Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I will be going over to the ring in summer 2012 but was wondering what to do with my car to prep it for the ring? The car is standard at the mo .

Any thoughts on mods

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
New racing brake fluid, decent (PF) pads, fresh oil / full service, a Q2 if not already fitted & decent tyres.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Decent upgrade discs an pads. Fresh fluids, fresh rubber an make sure car is tip top. Have fun

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know if this will be your first trip to the ring or if you've been before. I went once and paid the price for thinking I was better than I was. My tip is to enjoy yourself and not worry at all about timing your laps. Just drive and enjoy it within your and the cars limits. Its VERY expensive if you get it wrong.

I keep an eye on the bridgetogantry website and found the following article on 'playstation heroes'......makes interesting reading!!

PlayStation Heroes at the Nurburgring

enjoy!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the advise guys, do you think coilovers would help? I will be getting some pf pads and a q2 diff.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if this will be your first trip to the ring or if you've been before. I went once and paid the price for thinking I was better than I was. My tip is to enjoy yourself and not worry at all about timing your laps. Just drive and enjoy it within your and the cars limits. Its VERY expensive if you get it wrong.

I keep an eye on the bridgetogantry website and found the following article on 'playstation heroes'......makes interesting reading!!

PlayStation Heroes at the Nurburgring

enjoy!!

I've been before but not in a alfa lol, don't worry I'm no boy racer I will take it easy around the track nice and steady :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Let us know how you got mate and I agree don't try and be vettel enjoy and also would like to know your top speed on a straight, have fun

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I've got some FSDs and Eibach springs fitted to mine if you want to have a go, TBH it's a good setup and will make a difference at speed.

·
Vendor
45,765 Posts
Shocks and spring upgrading would deffo make it better though, but not essencial.
Depends how worn out they are, I had the opportunity to drive a 17k mile 156 GTA a couple of years ago and was astounded at how good it felt to drive on the roads around my area, I suppose this was comparing it with my 3 litre on FSDs & Eibachs at the time which was also very good but in a more focussed & a bit less comfortable sort of way.

Drive an 80k mile GTA on standard shocks & springs on the same roads and it will be a different story, you will be bracing yourself everytime you see a pothole..

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I agree, the GTA STD shocks are better than most, but yeah age definatly does impact on the ride. I took out a fellow owner for a blast the other week and he was amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
First aid kit, warning triangle, headlight deflectors, GB sticker/numberplates.
To drive there via France you will need a high vis jacket and if you go via Belgium you will need to carry a fire extinguisher as well.

If you were going to modify your car anyway then listen to the advice given by others in this thread but if not then don't bother doing anything, just make sure it's in good condition and roadworthy. The Nurburgring is not a place to be pushing the limits of your car and it's not a race.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have taken mine down three times now, in varying degrees of modification, and will go in September again this year hopefully. Have to echo what people are asying about brakes, it should be the first thing (and decent tyres) you think about (i have 330mm with DS2500, Dot 5.1 fluid and braided hoses). I always have a general service and check up (oil/collant etc etc) before going, it's not just the track, you are also driving 500 miles round to get there and back (from Essex at least, so further from over west where you are).

The thing that struck me on my first lap were the drops and ascents in the circuit, no amount of PS3 work can prepare you for those. If you get the chance to follow someone round who has been before, but is not a complete nutter, first then do it, it helped me a lot.

The circuit is very difficult to memorise so it's best to not try, and just enjoy the experience, or concentrate on remebering sections, I tend to split: Start to Schwedenkreuz - then from there to Bergwerk and (ignoring the long up hill bit with not many tight corners), Steilstrecke to Dottinger Hohe.

Also, if you can find out when it's open, last year you were able, when the main circuit was closed, to pay €38 for 20 minutes on the GP (short) circuit. Entirely different experience with acres of run-off and precious little danger.

Sorry for going a bit off topic there as I know you only wnated to know how to prep the car but it is difficult not to get enthusiastic about the place....Petrolheads Nirvana :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oops!:)

I think it is a relatively new thing. The Nordschliefe was shut as it wast he day the ACR Vipers were trying to set a new record and I suppose they wanted to get some income.

I must admit I was expecting a safety briefing etc but you just paid your money and then drove ino the pits where you were waved on to the circuit in groups of ....whoever was queued up at the right time! We did about three sessions and on one there was only us (5 cars: my GTA, my brothers Maserati 4200, two GT3's and an M6) and one other car on the circuit. It was a little surreal.

I did get a fairly decent video of it but the sound is a bit unpleasant as the air conditioning fan chose this moment to dislodge and chew it's way out leaving a lot of shredded plastic in the passenger footwell:eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts