The Fall (when on form) on numerous occasions
Jesus and Mary Chain
The Mondays
Iggy
Barry White
Prince at Maine Road

all great

the worst should have been one of the best

New Order in Newcastle - the venue was really small and you were right up at the stage............and they were great as a band, but Sumner could not muster a yelp all evening.....his voice (such as it is) vanished and all we got was this strangled sulky whine. Sulk is the right word an all, cos he whinged throughout.

Oh.....Teenage Fan Club

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS :cool:

R

·
0 Posts
Loads to choose from but probably Led Zeppelin at Green's Playhouse, Glasgow on 4th Dec 1972. :)

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
While The Offspring are my favourite band and, have played some of my best gigs. My standout gig has to be Machine Head at the Manchester Academy in 2004. Awesome band, full building and they played The Burning Red in full in the middle of the set!

Then again, Foo Fighters at Wembley was awesome!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Not my favourite band by a long chalk but I remember the Eurythmics a while back who played a rockin gig, a revelation.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
First one I ever went to. It was that long ago I forget the exact year. 1977,78 or 79. Thin Lizzy at the Apollo. I am off to see them again at the Apollo in Manchester tomorrow.

Think there is only two people Scot Gorham and Brian Downey that were in that band back in the late 70's. Darren Wharton is there too but he appeared in the 80's I think.

The best probably because it was my first.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Funnily enough my first proper gig was also Thin Lizzy, at the Empire Pool Wembley in '78.
They were a fantastic live band at their peak with Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham playing those great harmonising guitar parts:cool: They also made good use of an impressive light show and well timed smokey explosions - all very impressive to an innocent 15 year old :)

Even now I think a lot of their songs have stood the test of time and are really good rock/pop tunes, so similarly to Malcqv, partly because it was my first gig I'll give it the prize:thumbs:

Other notables coming randomly to mind from a very long list would be

The Neville Brothers (1989?)- Forum

Iggy Pop (1979) Hammersmith Palais

Ian Dury & the Blockheads (1978) Hammersmith Odeon

Stevie Ray Vaughan (1986?) Hammersmith Palais

Rory Gallagher (1978) The Venue

Tower of Power (2006?) Ronnie Scott's

Johnny Winter (1978) The Venue

These are mainly going back a long way and some at fairly large venues that I would avoid nowadays, preferring small clubs where I can see and hear well.

Oh, just remembered a couple of years back Amy Winehouse at the Shepherds Bush Empire (the one that got released on DVD) fantastic concert:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Have had many good experiences with live events, too many to mention but...

Went to see a band live in Nottingham where we stayed overnight in the local hotel, after the show we returned to the hotel bar for a quiet drink, when all non residents had left the band (who were also staying in the Hotel) came into the bar and joined the few people who remained.
We then spent a couple of very nice hours drinking, chatting, playing pool etc. with them. They happily signed programmes etc., sometimes with personal messages, so the night out turned into something special.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
First one I ever went to. It was that long ago I forget the exact year. 1977,78 or 79. Thin Lizzy at the Apollo. I am off to see them again at the Apollo in Manchester tomorrow.
I'm jealous that you got to see Lizzy live in their heyday, I dunno who you're going to see tomorrow but it aint Lizzy without Phil.

Best concert I ever went to was Def Leppard, Thunder, Ugly Kid Joe and Terrovision and Sheffield Donne Valley in 1993, I;ve never been to a concert with so many encores, middle of june, beautiful day and Leppard AND Thunder both at the top of their game.

Most mental concert was The Smashing Pumpkins on the Siamese Dream tour at Leeds T&C, it was a heath and safety nightmare, the first 40 rows was a mosh pit, I was right at the front up against the barriers and I spent the entire concert with my arms locked either side of a girl who would have been crushed if I hadn't the barrier was flexing every time the crowd surged, scary it was.

People were fainting in the crowd and being lifted up and rolled forward to be caught by security guards but the concert carried on. there was sweat running down the walls and dripping off the ceiling it was that hot.

Mental.... but good at the same time, I always think though, if the barrier had failed I wouldn't be here today.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Roger waters doing the Wall about 6 months after he split.
I also saw Pink floyds version about 5 yrs later. His was better the effects he used were amazing and then some

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
For having a laugh
Carter USM, Dec 2011 in Manchester. Crowd of 40 year old blokes having a laugh.

Memorable experience
Coldplay October 2002. It was our 1st official date and we had a ball.

Worst experience
Manic Street Preachers. Supported Oasis at Knebworth and looked as though they couldn't be arsed.

Most unexpected.
Bic Runga, She supported Aqualung at the Lowry in Manchester and she blew us all away with her songs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Saturday 12 July 1986 - Wembley Stadium

INXS
The Alarm
Status Quo

and Freddy Mercury & the boys

One of the best days of my life

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
Best ever?

The one I remember most vivid/blurredly was my first big gig ever: Pink Floyd performing Atom Heart Mother in Ahoy, Rotterdam, 1971.

Another one that still has my ears ringing is Emmerson, Lake & Palmer - same venue, 1973

And Zappa of course. Multiple times, brilliant every time.

And King Crimson. Discipline.

One of the very nicest small venue concerts was Herman Brood & his wild romance in a bar in Alkmaar in the early 80ies of the previous century...

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
david bowie doing his ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars, i was 14 and never been to a gig before, i have been a life long fan ever since and tried to see all his major gigs and sone of his not so major gigs.

alice cooper, late 70's, aweome and have seen him a few times since, most recently nov2010 and still awesome

.slipknot, a bloody mazing live band

rammstein, again amazing and going to see them again next month

stone sour, avenged sevenfold, five finger deathpunch, HIM, dommin, motorhead, metallica, iron maiden, within temptation....and loads of others

the worst was definetely linkin park, they forgot the words to songs and were totally rubbish considering the tickets were bloomin exensive, venue was rubbish, LG, i hate the LG, stayed the night and got home and someone had smashed my drivers side window on babe2, so not a good time

1 - 20 of 106 Posts