Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my driveshaft snap on my way to work pulled out of a junction and bang it snapped
can anyone tell me how it comes out of gearbox do i just pull it? And how it goes back is just push back in job? I can see how it comes apart from hub but not gearbox my car is a 98 2ltr 156 many thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
"Pulls out" is a bit optimistic. The circip on the end of the shaft holds it inside the gearbox. You normally need a sharp whack with a hammer and chisel to release it.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yep, I'd go with FCM's analogy there. Nothing a hammer won't fix!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the repiles,how long roughly should the job take changing n/s shaft

·
Registered
84 Posts
HI
does anyone know if theres a write up for removing the Driveshaft, because i'm not sure either
and dont wanna break anything!
thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is pretty simple just put some leverage on the driveshaft away from the gearbox and give it a sharp tap with a hammer and it will come out, as said earlier the end of the splined shaft has a circular spring that expands into a grove which holds the shaft in place.

One thing that was not mentioned in the post is that when the shaft is removed there will be some oil spillage.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
HI
does anyone know if theres a write up for removing the Driveshaft, because i'm not sure either
and dont wanna break anything!
thanks
Smaky's recommendation:

Undo the hub nut (36mm), undo the hub to upper wishbone ball joint (17mm), undo the drop link balljoint (17mm), remove the shock fork to lower arm bolt (19mm) and then undo the ring of 6 hex bolts around the inner CVjoint (6mm hex). Then with a bit of wiggling the shaft just slips out!

I must get myself a 36mm impact socket.... :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to bother you all again but..
The inner driverside driveshaft the manual say remove three bolts and it'll slide but..
i've tryed wiggling it, hammer and chisel and begging it but..
its just not budging!!! :cry:
BTW the outer driveshaft out.
Help dearly dearly appreciated :)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
But you just need to undo the 6 hex bolts and the drive shaft is free of the gearbox drive. Why do you want to get the other part out of the gearbox? Seals?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts