Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bagged a cheap selespeed, thinking it was a sele system failure, however having checked through everything the previous owner and their grease monkeys have done, the sele system appears fine, however on turning on the ignition, I get the following

ABS failure
VDC failure
Selespeed failure (no pump running either, although 12v direct to the pump makes it work
Immobilizer failure plus CODE light stays on
few electrics work, radio, windows, central locking blower etc, but the wipers, lights and dash lights do

Would I be right in thinking it points toward either the antennae round the key not working or a major failure f the body computer. I have checked the maxi fuses and they are fine. There is live power into the body computer unit via the two big red wires. There is a much smaller broken wire, which looks like small co-axial that is broken, could this be significant, to the antenna perhaps round the ignition key.

Am I on the right lines guys?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also got EBD or EOD failure, whatever that is, flashing faults round like a one armed bandit :lol

the black wire goes up toward the instrument panel where it seems to be fixed, earth maybe?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
From experience the sele will not work if its not communicating with the main engine ecu.I learnt this when fitting a lock and ecu setup to a sele from an earlier sele it being the wrong type.My initial thoughts are to put an earth lead from the battery onto the engine ecu body because if the earth is poor it will show immobilizer failure and also upset the sele system.The abs may be the fuse link being broken on the connectors directly attached to the positive terminal.I may be wrong but thats where i would start! Perhaps you could say if its a 156 or 147 cos it would be easier to give you more helpfull info.

D

·
0 Posts
no it doesn't, must be significant,

I was thinking may be an faulty ignition switch or something to do wit the body computer, or a dodgy earth
Yes - the engine ecu triggers all the other systems ( as JH aluded to ).

I'd start by checking the two ecu earths - one on the ecu bracket and the one that bolts to the rear of the cylinder head near the ecu, that particular one sometimes works loose.

Also check the fuses in the box near battery - I think they might be numbers 16-18 possibly, the injection relay also lives in there.
I posted the fuse box diagram and part of the fuctional description from e-learn in a thread a few weeks ago if that helps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
also got EBD or EOD failure, whatever that is, flashing faults round like a one armed bandit :lol

the black wire goes up toward the instrument panel where it seems to be fixed, earth maybe?
I think the black wire is the alarm antenna.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jim

the earth cable seems to be securely attached, the one behind the cylinder head, all the rest seem OK, cleaned them all up and made no difference.

I do have the advantage of checking everything against Mrs P's perfectly working silly from the same year, so my head will be back under the bonnet on Thursday.

What were you symptoms Jim?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes - the engine ecu triggers all the other systems ( as JH aluded to ).

I'd start by checking the two ecu earths - one on the ecu bracket and the one that bolts to the rear of the cylinder head near the ecu, that particular one sometimes works loose.

Also check the fuses in the box near battery - I think they might be numbers 16-18 possibly, the injection relay also lives in there.
I posted the fuse box diagram and part of the fuctional description from e-learn in a thread a few weeks ago if that helps.
two earths are OK, I did suspect one fuse, as said, maybe those you mentioned, did not look blown, but did not look nice and shiny either

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found the problem,

a brief look at mrs P's selespeed in daylight revealed that the big +ve wire that should go to the fuses and relay box in front of the battery was routed wrong and not connected. Doh, knew it had to be something stupid.

The car fires straight away, still have sele failure, it only goes into 1 and 2, but ECUscan and a spare sele pump and actuator will take care of that. :D

Thanks for your help guys :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Good news - you might just get away with a eol calibration/clutch rod adjustment with any luck
:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news - you might just get away with a eol calibration/clutch rod adjustment with any luck
:thumbs:
well, life is not quite so simple, seems that ECUscan cannot talk to the sele ECU, so there must be a wiring fault there somewhere. Time for a weekend with the Maplins contact spray and a circuit tester I think.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
well, life is not quite so simple, seems that ECUscan cannot talk to the sele ECU, so there must be a wiring fault there somewhere. Time for a weekend with the Maplins contact spray and a circuit tester I think.
hope you disconnected earth when you fixed it ,,.....you may have fried ecu:wow:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had it disconnected, (more by habit than consciously thinking of that) but I bet said grease monkeys didn't. Good point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts