weeks old and we're using the GT.

The seat (Maxi Cosi Cabriofix) only just fits through the gap into the back when the seat is forward, but it does fit, and because you can just snap it into the base, it's easy to take in and out without ruining your back.

The GT's boot is a vast improvement on the GTV too! :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just a little update here. The little fella is now 3 weeks old and we're using the GT.

The seat (Maxi Cosi Cabriofix) only just fits through the gap into the back when the seat is forward, but it does fit, and because you can just snap it into the base, it's easy to take in and out without ruining your back.

The GT's boot is a vast improvement on the GTV too! :)
My daughter is now 3 weeks old also, and her arrival meant that my Brera had to go. interestingly, we too have the Maxi Cosi cabriofix - it would not fit into the back of the Brera, even with the front seat fully forward. It wouldn't even go in the front as the seat belt wasn't long enough to go around (we don't have the clip on base).

So, we got a GQV instead! having the extra doors makes things much easier, and the QV is quicker than the brera. Not as pretty though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts