Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people!

this is a creaking - suspension related thread. I did my research on the topic (there is plenty about it) but I did not find anything similar to my case, thus the post.

I thought I could hear an occasional creak (different from the usual creaks) from the begining of last week while driving to work, but I didnt pay attention.

Today, went for a drive in the city, and as I was stuck in traffic, the following happened: everytime the car was moving and rolling (around 10mph - you know, heavy traffic style) a constant nasty creaking sound :eek: :eek: :eek: was coming from the back of the car (i think so, my girlfriend thought it was the front). By accelerating a bit, the creaks were disappearing. No bumps or any anomalies on the road.

To give you an idea of how it sounded, it was something like a submarine going way too deep, and the pressure squashing it.

When I got home, I started bouncing the car from all sides and from the boot, and although I got some creaks, I could not replicate the nasty creak I got while in traffic. Also, on purpose I got the car through bumps and holes on my way home, and although I got some mild creaks (which I used to get before anyway), again it was nothing like the nasty stuff.

Any ideas of what it may be? Am I heading for new suspension? I have around 58000miles on the clock.

Thank you!
Solomon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If its from the back I would suspect a rear wheel hub bush. Jack the car up and turn the wheel gently by hand. Its not under the weight of the car then so not conclusive but you may be lucky and hear the creak translated to a slight squeak at a certain wheel position. Give the wheel a wobble to see if it has any play (best be on axle stands for extra safety)

If its from the front then it could be the hub bush or CV joint.

Of course the best thing to do is drive down the road slowly with someone walking next to you to identify which corner it's from ;)

Post back with more detail and I`m sure we can all be a bit more accurate for you. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello again!

Some new findings about this problem....

1. Yesterday my girlfriend was in the car, and nasty creaking appeared (same characteristics as previously). I find this a bit weird, since she is only 50Kg.......when I am driving alone, there are some squeaks and creaks but nowhere near the nastyness of these ones!

2. Today I jacked the car up, and gave the rear wheels a spin. The drivers side rear wheel was not turning as freely as the passenger side one. I could hear the disk rubbing with the pad. However, not a single squeak or creak.......then I went to the passenger side. The wheel was turning freely without any noises again. BUT: the minute I lowered the car to the ground, creaking noises started (not loud) coming from the passenger rear wheel area, WITHOUT the car moving or me bouncing it up and down :eek: :eek: As I still had the handbrake free, I pushed the car a bit forwards from the wheel and the noises stopped. They re-appeared the moment it stopped rolling, went on for a while and then silence......isnt this weird? I hope I am not driving around with a broken suspension or something.....am I?

I really need to start fixing things, cause my "to fix" list is growing rapidly.....cambelt and tensioners are my priority though....

·
Registered
657 Posts
solpap said:
Hello again!

Some new findings about this problem....

1. Yesterday my girlfriend was in the car, and nasty creaking appeared (same characteristics as previously). I find this a bit weird, since she is only 50Kg.......when I am driving alone, there are some squeaks and creaks but nowhere near the nastyness of these ones!

2. Today I jacked the car up, and gave the rear wheels a spin. The drivers side rear wheel was not turning as freely as the passenger side one. I could hear the disk rubbing with the pad. However, not a single squeak or creak.......then I went to the passenger side. The wheel was turning freely without any noises again. BUT: the minute I lowered the car to the ground, creaking noises started (not loud) coming from the passenger rear wheel area, WITHOUT the car moving or me bouncing it up and down :eek: :eek: As I still had the handbrake free, I pushed the car a bit forwards from the wheel and the noises stopped. They re-appeared the moment it stopped rolling, went on for a while and then silence......isnt this weird? I hope I am not driving around with a broken suspension or something.....am I?

I really need to start fixing things, cause my "to fix" list is growing rapidly.....cambelt and tensioners are my priority though....
Does the car feel tail happy when driving? If so, sounds like the rear stub axle bush.

Get yourself to a reasonable garage to get checked out - if it is, make sure they do not heat the replacement bush.... just don't ask me how I know this, trust me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts