Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Sprint QV in New Zealand, 1.7L engine.

Does anybody know what this Lucas box is supposed to do? It's located near the brake m/c (RHD car) and not far from the wiper motor. It has a large 6 (I think) pin connector with thick wires, but it's disconnected. Yet...Everything seems to work on the car. I can't find it in any circuit diagram I've looked at. It doesn't have a part number.

Theories:
- intermittent wiper relay? But the wipers work in the intermittent position. And I think that's a the box on the opposite side under the coil
- voltage regulator? But surely Alfa had internal regulator alternators by 1988 - and charging voltage is normal
- foglight interlock of some kind? I like this idea but can't prove it because the car is 7000 miles away.

any other thoughts?

Thanks,

-Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thoughts: long shot but may have been a side light / main light link up. In the late 80's some cars had these fitted so that if you where on side lights some power also went to the main lights so if you forgot to turn from side to main you could still bee seen. My 1987 Nova had one which went wrong and so lights stayed on. Solution by main dealer was to simply disconnect as they were always failing. It looked very much like this. Could be fog light idea. If you look at it it is designed to dissipate heat.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Thoughts: long shot but may have been a side light / main light link up. In the late 80's some cars had these fitted so that if you where on side lights some power also went to the main lights so if you forgot to turn from side to main you could still bee seen. My 1987 Nova had one which went wrong and so lights stayed on. Solution by main dealer was to simply disconnect as they were always failing. It looked very much like this.
"Dim Dip"
Could be.
My 1994 Fiat Cinq has it and I thought the idea was great, don't know why it was dropped. With HIDs coming along it wouldn't be possible with those, so could be why.

That pic looks similar to this: Transformer/Main Relay - Dim-Dip Control Unit - Genuine Land Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnpm and David C - Thanks! I'm pretty sure that will be it - I've never heard of the Dim-Dip function but it seems to fit - and that LandRover part photo does look exactly like it. I wish I could find an Alfa cct diagram that showed it, but I'm thinking it's probably okay to leave it unplugged.

Thanks again,

-Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts