Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
I read somewhere about modern cars being more prone to having blind spots, due to the thicker pillars needed for better crashworthiness. I have to turn my head to check when joining highways because I don't trust the tiny side mirrors and the thick B and C pillars blocking the view.

On the other hand, in a 1960's Mercedes saloon, it's a clear view outside thanks to the thin pillars... although I wouldn't want to test their strength.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
are you a member of the school of advanced driving that doesn't believe in indicating if you can't see anyone to indicate to?
As a former advanced driving instructor (NOT IAM!!!) this shouldnt be used on the road.

It is used during asessments as you should always be aware of what is around you and look for vehicles 'dissapearing' - as they are usually in your blind spot. Its used in asessment to indicate that you know there is nothing there.

Its good advanced practice to indicate at all times in one way systems (like motorways) however in case you have missed something, or a 200mph motorbike has just appeared up the inside.

I still check my left hand mirror before pulling away from the lights, something thats not in the normal driving handbook, but kills a lot of cyclists.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good post PEd. Well done for following him in and apologising, I don't think many people would have done that.

I'm super-aware of bikers as my brother rides a Blade and has come off twice breaking both his collar bones, he's now on his way to being a Barry Sheen replica. But, I've still missed the odd bike when driving.

The rule is to always check your mirrors, and blind spot, and mirrors again, I'm normally quite good at picking up bikers in my rearview if I know I'm about to make a manouvre soon, that way you know potentially they're going to be on top of you soon, and if you can't see them when you go to move, and they haven't gone past you, they're sitting on your shoulder. I even check the mirrors when doing little things like flicking ash and fag butts out of my window.

We're all people on the road trying to get somewhere, and if everyone was more considerate the world would be a better place (and if we had more donkey sanctuaries :p )

Well done again PEd.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I missed a police car with blue lights on in my blind spot once on the M5. Oops !!

S

·
0 Posts
I even check the mirrors when doing little things like flicking ash and fag butts out of my window.
:tut: :tut: :tut:

A bit off the point of this excellent thread - but I'd like to point out these fag butts are litter.

if everyone was more considerate the world would be a better place
How very true. Hard to believe it's from the same author.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
A bit off the point of this excellent thread - but I'd like to point out these fag butts are litter.
Very true, and regarding 'traditional' litter I'm a real nazi about it. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't tolerate littering in my presence, and will not hesitate to make people pick things up to put in the bin.

However, there's not much I can really do otherwise when I'm holding a lit cigarette butt other than drop it out of the window. I know I have an ashtray, but I think it's incredibly dangerous to concentrate on ensuring a cigarette is properly out whilst driving.

To preempt the 'you shouldn't smoke in the car then' argument... I'm an addict and I need to smoke. However, the act of smoking is no more dangerous when driving than scratching your face, running your fingers through your hair, or eating an apple, and less so than fiddling with the stereo.

My belief is that the butts end up in the drains and gets collected along with all the other road debris such as leaves etc, and therefore isn't such a problem as the crisp packets, coke cans, McDonalds cartons and newspapers that litter our streets.

Anyway, I've got to give up soon as next year we plan to do the whole baby thing. Let me enjoy it whilst I can ;)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've just taken up bike riding, got a bit fed up with the compromise car for road and track so decided to try having nuts car for my trackday hobby and cheap bike for commute, early days but it seems OK, winter will be the interesting bit.

anyway as part of the Bike training you get taught to always look around as the black spot is bloody large on a bike surprisingly, they called it the life saver and bloody hell it is, good habit to get into, can't say I've ever done it much in a car but find myself doing it now, i'm also a lot more aware of whats around me probably because I feel quite vunerable.

·
Registered
691 Posts
When I had the 164, I did exactly the same thing on the motorway - changing lanes and almost killed a motorbike rider. He gave me the expected hand gestures and I apologised as best I could.

Later on I bought a blind spot mirror and fitted it. They should be mandatory as they work so effectively. If you watch, you can clearly see a car/motorbike leave the field of vision in the main mirror and enter the field of vision on the smaller blind spot mirror. Leaves nothing to chance. This reminds me that I need to fit one on the GTV. That wrote the book on blind spots....

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
y belief is that the butts end up in the drains and gets collected along with all the other road debris such as leaves etc, and therefore isn't such a problem as the crisp packets, coke cans, McDonalds cartons and newspapers that litter our streets.
Smoke rollies, they're biodegradable as well as being cheaper.

H

·
0 Posts
I've just taken up bike riding, got a bit fed up with the compromise car for road and track so decided to try having nuts car for my trackday hobby and cheap bike for commute, early days but it seems OK, winter will be the interesting bit.

anyway as part of the Bike training you get taught to always look around as the black spot is bloody large on a bike surprisingly, they called it the life saver and bloody hell it is, good habit to get into, can't say I've ever done it much in a car but find myself doing it now, i'm also a lot more aware of whats around me probably because I feel quite vunerable.
I'm taking my CBT next week, hopefully my proper bike test next year after i get some experience with a 125.

Bit nervous about it, but a far greater part of me is excited, been a fan of bikes since my teens :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good luck buddy.

I was planning on doing my DAS this year, a zero to hero week long course, but I got the Cup instead. When I invest in a family wagon then I'll do the bike thing to fulfil my speed craving.

H

·
0 Posts
Good luck buddy.

I was planning on doing my DAS this year, a zero to hero week long course, but I got the Cup instead. When I invest in a family wagon then I'll do the bike thing to fulfil my speed craving.
Cheers mate. I thought about doing the Direct Access course, but it's scary to think that by going that route I could have literally no bike experience, then a week later be legally able to buy and ride a 186mph Hayabusa or the like:eek: :eek: :eek:

My missus also had something to do with me sticking to the 125 for a year, she's very persuasive at times :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
very good post indeed :thumbs:

having been a biker for some 12 years now (on the road that is) i know only too well how is it is to make simple mistakes....

I drive a car like i ride a bike (not like a nutter :tut:) i always do the "life saver" over the shoulder glance as well as mirrors before i change lanes or negociate junctions etc...

If only more were like this.. (bikers and car drivers alike)

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Great post, and good for you for stopping and apologising

I am hyper-aware of bikes, and always look over my shoulder when I'm changing lanes. There's a reason they're known as 'organ donors', it's often not the bikers fault, the amount of times I've seen people pulling out in front of bikes, not even looking sometimes:tut:

I actually find the 159 not all that good with the visibility, I even tend to use my mirrors for reversing (my Dad's Vectra is much better:p ), and it has a great blind spot I lost a whole car in once - good job I do the over the shoulder thing, or I'd have taken him out:eek:

O

·
0 Posts
very good post indeed :thumbs:

having been a biker for some 12 years now (on the road that is) i know only too well how is it is to make simple mistakes....

I drive a car like i ride a bike (not like a nutter :tut:) i always do the "life saver" over the shoulder glance as well as mirrors before i change lanes or negociate junctions etc...

If only more were like this.. (bikers and car drivers alike)
I tried to tell my learner daughter to look over her shoulder before pulling off or moving into the right lane on a DC while I was taking her out for practice, but she insists the instructior hasn't told her to do this! Must have a word with the instructor! :rant: Something that was drummed into me when I was learning.

O

·
0 Posts
Probably because Mirror, Signal, Check your blind spot, Manouvre isn't as catchy.

That's shocking that she's not being taught that though, plus it sounds as if she's not taking on your experience as a driver and ignoring your advice because of that :confused:
Hah! You've met my daughter it seems! :lol:

I'm fantastic when she needs something, but I know nothing when my advice clashes with the advice she'd rather take! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Cheers mate. I thought about doing the Direct Access course, but it's scary to think that by going that route I could have literally no bike experience, then a week later be legally able to buy and ride a 186mph Hayabusa or the like:eek: :eek: :eek:

My missus also had something to do with me sticking to the 125 for a year, she's very persuasive at times :lol: :lol:

riding a 125 myself, did my CBT last week, its a very eye opening experience, I personally found the bike terrifying at 50mph :lol: can't even begin to imagine what 186mph is like.

I'll do my full test in the net month or so as the test is chnaging but will stick on a 125 for a couple of years until I am happy/competent.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts