Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New addition to the fleet arrived yesterday evening

Used 1999 Alfa Romeo Spider TS LUSSO 16V for sale in Cleveland | Pistonheads

I negotiated the price a little as there is no evidence of a recent cambelt and I was very circumspect about the drive from her old home in Teeside yesterday evening to Cheshire but she is booked in to HRG in Sandbach for a new belt next Thursday.

Other issues to be fixed are

Boot & Fuel Cap solenoids inoperative - short somewhere and/or rear compartment fuse ?
Airbag light - it wasn't on when I test drove but someone has moved the seat with the engine running I suspect. Alfie is well versed at this but it may spur me to buy the necessary cable and learn to do it myself - never had one on either of the GTVs though.
Doors catching roof and therefore not shutting properly - window adjustment required.
Both alarm fobs have seen better days - checking Ebay for replacement covers.

Other than that she's very tidy. Genuine 38k miles. Drives perfectly. 4 new Tyres and new Brakes all round. Hood working Ok and in very good condition. Bodywork very good - couple of scuffs - tiny bit of surface rust in a wheelarch. The aerial works!

I drove half way back with the hood down and got an early Alfa wave from a Brera carrying a T??GTV plate.

Needless to say its ****ing down today!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to Spider ownership, she looks a good un. With regard to the faults, nothing to major, although I thought the ad was a touch misleading.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to Spider ownership, she looks a good un. With regard to the faults, nothing to major, although I thought the ad was a touch misleading.
Nothing major at all apart from the belts don't think it even needs a new variator. Doesn't sound rough at startup at all.
What was misleading about the Ad Alex? It was a bit light in detail but what was stated was accurate.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I like the look of that, Jim. Low miles and a looker too. I need to convince MrsJim that this sort of buy makes sense when the Mito goes.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Nice looking example Jim :). Here's hoping we have a dry summer!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the look of that, Jim. Low miles and a looker too. I need to convince MrsJim that this sort of buy makes sense when the Mito goes.
It has the potential to not lose any value as well. I sold the idea to SWMBO by a) saying I would be putting her on the insurance and b) telling her I'd sell after the season. At least one of the two will be true :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nothing major at all apart from the belts don't think it even needs a new variator. Doesn't sound rough at startup at all.
What was misleading about the Ad Alex? It was a bit light in detail but what was stated was accurate.
That's probably what I meant. Lets hope we have a good summer to enjoy our cars.
Atb,Alex

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Wow that's a cracking buy as she looks mint condition.

When you change the belts I'd swap the variator too just in case. For the sake of £80 it's not worth the risk, as it will fail that's for sure.

Let's hope for a good summer this year then.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts