Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming down the F*cking hill and there were cars stopped and I nearly wacked someone up the ass:eek: I had hell of a heart attack

Abs wasn't doing much either!

It was snowing heavy by the way.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Had a really close one today too :eek: Doing about 5mph, braked 20 yards from a Ford Ka that had skidded to a halt and slid within an inch of her back bumper :(

Snow looks nice but is dangerous stuff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
ABS wont really help if youre sliding on snow :(

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've had an underpant changing moment this afternoon :eek: just managed to get some traction in time and pull her up safely, after watching my attempt to get down this hill the guy behind didn't even give it a try, Volvo driver though :p

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard abs doesn't work under 20mph or so.

I had to slam it in first gear and let clutch out slow to come to a halt in the end. The brakes are not the thing to press in the snow with 205x66x13 :rolleyes:
I was so used to my other car with 155's that I totally forgot about wide wheels and snow dont mix.:tut:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
As I mentioned above, ABS won't help if your tyres have nothing to grip to - ie if you're sliding on snow.

ABS uses cadence breaking (like tapping the brakes) to enable you to keep control of the steering and prevent the wheels locking. But if you're on snow, you may continue to slide anyway.

The best thing to do in the snow is to leave plenty of distance between you and the car infront and drive as smoothly as possible to avoid braking hard and skidding. If you need ABS in snow, you're probably braking too hard anyway.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Lynn's right about ABS and snow. In fact I can recall when Audi first marketed the Quattro they made a big thing about how the ABS didn't kick in when the car detected snow, becuase the quickest way to stop is for your brakes to lock up, which caused the snow to build up in front of your tyres as you slide, acting as a brake.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
indeed - audi used to offer you a button the dash to switch the ABS off. Guess some boring product liability clause caused them to pull that.

g

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pretty much everything is useless when driving in snow. Wish i could disable ABS and Power steering and always turn ASR off as theres nothing for it to grip anyway.
Having ABS and ASR on just ruins your brakes and for no reason.

Keep in low gear, Only use very light braking when nessesary and just let the car go down the hill, That way at least you still have direction control and speed is constrained by engine braking. Works for me.

GT Leeds Lad

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Keep in low gear, Only use very light braking when nessesary and just let the car go down the hill, That way at least you still have direction control and speed is constrained by engine braking. Works for me.
Actually you should keep it in high gear and use your engine to assist braking...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agree about keeping in a high gear if on the flat or going up hill to prevent wheel spin and keep in control, but certainly not down hill....

I'd rather be in 1st or 2nd crawling down a snow covered hill at 7 or 8 MPH as the car speed is much lower using engine braking than it would be in 5th or 6th where you'd be doing at least 20-25MPH..... Would rather hit the wall at the bottom of the hill at a lower speed if it all went **** up!!..

Again all depends how steep the hill is and how brave you are...... And of course what speed your doing at the top of the hill. But if you know the road you'll be going slow enough to engage lower gear before you start going down the hill...

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I think you and Gary are saying the same thing GT Leeds lad - just that you call 1st and 2nd low, but Gary calls them high!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
No, I didn't mean that - when driving in snow or ice you should be in as high a gear as possible (4th or 5th say), so that if you need to brake you can change down and use engine braking to stop your wheels from locking (probably not so important with ABS now though) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts