Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm taking my CBT next week, hopefully my proper bike test next year after i get some experience with a 125.

Bit nervous about it, but a far greater part of me is excited, been a fan of bikes since my teens :) :) :)
Good luck buddy.

I was planning on doing my DAS this year, a zero to hero week long course, but I got the Cup instead. When I invest in a family wagon then I'll do the bike thing to fulfil my speed craving.
The bike test changes this October, so it might be worth doing it before then if you want to do it.

H

·
0 Posts
The bike test changes this October, so it might be worth doing it before then if you want to do it.
Yeah I read up on the new test. Sounds pretty tough, but I'm gonna have to lump it.
A little niggle inside tells me that taking the proper test this year will be too much too soon
And the wife tells me it'll be too much (money) too soon :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very true, and regarding 'traditional' litter I'm a real nazi about it. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't tolerate littering in my presence, and will not hesitate to make people pick things up to put in the bin.

However, there's not much I can really do otherwise when I'm holding a lit cigarette butt other than drop it out of the window. I know I have an ashtray, but I think it's incredibly dangerous to concentrate on ensuring a cigarette is properly out whilst driving.

To preempt the 'you shouldn't smoke in the car then' argument... I'm an addict and I need to smoke. However, the act of smoking is no more dangerous when driving than scratching your face, running your fingers through your hair, or eating an apple, and less so than fiddling with the stereo.

My belief is that the butts end up in the drains and gets collected along with all the other road debris such as leaves etc, and therefore isn't such a problem as the crisp packets, coke cans, McDonalds cartons and newspapers that litter our streets.

Anyway, I've got to give up soon as next year we plan to do the whole baby thing. Let me enjoy it whilst I can ;)
Personally I think it's dangerous to smoke when driving.

Anyway, excellent post by Ped.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Personally I think it's dangerous to smoke when driving.
It's dangerous to cross the road. It'd be interesting to see RTA figures where smoking was a contributory factor.

As an ex smoker, I can tell you that it's FAR more dangerous to drive without having a fag when you really want one :lol: :thumbs:
This is true :D

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Kudos to you for stopping and apologising. Being a biker myself there is nothing more annoying than people cutting you up and then pretending you are not there when you do go past (blinker syndrome). Well done for owning up and bringing things like this to light! :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
People smoke in their Alfa's?!?! :cry:

Good post, I always check my blind spot with an over the shoulder glance as I had a competent driving instructor that drilled it into me. Too many these days just teach to pass, not teach to drive.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
presumably you looked over your shoulder to check your blindspot before moving out. bikes are buggers they appear from nowhere and fit very neatly in the smallest of blindspots.

i dont hold much truck with this advanced motorist thing, its just things that should be taught to all drivers for the normal driving test and it can give those who have done it a false sense of security. passing a test doesnt make anyone an advanced driver. my hgv training made me a better driver but the 12 years experiance since i passed that test is way more important.

i have a friend who did it and ive lost count of the accidents she has had:rolleyes:

i did my test in '92 but my gf who did hers in '97 has a totally different driving style i was taught to brake gradually and change down through the box, she was taught to brake at the last minute then put it into 1st when stationary:eek:

the way you are taught to drive a truck seems to be close to the advanced drivers thingy, awareness of the road and potential hazards are a big element of driving a truck, why isnt this taught to all car drivers?

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
the way you are taught to drive a truck seems to be close to the advanced drivers thingy, awareness of the road and potential hazards are a big element of driving a truck, why isnt this taught to all car drivers?
Too many these days just teach to pass, not teach to drive.
I agree with SHare and think this answers your question!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
A year on a bike before your aloud to drive a car would do wonders for most peoples driving in my opinion.

But sometimes accidents happen, that's why they're called accidents.:(

Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Whats the point of this? Well i pay damn good attention to my mirrors and i still missed him.
stick on blind spot mirrors cost 99p and are easily fitted in less than 1minute.

i dont have any :eek: but they work and they're a good idea.

·
Registered
644 Posts
About an hour after reading this thread i was on my way to work and on joining the A19 sliproad found myself in the middle of a convoy of about 40 or 50 bikes of all types. They all wore hi-vis vests with a logo of some sort on the back. They then headed up the A184 towards Gateshead with me amongst them for about 3 miles..............talk about coincidence.............needless to say i was driving very carefully!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Kudos to you for stopping and apologising. Being a biker myself there is nothing more annoying than people cutting you up and then pretending you are not there when you do go past (blinker syndrome). Well done for owning up and bringing things like this to light! :thumbs:
Ditto, good on yer.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
i was taught to brake gradually and change down through the box, she was taught to brake at the last minute then put it into 1st when stationary:eek:
Yeah, for some reason they don't teach engine braking anymore. I don't know why I always thought it was safest to do that. I go through the gears and slow right down planning to stop behind a stationary car with at least about 10 feet inbetween, then I can dawdle forward once there until we start moving again.

However, my other half plans to brake 6 inches behind stationary cars and we always come to a very abrupt halt that rocks the suspension. I keep having a go at her saying that if there was a bit of diesel or the road was greasy she would go straight into the back of the car in front.

My opinion, better to plan to stop well behind the car and roll on, rather than stop in the other guy's boot.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I learnt an invaluable lesson when training for my HGV test.The instructor would suddenly ask"whats behind you",and you HAD to know,without checking your mirrors.Taught me that you should ALWAYS be aware of traffic behind you ,not just when you are about to make a manouver!Only time it didn't quite work was one night on the M13(I think it is)Checked my mirrors-nothing behind except faint lights a couple of miles in the distance.As I was doing 65ish I thought nothing of it-even if he was doing 80 it would be a while before he came past.Suddenly I heard a ROAaarrr and a Countach shot past at full pelt-must have been doing close to 200mph!I thought I was stopped!Just shows you can't be too aware of whats going on around you.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts