Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this week's Auto Express, which reports Alfa will decide in two months' time whether to scrap numerical model names and go back to 'proper' ones starting with the Junior. Got to be better surely.:cool:

The article (it's only short, doesn't seem to be online yet) also mentions that 60% of UK dealers have been booted out and by the end of the year there will be only 50 left.

And there's a separate review of the Spider...3 out of 5 and a heart over head decision if you buy one apparently. Now where have I heard that before. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I brought that mag, well i think i did?, theres 2 mags very similar in which both come out on wednesdays, they also looked at the Alfa junior/racer, and how they are going to be aiming for huge sales to rival the Mini (in which they were thinking of sharing the same platform as the mini)

·
Vendor
46,146 Posts
I don't mind names, but if they call a car Junior I'll be disappointed. Brera sounds lovely, just rolls of the tongue. GT is simple but appropriate, Spider is nice but not very original. What are they going to call the new 169 if not 169? If Junior is anything to go by its likely to be called Daddy! :eek:

·
Vendor
46,146 Posts
Terrible, but not quite as bad as "Skoda Roomster" or "Kia C'eed". The yalways make me laugh when I hear them :cheese:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dunno really, it wouldn't be my bag but then again it's meant to compete with the Mini. Junior/Mini....makes a certain amount of sense.

The article also says Alfa are conscious they don't want to come up with names that only appeal to enthusiasts and therefore make the brand look like an 'anorak' or 'outcast'! But Giulietta and Alfasud could both return apparently.:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Terrible, but not quite as bad as "Skoda Roomster" or "Kia C'eed". The yalways make me laugh when I hear them :cheese:
Yeah, always helps if customers know how to pronounce it. C'eed..Qashqui.....I can only assume the focus group was held in a different langauge to mine :cheese:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
The trouble with names is that they have to be easy to say in any language, they have to not be something rude or funny in any language and they have to be names that no-one else has a patent on.

Fiat had to rename the Ritmo (Strada) when it came to the UK as apparently it's difficult to say (?) in English and is also the name of a sanitary towel.

GM had trouble with the Nova (No va = doesn't work in Spanish) and even Rolls Royce produced a titter with the Silver Mist (i.e. fart in German).

So, you see manufacturters re-cycling old model names (Panda, Bravo, Croma and also therefore probably Junior and Giulietta).

Numbers avoid a lot of the problems, though you couldn't have an Alfa 205 or 911. But more people have more trouble remembering model numbers than model names, so it looks likely that AR will bring back names, despite the "problems" that go with that.

BTW, I think "Junior" sounds okay. People will get it and it will quickly pass into the vernacular. No-one s******* when my mate Paul says he "has a Mini One". :cheese:

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
They also had to rename the 164 in one Asian country ;)

Not sure if I like the idea of returning to "old" names, it's like dragging the Beetle and Mini names from the past, where thy should stay, instead of re-inventing them for marketing purposes.

But perhaps it'll make the cars more friendly if cold numbers aren't used???

wrinx

·
Administrator
46,145 Posts
This reminds me of a rant my gran had when I was a nipper. She didn't see why all these pretentious buggers who make cars had to give them names, what's wrong with a simple number? Apparently, you know where you are with a number.
Unfortunately, the car she picked to illustrate her point about pretentious non-numeric names was.... the Fiat Cinquecento :cheese:
I don't think I ever bothered explaining, it would have spoilt her rant. :D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Safer to stick with numbers. I recall the public ridicule over the Kappa. Great machine, the name was differently interpreted over here!!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts