Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today, got into my car and turned the ignition on. The dash immediately said "Dynamic/All Weather Unavailable" (I had my car in AW, due to the rain) and flipped to normal. Thinking nothing of it, I started my car and drove off and put it back into AW. 500 metres later, the EML comes on and the car goes into limp mode. Yay having to do 60 kilometres at 60 km/h.

What are the possible reasons? My gut tells me it is the turbo. If so, does the Arnold Chatz extended warranty cover the turbo? (I'm taking the car to Chatz on Monday.)

Not a good way to start 2017.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Be more descriptive. What does the car do orher than the EML coming on? How does the car drives, weird noises?

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be more descriptive. What does the car do orher than the EML coming on? How does the car drives, weird noises?
No power, obviously. Engine constantly sounds like it is being lugged, regardless of the gear. When I come to a complete stop, it drops below 500 rpm and feels like it's about to stall. The only sound that is missing, is the sound of the air dump from the turbo.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check battery charge. ECUs are very sensitive and can kick out all sorts of errors with a dieing battery. Other issues I have had is various pipes along the vacuum line coming loose. They also put on engine light. Was simple plug in and clearing of error for that. And yes I had the turbo go as well and replaced fortunately all under warranty. If it's the turbo you will certainly hear it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's the turbo you will certainly hear it.
Other things I've checked.

* No water my engine oil.
* No black smoke.
* No white smoke.

The only two options I can think of at this point in time is:

1. Turbo popped.
2. 1 or more cylinders are misfiring. (Might explain why the engine RPM went so low, when it usually idles between 800 and 1100 RPM depending on engine temperature)
3. With regards to you mentioning the hoses, I did hear a sound similar to a pressured air hose being sliced and the air rushing out of it as the engine light came on, but this might be the result of the ECU cutting the majority of the power to the engine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If the turbo is dead the engine won't go into limp mode. I know this from experience.

Have you tried the basic troubleshooting fix?

Disconnect the battery, reconnect after 5 min. Then climb in, turn the car to Start. Turn wheel all left then all right. Then turn the car off again. And leave it for a few more minutes. Then give it a try.
(I might have missed a step or two here. Master Paul is the best person to speak to since he knows a lot of the tricks.)

·
Registered
343 Posts
My QV certainly went into limp mode when it's turbo went. All sorts of bits and pieces can get into engine when the turbo fails so not good to drive around with failed turbo. Best to get it looked at if you do not have diagnosis software and OBD plug in.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
where are you sittuated?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It needs a scan...
Check error... Then you will know the fault.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
so hat was it

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Very odd of the car not modded

1 - 18 of 18 Posts