Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here’s a neat audio solution for the 166, the Netac a210

Netac Technology Co.,Ltd.

it’s a flash-based mp3 player with a built-in FM transmitter, so you just tune it into a radio station preset in the car and you’ve got up to 8 gigs of music and no wires.

It works surprisingly well. The sound is great* once you don’t use any of the equalizer settings, and the reception is crisp and noise free.

It also fits snugly in the 166’s centre ashtray.

On the downside, the display is WAY to small to navigate safely when driving, but I suppose a bit of planning when you’re copying your music onto it gets around this.

It’s not all that easy to get hold of.. I had a pretty bizarre experience while trying to buy it from UK-based audio-mania for instance, but I eventually tracked one down and it seems to have been worth the effort so far..

*considering the limitations of the 166’s crumby stereo :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Never found the transmitters to be much good, though! Loudlink is best and even that is flawed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use an MP3 player that plays on FM frequency..but this draws its power from the cig lighter socket..hooked to it is a flash mem USB stick with as many GIGs as you want...I forgot about CD's and all else already...I have over 400 songs [ high quality] and can have another thousand...sound is CD quality if you download at over 300 kbps...forget about the display though,its too small to read while driving..U need a copilot for that....:cool:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I use an MP3 player that plays on FM frequency
The problem I've found, though, is that there are very few clear frequencies left where I am and, if you do find one, as you drive to a different area, you have to keep searching for a new frequency! In addition, the quality was never good enough.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
if you have a CD changer, take a feed form the Phono leads from it and plug an MP3 player in there...make sure the CD cahnger is reading a disk and have music, excellent quality too!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mr. Pigfarmer,
Could you give me some more details on this? I have faulty cd player out already so can I run a cable easily through car to connect an free floating ipod up front? ..and what type of connection do I need? It would be great if it was that simple.
cheers.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Mr. Pigfarmer,
Could you give me some more details on this? I have faulty cd player out already so can I run a cable easily through car to connect an free floating ipod up front? ..and what type of connection do I need? It would be great if it was that simple.
cheers.
Right, the problem I had was my CD changer stopped working, so i bought a replacement (cheers Dan) whilst looking at I wondered if I could run just a normal headphone jack to phono cable to it and it work. This was found to be the case, but you need to have a CD changer in place happily playing CD's then you just syphon the sound from your ipod instead (thanks to Purple and Niall for this bit) It wont work if you have no CD player plugged in, or if your CD player doesn;t play CD's

Hope that helps - what was wrong with the Changer you ook out?

..or Mrs. Pigfarmer perhaps?
you were right the first time :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Have you got a DSP system?:confused:

I really rate the sound quality of my stereo in the 166.
..yeah i have the DSP alright. maybe i'm being a bit harsh, but sticking a modest enough alpine head unit in the 164 through the standard speakers will give you better results than all the tomfoolery in the 166 :cheese:

·
Registered
48 Posts
The changer wasn't working when I got the car. It worked on a workshop bench at a workshop, which has since closed down...
they told me the problem might be the cable running from ICS to changer. Never got around to finding another decent car stereo/electrics place.

So...given my cable back to cd player could be faulty..

How about this?
Has anyone tried the Monster icarplay in 166 cassette player?
Monster Cable iCassette Adapter for iPod and iPhone - Apple Store (U.K.)

seems like a simple solution and fm receivers adapters just don't seem to work very well.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..quick update on the netac before anyone rushes out to buy one;

the firmware seems to be a bit buggy, and the navigation of the music files has turned into a bit of a joke, so i'm trying to get an update at the moment.

if this can't be fixed it's a real pity, because the FM transmitter does work exceptionally well. most commercial radio stations process and compress the sound they broadcast so it's always compromised, but if you leave the the netac's equalizer on normal and turn the volume up a tad on your head unit you'll actually get a superior sound to most FM radio stations...

·
Registered
132 Posts
How about this?
Has anyone tried the Monster icarplay in 166 cassette player?
Monster Cable iCassette Adapter for iPod and iPhone - Apple Store (U.K.)

seems like a simple solution and fm receivers adapters just don't seem to work very well.
Have tried similar in the past - but because it's not a real cassette with a tape under tension, all you get is the clicking of the spools going round which is quite distracting.
I found an FM transmitter to be better and has the advantage of no wires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts