Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following symptoms?

My 1998 156 V6 Veloce is currently parked in a barn being gradually resurrected but when I paid her a visit this week for routine fiddling, the battery was completely dead.
Something wasn't right as 10 days previously the car was driven around for 20 miles, the battery was in rude health and everything was fine. When I leave the car, I don't arm the alarm and all the interior lights are left switched off.

This time when I charged the battery and reconnected it, the front 4 indicators came on and stayed on but the car started and ran perfectly. The indicators won't function and neither does the hazard warning switch, which seems to point towards a short in the indicator circuit which must have developed whilst the car was standing unused?
Seeing as the front and side wing indicators stay on solidly whenever the battery is connected and won't switch off, I guess the short must be in their wiring somewhere?

Anyone like to hazard a guess?
Cheers

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Charge the battery disconnect the switches {not easy in the case of the hazard} and see if they go out.. if not then try relay then fuses.. once they have been sorted so they go off leave that item off and see if the battery drains..
if the column switch hazard switch or relay doesn't turn them off but the fuses does i,m guessing wiring.. but maybe just a faulty switch

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for suggestions fellas, looks like a boring afternoon fiddling with wiring is ahead....:depressed:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some further invetigations, the fuses and indicater relay are all fine. An auto electrican has suggest that the Meta alarm may have a problem. The issue with the indicator lights coming on happens a minute or so after connecting the battery, so it is obviously sporadic, which seems to point more to an electronic problem, rather than a simple wiring short.
Maybe I should call "Abacus" about this and see what they say?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Abacus?:confused:

It may come down to an inline multimeter and pulling fuses to measure current draw.
If doing so, leave doors open as necessary but put the latches in closed position to switch off interior lights etc. Give it a couple of minutes before disconnecting battery to let ALL power go through a multimeter (20amp) or preferably just measure with an inductive meter.

If not sure about the multimeter method, don't try.

Pulling fuses one by one is possibly the way to go.

·
Registered
938 Posts
if the votage rectifier is busted it will draw power fixed mine and all sored it is behind the regulator on the alternator there is s youtube vid that shows how to test if rectifier is faulty

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Abacus?:confused:

It may come down to an inline multimeter and pulling fuses to measure current draw.
If doing so, leave doors open as necessary but put the latches in closed position to switch off interior lights etc. Give it a couple of minutes before disconnecting battery to let ALL power go through a multimeter (20amp) or preferably just measure with an inductive meter.

If not sure about the multimeter method, don't try.

Pulling fuses one by one is possibly the way to go.
I did this already and pulling fuses F12 and F14 both stop the issue......wierd.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome To Abacus Car Alarms

They deal with Meta alarms but I spoke to them and 156’s were never fitted with Meta alarms, only GTV’s.
Anyway, the fault seems linked to the alarm so I’ll try disconnecting it and take it from there.
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. :thumbup:

Reactions: Fruity
1 - 9 of 9 Posts