Alfa Romeo Forum banner

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm planning on putting an order in for an FY 2020 QV shortly. Just working through finance options. Test drove a Tesla S Performance model at the weekend, just for reference (as my employer is rolling out a company car scheme for electric vehicles and the savings were quite compelling). Left me totally cold. Impressive acceleration (especially in 'ludicrous' mode) but it was like driving a four-wheeled iPad. Didn't put a smile on my face the way the two Giulia QVs I've test driven have. Even my wife and nippers, who I assumed would be smitten by the big screen etc and the tech, preferred the Alfa. And after the **** service I've had from my local Audi garage and underwhelming RS4 test drive, it's a no brainer. Shame about the carbon fibre roof but not a deal breaker by any means, and I'll take the infotainment upgrades and improved centre console etc.

Dealer-wise, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm in SE London. Motor Village Marylebone is right near my office, but the Croydon one (which is nearest my house) has closed down now. Heard good things about Lipscomb, which is about the same distance from me as the Tunbridge dealer. I'd ideally get them to fit some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on delivery - anyone know if they'd store the Pirellis for me as I don't really have the space for them at home, unless I can persuade the wife that they'd make a nice living room feature.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
@bagsofsmoke "Impressive acceleration (especially in 'ludicrous' mode) but it was like driving a four-wheeled iPad." Funny you say that. That is exactly how I felt when I sat in one. Most of my friend's though rave about how great the Tesla is! Mass appeal. "Let us be rebels". Lipscomb are very good for servicing and maintenance. Sales has left me a bit cold. I got my MY19 QF from Johnsons in Swindon, speak to Simon there as he was able to match Beechdale on finance deals and discounts. Thames Alfa in Tunbridge wells are fine for sales although not the best discounts. . If you want the best discounts you are better off going to Beechdale or on Carwow and then negotiate from there. If you can save, why not save? Dealers likely won't store the Corsas. There are tyre hotels at some local tyre fitters for a nominal charge. Google for places in your area. Dealers also may not fit the oversized rears on a new car on the basis that it is outside OEM specification.

Reactions: bagsofsmoke

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
I don’t think the chemicals emitted by a set of tyres inside your house would be all that nice!
Lipscomb, Thames and Ancaster seem to have happy customers so we’re quite lucky where we are.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you are fitting MPS4Ss instead of Corsas, I'd suggest you sell the Corsas to offset the cost of the MPS4Ss. There are a number on here who still fit the Corsas, often having a second set of wheels with winter tyres on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are fitting MPS4Ss instead of Corsas, I'd suggest you sell the Corsas to offset the cost of the MPS4Ss. There are a number on here who still fit the Corsas, often having a second set of wheels with winter tyres on.
Yep I was thinking of doing that, but I thought it might make sense to keep the Corsas for use on track days to save blitzing the Michelins. Storage is a hassle though.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
PS - you're not going to miss the cf roof. It is buried under paint on all the QFs to date and I'm sure an extra couple of kilos won't be noticeable in everyday driving. The exposed cf option is cool, but £2k is a little steep.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yep I was thinking of doing that, but I thought it might make sense to keep the Corsas for use on track days to save blitzing the Michelins. Storage is a hassle though.
The Corsas are great on track apparently, but you'll probably toast them very quickly. Unless you're seriously into tracking it, the MPS4Ss will last a track session better with only a slight reduction in performance relative to Corsas and you'll still be able to drive home on them.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
The Corsas overheat on sustained track sessions from what I have heard.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've only used MPS4Ss on track but they were great and didn't wear badly at all. There was a guy at one of the track days with a QV and he turned a nearly new set of Corsas into mush in the course of one day. The fronts looked like they had melted.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I've only used MPS4Ss on track but they were great and didn't wear badly at all. There was a guy at one of the track days with a QV and he turned a nearly new set of Corsas into mush in the course of one day. The fronts looked like they had melted.
My Corsas survived a track day at Silverstone in October OK, but the track varied between wet, damp and covered in hail stones, so I wasn't pushing and the cool and damp protected the tyres. The hail did result in a red flag when I was about 100metres past the pit lane entry so I had to pussy-foot round almost a full lap.
What suffered were my front pads and discs (steel not ceramic). Replacement was required even though the car had done only 31,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
you cannot compare a model s to a Quad.

you might as well compare an intelligent fridge strapped to rocket to one. super fast straight line speed and nice tech, but naff all else and show it some slinky roads and your fooked. applies to lesser extent to the rs4 which is a horrible drive other than in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
PS - you're not going to miss the cf roof. It is buried under paint on all the QFs to date and I'm sure an extra couple of kilos won't be noticeable in everyday driving. The exposed cf option is cool, but £2k is a little steep.
my thoughts, no one will notice. i wont spec unpainted as seems to riced for me.

OP why not wait for the new colours?

·
Registered
23 Posts
you cannot compare a model s to a Quad.

you might as well compare an intelligent fridge strapped to rocket to one. super fast straight line speed and nice tech, but naff all else and show it some slinky roads and your fooked. applies to lesser extent to the rs4 which is a horrible drive other than in a straight line.
Exactly my experience. Completely different cars, but as I said, I test drove the Tesla more to confirm my suspicions than because I was seriously considering it. The way I see it, there's a narrow window to own something like a QV - my children are old enough not to need prams and stuff, but young enough not to need loads of leg room, and I want something that I will really enjoy driving and can track occasionally, whilst also doing a run to Sainsbury's or transporting the family around the country when visiting family. Plus the EV infrastructure isn't quite there yet either. Give me the noise of a 2.9litre V6 over an EV anyday, and as for the steering feel and general driving feel, there's just no comparison. RS4 was a big disappointment on that front too. Straight line weapon, particularly in the wet, but nothing to write home about handling-wise and just didn't feel as special as the Alfa.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my thoughts, no one will notice. i wont spec unpainted as seems to riced for me.

OP why not wait for the new colours?
I really like the Competizione Red - the new colours are green and ochre right, or will that great GTAM red also be made available on the 'standard' QV?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
.... there's a narrow window to own something like a QV - my children are old enough not to need prams and stuff, but young enough not to need loads of leg room,
Plenty of headroom and leg room in the back of a Giulia. I've had my adult son sit in the back on the drivers side for quite a long journey. We are both about 5'10" and I had my seat in the usual position.
Why was he sat there? Because of the early Quadrifoglio's biggest limitation - no ski hatch. Our skis were occupying the passenger side of the car.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm planning on putting an order in for an FY 2020 QV shortly. Just working through finance options. Test drove a Tesla S Performance model at the weekend, just for reference (as my employer is rolling out a company car scheme for electric vehicles and the savings were quite compelling). Left me totally cold. Impressive acceleration (especially in 'ludicrous' mode) but it was like driving a four-wheeled iPad. Didn't put a smile on my face the way the two Giulia QVs I've test driven have. Even my wife and nippers, who I assumed would be smitten by the big screen etc and the tech, preferred the Alfa. And after the **** service I've had from my local Audi garage and underwhelming RS4 test drive, it's a no brainer. Shame about the carbon fibre roof but not a deal breaker by any means, and I'll take the infotainment upgrades and improved centre console etc.

Dealer-wise, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm in SE London. Motor Village Marylebone is right near my office, but the Croydon one (which is nearest my house) has closed down now. Heard good things about Lipscomb, which is about the same distance from me as the Tunbridge dealer. I'd ideally get them to fit some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on delivery - anyone know if they'd store the Pirellis for me as I don't really have the space for them at home, unless I can persuade the wife that they'd make a nice living room feature.
Ancaster in Dartford is my local (and supplying) dealer. They're right next to the M25 just south of the Dartford tunnel and near the A2.

241 - 257 of 257 Posts