Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been on display at the front of my house since the start of the current campaign in Iraq, and I said I would only remove it when that particular campaign was over for British Forces. I know some will remain for a time, but the bulk are home coming shortly.

I listened to all the names of those who had lost their lives over there that was read out on radio four yesterday which I found most humbling, some of those having been from the family of RTR serving soldiers. We should all be proud of them regardless of the politics that sent them there, and we must always remember those who returned badly injured who need our continuing support. Bovington Track Day for Help for Heroes, for Alfa people? :):

If local parades are arranged to welcome them back as they gradually return home, we should show our support for them if it's at all possible too. We will always need them in these uncertain times, so a little flag waving will be most appreciated, so get out there if you can and show your appreciation folks.:):

As some will now be deployed to Afghanistan it's very important that they continue to know we will be thinking of them out there now as long as that deployment is on going. Well served lads and lassies, you did us proud as always regardless.:):

G

·
0 Posts
I would gladly support an event to benefit Help for Heroes...perhaps this is something we here on AO might want to organize ?

K

·
0 Posts
It's been on display at the front of my house since the start of the current campaign in Iraq, and I said I would only remove it when that particular campaign was over for British Forces. I know some will remain for a time, but the bulk are home coming shortly.

I listened to all the names of those who had lost their lives over there that was read out on radio four yesterday which I found most humbling, some of those having been from the family of RTR serving soldiers. We should all be proud of them regardless of the politics that sent them there, and we must always remember those who returned badly injured who need our continuing support. Bovington Track Day for Help for Heroes, for Alfa people? :):

If local parades are arranged to welcome them back as they gradually return home, we should show our support for them if it's at all possible too. We will always need them in these uncertain times, so a little flag waving will be most appreciated, so get out there if you can and show your appreciation folks.:):

As some will now be deployed to Afghanistan it's very important that they continue to know we will be thinking of them out there now as long as that deployment is on going. Well served lads and lassies, you did us proud as always regardless.:):
Couldn't have put it better myself.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Well put Zed

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys. The flag is a bit faded now as it's been up since 2003?:confused: So it really needs replacing in any event. The colours are still fairly distinguishable, red white and blue, and I have kept the Badge of that most esteemed regiment with the leak embossed alongside the flag, so they were not left out. CYMRU AM BYTH. Know the one? :):

R

·
0 Posts
ZF I salute you, that is a a great sentiment and a great thread, I live near the RNAS Yeovilton airbase and these guys have been doing tour after tour, Its time they were home, and when they are back from Iraq and Afghanistan I hope the people of this country have the dignity to refrain from demonstrating against them like the farce last month. :2:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you PG. :inlove: So right 81 Q.:thumbs: Now I really must get back to those bl**dy doors, so may be here again laters I hope.:):

S

·
0 Posts
Good post ZF.

I listened to the list of names being read out yesterday. When they came to those with the same rank as my son, I had a tear in my eye.

Luckily my son came home, others were less fortunate.

I didn't support going into Iraq, but this is not about the politics. Those who put themselves on the line for their country deserve our respect and thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe you could just replace it with one of these: Just thought I had better add that I am not linked in any way to Pigotts, the url is for info only. Hopefully Motorola will be flying this flag at their UK sites. No fractions please.

The MOD is encouraging councils, businesses and homes across the country to show their support for Britain's Armed Forces by flying a special flag designed for the occasion.

Armed Forces Day Flag
[Picture: MOD]

The Armed Forces Day Flag, available to order from today, Tuesday 28 April 2009, will be flown to mark the first ever national Armed Forces Day on Saturday 27 June 2009. This new annual event celebrates the UK's Armed Forces - past, present and future.

Hundreds of councils have pledged to raise the Armed Forces Day Flag at 1030hrs on Monday 22 June to officially commence a week of celebrations in honour of our Armed Forces, and now businesses and homes will be able to join them in showing their backing for the Forces.

The Prime Minister Gordon Brown said in Afghanistan yesterday:

"Britain's Armed Forces are second-to-none, and the whole country owes them an enormous debt of gratitude. Our troops risk their lives fighting the agents of terror here on the front line in Afghanistan to keep the streets of Britain safe, and they are a force for good standing up for the UK's interests right across the world.

"Armed Forces Day is our chance to say thank you. I'm proud to be out here in Helmand province launching the Armed Forces Day flags campaign - I urge everyone to send off for this specially designed flag and fly it with pride."

The centrepiece of the celebrations on 27 June will be at the Historic Dockyard Chatham in Kent and dozens of events are planned around the country to show appreciation for Her Majesty's Forces. Major celebrations will take place in Cardiff, Glasgow, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Nottingham, Southend, Edinburgh, Caernarfon, Birmingham, Manchester, Stirling and Plymouth, among others.

Service personnel of the past, present and future launch Armed Forces Day in front of HMS Gannet at the Historic Dockyard Chatham
[Picture: POA(Phot) Terry Seward]

Veterans Minister Kevan Jones said:

"The men and women of our Armed Forces make huge personal sacrifices to defend the UK and their efforts deserve support and recognition. Flying this new flag gives the public, businesses and councils across the country the chance to show their appreciation for the important job that they do.

"The purpose of Armed Forces Day is to celebrate what our veterans have already achieved, what our current personnel continue to achieve, and the opportunities the Armed Forces offer our future generations. The Armed Forces Day Flag sends out a clear message of gratitude that will be appreciated by all our Service personnel, past, present and future."

Armed Forces Day at Chatham will include flypasts by historic and current aircraft, including the Red Arrows, have-a-go activities with the Armed Forces, and a veterans parade. Cardiff will see displays from the RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team and the Parachute Regiment Freefall Team, along with music from the Central Band of the Royal Air Force and the Welsh Guards Band.

The design of the Armed Forces Day Flag is based on the Union Jack and it measures 5ft by 3ft (1.5m by 0.9m). Flags cost £10, which includes postage and packaging to UK addresses, VAT and a £1 donation by the flag supplier, Piggotts, to the Forces Children's Trust, a charity devoted to helping dependent children that have lost a parent serving with the Armed Forces.

Those interested in ordering an Armed Forces Day Flag should visit Buy Flags - Marquee Hire - Street Lighting - Piggotts UK - London Essex Surrey Sussex or email [email protected]

All orders must be received by 31 May 2009 to guarantee delivery by 19 June. Flags will be sent out from 1 June.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Zulu Ferret,

I heard the names read out yesterday, and I heard the reveille on Radio 4.

I also heard the comments on PM today.

I am finding it very difficult not compare the way the names were read out yesterday with that woman being arrested on the streets of London for doing much the same thing.

'We used our todays for your tomorrows'?

How does that sit with a civilian reading out the names of the fallen on the streets of London becoming a criminal offence?

Does a state sanctioned reading of names have anymore value, depth or integrity than a civilian doing it on the streets of London?

I am sad to say that I need the wall paper scraper and the heat gun to separate what I heard yesterday from a government spin operation. It's like the government know no depth to which they'll not stoop for their own political gain or marketing benefit.

I missed my last parade a few weeks ago, I was too disorganised and up too late. I shall try and make the next one.

Having spent time with someone today that joined the military from school before leaving after 15 years and pursued 2 jobs that serve us and myself as someone that grew up in married quarters I've a real issue with this regime in power.

The Gurkhas may have a right to stay and have a more valid claim than many that arrive at our shores, but has the spotlight been moved from those that will return from both conflicts with physical and mental injuries? What's being done for them? Is their lot on the up? What are their chances in Civvy Street given Brown's collusion in the global economic meltdown and basing the entire economy of Britain on a funny money fueled property price bubble?

They fought for our freedoms or our ability for us and our offspring to pay the price for Brown's incompetence and the greed of the banks?

Tomorrow I'll be passing a house that has a 30 foot steel flagpole outside and I'll see if the flags up, or whether they've lowered it.

Reading your comments has me teary. I wasn't yesterday.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Excellent post ZF. :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I've just got back from Plymouth. I can't find the photos in the hand me down camera phone, but I have found some old ones of a Flat Stanley and some young Bulls with fetching plastic earrings.

42 Commando based at Bickleigh just outside Plymouth paraded up and down Royal Parade. There was a pretty good atmosphere though I particularly unimpressed that a Taxi driver with the biggest Taxi firm in Plymouth failed to realise what was going on and got held for about 30 minutes at the roundabout onto the Eastern End of Royal Parade. There was also a woman with a prosthetic lower leg that got out of her car to ask one of the PCSOs what was going on at that roundabout too.

I can't share any photos. :(

There was a few musicians in dress uniform, and 42 Commando were wearing their Desert garb. It was a good that it stayed dry.

I spotted a Marine in his Desert Uniform pushing a kiddie around M&S in a pushchair. He was turning a few heads.

I wandered around the shops after. I hate clothes shopping. I spotted the folk musician Seth Lakeman in Next.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Couldn't agree more ZF, never supported the war but will always support the troops!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts