Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I was servicing/ fixing my lock and I'd taken off the door card of my 3 door.

I had dropped something inside the metal part of the door behind the soundproofing white sheet.

When feeling around for it I found a spring in the bottom.
It finally snapped in my hand ('lucky' as I don't know if I'd have found the broken off piece or known to look/ feel for it)

I am wondering if anyone might know where this is meant to go please?

It's a 3 door 147 but I assume it could be very similar for a 156 and GT?

I found it in the centre so directly below the window adjuster pivot where the window sits or perhaps it's from the inner door handle?

I can't imagine it's something I could get hold of a replacement for without buying a load of associated parts even from a breakers but you never know.

I was thinking I might be able to fashion a copy part out of a spare spring or wire.....

But finding out where it belongs might be tricky!

Many thanks for suggestions/ help!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Interior door handle return spring? It looks the same as the one that broke in my 156, now the handle doesn't want to spring back, does your door handle works ok?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I think it is more likely to be a spring from the latch mechanism (which springs in such a way to repel a lever from its median position).

The inner handle spring has more coils around the shaft and is not possible to come off its shaft.

If my idea is right, Is suspect some malfunctioning of the for latch or in the door locking. It may be the for needs to be pushed shut very slowly from outside to close the door properly. Or it could be operating the inner handle cannot unlock the mechanism then simultaneously move into open position.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interior door handle return spring? It looks the same as the one that broke in my 156, now the handle doesn't want to spring back, does your door handle works ok?
Hi thanks I checked that out.

that spring seems intact and larger than the broken one.

here’s a photo:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is more likely to be a spring from the latch mechanism (which springs in such a way to repel a lever from its median position).

The inner handle spring has more coils around the shaft and is not possible to come off its shaft.

If my idea is right, Is suspect some malfunctioning of the for latch or in the door locking. It may be the for needs to be pushed shut very slowly from outside to close the door properly.
Thanks Fruity,

yes it could be the latch then; the task which correlates to the other post you’ve helped out on: the latch I’ve freed up and need to lubricate.

The latch seems to work fine now, but that spring belongs somewhere.
I’ve saved little springs over the years so I’ll have a go at fashioning a replacement then dismantle further...

I’ve not taken the latch unit out yet...
Partly to do with the weather too.

I’ve just been outside trying to fit in a new rubber grommet in the window hole. The other one has perished away.
The window works but since the door card is off it’s be good to finally fix this (would’ve preferred a dryer day).
If I leave it too long without the grommet the glass may start to (if it hasn’t already) cut a groove in the pivot on the up and down slidey thing. Regulator I believe is the word used?
The thing is it seems tricky to put the grommet in in situ and taking out the glass is proving tricky. No videos online that I’ve seen I think maybe take away more trim around the frame.
I’ll persevere wish me good luck!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
From what I remember the window glass is held to the regulator (technical term; up and down slidey thing) by a plastic catch which loops around the bottom of the window. I'm sure it is meant to pull down slightly which aligns the hole over the end of the rivet/clip so the inner bit can pull off to the centre of the car).

See 6.25 to 6.50 in this video.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to remove the glass.
The trick was to release the vertical trim at the end nearest the handle/ opening end of the door/ rear.
In the trim is a channel whereby there is the small plastic tab that is stuck on the glass that slides up and down the channel.
Then the glass was able to be taken out.
It is tricky!
I put the grommet on then reassembled.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wondered if the spring was to do with the lock barrel?
As in when the key goes in and is rotated to lock or unlock; there is a spring to return it to vertical.
I checked this and that function is intact..

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Could be...
Activate both door locks with inner and outer handles and also try locking and unlocking with the key to see if you can feel a difference in operation.
In afraid I've not had to take the outer handles or latch out of one of our cars.
Lucky me.🙄

1 - 9 of 9 Posts