Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get the Navtec to start up and show on the screen of my 3.0 year 2000 166. I went to current location and the screen was blue, I zoomed out and I found I was not in fact in North Wales but just off the coast of Holland. This really does not help when planning a route or help in any way. Does anyone have any experience of the standard Nav system in my car? could it be a bad disc? Does it use a GPS no longer in use? Seems cheaper to get a tomtom then buy an upgrade disc.

Looking forward to your replies and what you know about this strange nav system.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
How long did you give it to locate itself? Can take quiet a while with older systems if they have been off for some time.

My not-so-smart Mio phone always puts me somewhere in the midle of London when it powers up after battery failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When for an hours drive and it was very confused and did not find me, never mind guess its not really owrth the effort when i consider the little use it will get. Just nice to have things working as they should.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
I managed to get the Navtec to start up and show on the screen of my 3.0 year 2000 166. I went to current location and the screen was blue, I zoomed out and I found I was not in fact in North Wales but just off the coast of Holland. This really does not help when planning a route or help in any way. Does anyone have any experience of the standard Nav system in my car? could it be a bad disc? Does it use a GPS no longer in use? Seems cheaper to get a tomtom then buy an upgrade disc.

Looking forward to your replies and what you know about this strange nav system.
IIRC That rings distant bells a while ago on here.

Pomeo

·
Registered
933 Posts
If its showing you are just off of the Dutch coast, then maybe you need to Clog off and on again.......... I'll get my coat

If your Nav reader is a G2 (possible going on the age of your car), then a Tom Tom will be more expensive than an upgrade disc - because their is no upgrade disc! You would need to get hold of a G3 reader and later disc(s), which should be plug and play.

Tom Tom or other portable Sat Nav route would be easier to source and probably cheaper.... plus you would have the luxury of entering a destination by post code and you can even get a celebrity of your choice telling you the way to go (uncensored Ozzie Osbourne on my Tom Tom Go always gets the attention of first time passengers) :D

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
If you press 'info' it should tell you how many satellites it receiving. If 0 or 1 you have a bad gsm aerial or a cable connection.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
IIRC That rings distant bells a while ago on here.

Pomeo
Eye tot eye twa a pooty **** a tweeping up oan meee.
Eye did eye twa a poooty **** as cweer as he coood beee.
(EEdit. *** .Its a Flipping cat jist ask the wee yellow burd Not the one that sits way up high in banana tree..the one wie sylvester and granny.He sings aboot it awe ra time.)
Check oot

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/175140-166-sat-nav-stuck-in-rotterdam.html

No that it helps much but it reminds of a song (summit aboot amsterdan rotterdam and rome.) but at least the silly cone chip inside mah heid is still working...that reminds me of another song...Mandays bah humbug.:cheese:

Pomeo

·
Registered
761 Posts
No help from me but I can at least say that I have the same in my '99 G2 Super.

Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it puts me in the Firth Of Forth. When that happens, it's not a lack of satellite reception, as I've checked before and it had 6 satellites showing.

Sometimes it'll get confused and the arrow will just stop in one place and rotate around and around for ever more.

Basically, the crux of the issue is, it's old crap. Luckilly it doesn't bother me as if I need Sat Nav, I'd use something far more modern than that ****.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts