Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a problem with my GTV v6 phase 2

During the recent good weather I started to notice a bit of a rattle/ticking when I was driving with the windows down, it got worse over a couple of days (hardly any miles)

Now it sounds like the noise those kid toy chattering teeth make...

Even the slightest touch of the clutch makes it disappear. It happens in gear and in neutral, rate of chattering increases with engine speed. With the bonnet up, I can pull the clutch arm a bit and the noise goes away or push it a bit and it gets worse.

Anyone had his? I'm thinking it's the clutch release bearing, but could it be something more than that?

If it is the clutch, is £550 that Autolusso quote about right?

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it is the clutch release bearing, and I don't think £500ish is too bad for a job that will take most of a day (not something I can tackle myself).

I just don't want it to be a gearbox issue, but as it happens in or out of gear I'm hoping that is less likely?

·
Registered
534 Posts
my cup is having the same issue.
but having the gearbox out and stripped down it has been found that the input shaft bearings were badly worn and needed replacing.
it also needs a new clutch and flywheel as the one in mine at the moment is shaagged after just over a year for some reason (and its not my driving) :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my cup is having the same issue.
but having the gearbox out and stripped down it has been found that the input shaft bearings were badly worn and needed replacing.
it also needs a new clutch and flywheel as the one in mine at the moment is shaagged after just over a year for some reason (and its not my driving) :)
That sounds expensive :-(
Does your noise disappear with a slight press of the clutch pedal (not enough to operate it, even resting a foot on it!). I'd hoped that points to clutch rather than gearbox...

·
Registered
896 Posts
i don't think its your release bearing on the clutch, mine has a noisy release bearing and they make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed. input shft bearing more likely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:-( sounds more expensive than a replacement clutch... Trying not to get too depressed about it, I've done less than 500 miles since buying it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took a drive over to Palmer & Phillips in Oxford today for them to take a very quick look. A couple of miles from home the noise disappeared! They had a quick look and think it's likely to need a new clutch in the near future as he could feel a bit of judder.

On the way home, on a fast bit of dual carriageway, the clutch started to slip badly in all gears... Lots of smoke :-(

So, I'm in the market for a new clutch sharpish!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of the failed release bearing has exited through the gearbox casing... It's having to be welded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts