Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So, I've moved home to Ireland now and brought the GTV with me. I'm prepared for the road tax raping I'm about to endure (3.0 V6) and the VRT aint too bad either. My question is this; If I go pay the VRT, how long will I have to wait to get an NCT test? I know there was delays of up to 3 months last year, but has this wait reduced?

Thanks,
David.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I thought if you owned the car for more than 6 months and you lived abroad you don't have to pay VRT? imho the NCT is based on the age of the car, in case of a 98 car it should be done within a year/6 months?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned the car for a year now but as I've been travelling back and forth between home and the UK, I may have a job convincing the 'nice' people at the tax office to let me off the VRT, so I'm expecting to have to bite the bullet and just pay it. My more immediate concern is will I be able to drive it if I have to wait 2-3 months for an NCT?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I doubt you'll have to wait that long for an NCT booking. The longs delays a while ago were due to the introduction of the €€€€ fines so everyone panicked and went to get it done....I think that back log has been dealt with although obviously it will depend on the area. I emailed them for a booking (rather than using the online booking system on the website) back in November and had booking in approximately a fortnight.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, so I should be able to use the car while I wait for the test then, happy days! Now I wonder how much the insurance company will want.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Were you working in the UK ? Renting a house , have utility bills with your UK address on them. Uk bank accounts etc . Was the car mostly garaged in the uk. Do you have raod tax and car insurance paid while in the UK. The more items you have to prove you were in the UK for the period the better .

D

·
0 Posts
Shouldn't be too long to be honest. Just applay ASAP. You can get some really good dates if you are willing to travel. My buddy saved over 5 months by travelling from cork to portlaise.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
i booked the NCT for a horrid Brava i owned in December one week, & got a test for the next week, the joys of living in Longford!!

M

·
0 Posts
I can tell you all working for the NCT the delays have gone now just a couple of weeks...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have managed to sweet talk my way out of a couple of Garda checkpoints already ;-) fortunately in both cases it was a nice bean garda who seemed more impressed with my put on english accent lol. But as the car has been parked up for the last 3 months at my parents place in Dublin, I'm just hoping I don't get any sticky questions at the VRT office!

NCT shouldn't be a problem then if the queues have dropped, just can't be without a car as of next month.

Thanks for the info guys :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts