Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys!

I'm having a really nasty wind whistle at 80+ km/h, at lower speeds I don't hear anything.

The car is LHD if that matters, there's no water or wind coming through the seals, windows are closed shut, I've done the up+down+hold for 10 seconds calibration = same stuff.

I do suspect it's the wing mirror cover that's the source of the wind, I've also seen some topics here in which people mention that there could be a bolt missing under the cover ?!

I can't find a specific to-do tutorial do remove the cover, do I need to remove the whole door cartage?

I did find a step on the door cartage removal here: https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/147_GT_door_card_removal.shtml

https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/565-9-800.jpg

Can I just Prise off the wing mirror corner trim?

Thanks!:grumpy:

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
359 Posts
Try taping over the splits in the trim, until you find the spot when it stops the whistling. It's what we used to do in the workshop I was in as well. On my 156, it seems to be the top edge of the door - but I've learned to live with it, as it's mostly an issue in strong side winds, and at speeds above 150kmh.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar thing from the window on my GT. While investigating, it emerged that a previous owner had removed the internal cover and not put it back correctly. There’s a rubber seal that has a vertical groove in it. The end of the internal cover (that points to the rear of the car) has to sit in this groove so that there is seal on both the inside and outside. Whoever had put mine back together didn’t have any seal on the outside and it made made a huge difference to the noise. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar thing from the window on my GT. While investigating, it emerged that a previous owner had removed the internal cover and not put it back correctly. There’s a rubber seal that has a vertical groove in it. The end of the internal cover (that points to the rear of the car) has to sit in this groove so that there is seal on both the inside and outside. Whoever had put mine back together didn’t have any seal on the outside and it made made a huge difference to the noise. Worth checking out.
Kiddo, can you post a picture?

I did remove my passenger window plastic cover and everything looked fine:

3 bolts were in place
No wind coming from it
Rubber seals were fine.
The inside of the plastic cover did have foam material to kill off any sound or wind I guess?

I'm looking for any offers guys, every time I go over 80km/h I can hear, but not feel the breeze...

I think I might start taping some parts of the car to see where exactly does the sound come from... I just need someone to drive me around hehe...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I finally have pin-pointed my whistle!

Alfa Romeo GT Driver Side Door Mirror Seal if anyone knows the part number for it I would highly appreciate it!

It's the equivalent for this, but for the other side...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts