Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a battery problem with my 166 Super. If I leave the car standing for more than a few days, the battery goes flat, despite me replacing it. I checked all the fuses with an ammeter, and it seems to be the DSP Amplifier in the boot. If I pull out the fuse that dangles just behind the battery/CD stack, the amp reading drops from 0.25 to 0.02 amps.

I've now replaced the DSP with one off ebay, but it's still the same reading.

First of all, anyone know the normal drain level on a 166 with Satnav/DSP etc when it's off? Secondly, can anyone suggest what else could be causing this drain if it's not the actual DSP unit?

I've been lurking on this site for a year now, it's been most helpful with sorting out my niggles! Now I'm slowly getting bored with pulling out this fuse in the boot, so I hope you can help with this problem too...

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I had a similar problem with my first 166, i foudn it to be the boot light. disconnected it and no drain.

then a year later re-connected it and the problem had "vanished"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bootlight does go out, but I'll give it a try anyway...

About the DSP, afraid I'll have to disappoint you on that one - it had its own issues - only played through one speaker at a time. At least I've now got the full set going again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same trouble-Changed the battery but still no good and then I noticed the positive battery clamp had broken(it appears to be vey poor quality-two bits of tin inside a plastic housing)-replaced it and the battery now charges properly and had no bother for the last six months.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, checked the battery clamp on the positive terminal - Nothing seems to be wrong. Can't be the same as yours, as there's no plastic housing for this, just two thick and two thin cables attached to a metal bracket that fits onto the terminal. Seems very sturdy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
166 battery drain

Hi did you solve this battery drain problem i have been trying to cure it for over six months would be grateful of any solutions thanks Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, still got the same problem, just keep the amp fuse pulled out (and fuse 4 under the dash too, to save an extra 0.1 amp drain!)

This way the car's happy parked up for two weeks if need be (Probably for a lot longer!)

I tried an ICS swap last weekend, no difference.

I'm starting to think 0.3 Amp drain is normal. Have you tested yours with an ammeter Alan?

I'm beginning to think my real issue is a weak alternator... Will investigate further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi its not my alternator, i have put a completly charged battery on the car not even started it,left it for a few days even unlocked and the known good battery is flat, i have had this problem since i bought the car two years ago, last time a checked the background current drain it was .4 amps unless i find another solution i will install a switch to break the circuit instead of removing the fuse every time i leave the car thanks for the help any more ideas please get in touch thanks Alan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking at all this it could actually be the alternator. There are three diodes in the alternator each of which can go wrong causing different symptoms of charging faults. If you get the right diode gone the car will charge as normal but there WILL be a constant drain on the battery when the car is left off.
As for the DSP, I wouldnt of thought it would drain as much as 0.2 amps or so... is there a remote wire that powers up the amp from the ICS? If its like other sound amps it might not be powering down so the amp remains on standby drawing current. Just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi if it is the alternator, is the only sure way to find out by replacement of the unit, i have replaced alernators on other cars,not so sure how expensive and difficult it would be on a 166 thanks again for your help alan

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Hi if it is the alternator, is the only sure way to find out by replacement of the unit, i have replaced alernators on other cars,not so sure how expensive and difficult it would be on a 166 thanks again for your help alan
On the V6 it is very simple...On the alternator ...2 connectors and two bolts on the alternator after removing the plastic inner wheel arch .To get it out you have to remove one end of the drop link.

I think most will go flat after leaving unattended for sevreal weeks...The handbook suggests if leaving unattended then there is a method of switching off the internal alarm sensor.I think they advise you this for a reason.

Pomeo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi thanks for the info will make a few more checks before going ahead with a replacement,it does sound like the way to a permanent cure, it would be nice to be able to leave the car for a few days with confidence thanks again Alan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah make sure you have a good look at the alternator before buying one.
Im always leaving the car for weeks and sometimes months on end without touching it but Ive always disconnected the battery. When I get back I re-connect and it always starts on the button without needing a charge. Obviously though it should be fine leaving it several days with no issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts