Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching a re-run of TG where they had a few cars in that had been crash tested. Some did well, notably the Fiesta and Avensis. Others did not, like the Freelander. I was curious to know how my car did so had a little search.

Euro NCAP - The AA

N

·
0 Posts
The 147 was notorious for it's bad NCAP result.
Head on collision was really bad and I think it
was only other factors that boosted it's final
score up to a miserable 3 stars.

Didn't stop me driving one for 5 years though. ;)

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Ouch! :lol: so looks like we might be lacking two feet and a leg!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yep! did the same, and it appears the bigger the better, or more modern designs, progressively collapsible researched ones, fare best.

However, corner on concrete block, side slammer, pole thruster, good estimations, but real life collisions? Dummies aren't quite the same as fleshy folk!:rolleyes: Three stars for most bog standard hatches I guess, with a few exceptions? Total security? A TANK!! :):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oh, and safer cars, are mainly controlled by safer, non-reckless, road reading drivers? Watch out for that exit route when stuck with motorway tail hugging crushers, and blind bends on the A and B routes?:):

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I'd say that side impact rating is correct :)
I had a Toyota Hilux smash head on into my driver's door while i was sat at a red light, I escaped with back pains for 2 months or so

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Like the 156, head on crashes are best avoided. If you do a search in images you'll see what happens when a 156 gets nailed by a Pug. Not pretty. It was mine:cry: Only real injury was caused by the seat belt grabber although I was pretty black & blue and sore for weeks after it:( The 159 feels as if a tank would come off 2nd best if they were to collide:wow:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Tank made by the I..,: Indigenous folk, who relate themselves to most crafted articles? Some of the later, light weight Renaults were top scorers, using the 'bounce off effect' against that solid as a rock, Volvo?
Mind you, being 'all shook up' in a featherweight like a ping pong ball, is not that reassuring either, when that 40 ton? hammer of truck slams into you!:(:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Doesn't really matter if it's in 'crocodile' motorway collisions, unless it is 'virtually' uncrushable armour plate? Eighteen inches on a Cent', half an inch on a Ferret, and even the comparatively 'Tiddly Pop' Ferret was a 'toughie' compared to sheet steel/alloy motor cars?:D

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
the 159 platform is known for being build like the proverbial Brick Excrement Building ...

The 147 was never a stiff platform ... safety wasn't really Fiat/Alfas thing at the time and it was only just creaping into the public eye ... Don't look at the cinquecento results ! ... you have to remember at the time EuroNCAP became 'visible' to the public most vehicles were still only being designed to what was at the time the legal test requirements ... since then the EuroNCAP tests have gained more importance and so cars are a lot safer.

I won't make any other comments as I can bore everyone to hell on this subject !

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
When they tested the 159 they said it was a 6 star car (if they had 6 stars that is):cool:
yes the structure of a 159 is very good ... and would theoretically gain more points

the problem with EuroNCAP is they have some visual/subjective assessments on various things and they are not overtly keen on some restraint systems used in some vehicles (load limiters and collapsable steering columns)

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The biggest issue with NCAP is that manufacturers now design cars to pass the specific tests, rather than cars that are holistically "safe".

Ralf S.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd imagine the GTV would crumple in just the same as a 156/147. Probably worse with the V6 as there isn't much room around the engine to crumple up, so it'll end up on your lap!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The biggest issue with NCAP is that manufacturers now design cars to pass the specific tests, rather than cars that are holistically "safe".

Ralf S.
Well all cars are designed to pass crash tests of some type or another ... obviously the legal ones, then things like EuroNCAP or IIHS in the States and then whatever in-house requirements a specific manufactuer may have on top of all that.

As to a overall safe car ... it would be impossible to test for being safe in the event of anything happening!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
So what did the front subframe look like on the original 147 then? (yes I'm an engineer for all my sins ... a crash safety one to be precise!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts