Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
To be fair bikers ride like nutters, yesterday I was happily cruising along country lanes route at about 50mph, it was very bendy, a bike arrives in rear view mirror, right up my chuff! Then on a blind bend over the crest of a hill, he swerves out from behind me, overtakes wildly, sees the corner, brakes hard and swerves in just in front of my bumper. Then shoots off into the distance.

Bikers are mad!

Never liked bikers as a race since one knocked my wing mirror off before vanishing at a set of traffic lights some years ago. Annoying thing was his number plate was so tiny I couldn't read it!!!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
As (another!!!) ex-biker, I always do a quick "life saver" before overtaking or changing lanes on the motorway, also I use my mirrors ALOT (it's almost OCD), I always like to be aware of what's going on around me (driving on the M25 teaches you not to take anything for granted), so I'm usually pretty sure that I'm not going to pull out on someone ...

... however riding a bike you have to accept that if you are riding significantly quicker than the traffic that an accident (although not technically) will be your fault ... in the same way that if you have an accident on the autobahns and you're doing 155+ then it is automatically your fault

H

·
0 Posts
To be fair bikers ride like nutters, yesterday I was happily cruising along country lanes route at about 50mph, it was very bendy, a bike arrives in rear view mirror, right up my chuff! Then on a blind bend over the crest of a hill, he swerves out from behind me, overtakes wildly, sees the corner, brakes hard and swerves in just in front of my bumper. Then shoots off into the distance.

Bikers are mad!
:rolleyes: :tut:

Are all car drivers idiots? After All, I saw a fella in a 147 undertaking, tailgating and swerving around like an eedjit on my way home today.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:rolleyes: :tut:

Are all car drivers idiots? After All, I saw a fella in a 147 undertaking, tailgating and swerving around like an eedjit on my way home today.
come on let's attack the bikers ... just like the BMW's recently ... NOT!!

I agree with HST completely (did I say that?) it is very easy to polarise opinion on a particualar "group", the vast majority of bikers are actually very safe and considerate ... otherwise they'd all be dead

A

·
0 Posts
Yeah, for some reason they don't teach engine braking anymore. I don't know why I always thought it was safest to do that. I go through the gears and slow right down planning to stop behind a stationary car with at least about 10 feet inbetween, then I can dawdle forward once there until we start moving again. However, my other half plans to brake 6 inches behind stationary cars and we always come to a very abrupt halt that rocks the suspension. I keep having a go at her saying that if there was a bit of diesel or the road was greasy she would go straight into the back of the car in front. My opinion, better to plan to stop well behind the car and roll on, rather than stop in the other guy's boot.
I totally agree with you.* IIRC the thinking behind using the the brakes only is that its cheaper and easier to change discs and pads than it is clutch and gearbox.* I was taught to go down through the box, and anyway - don't you just lurv the sound of an Alfa on the over run? ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've got a stick on blind spot mirror.
It's circular so sits nicely in the right hand edge of the oval wing mirror.

It does improve things a lot.

I've used them on my previous 2 cars (146 and Cinq. Sporting). I bought a real cheapie for the cinq., and it tarnished inside a year. The better 'branded' ones last years.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts