Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from giving the V6 a roasting. Pulled into the drive to smell hot oil, the funny burning on the exhaust smell. Looked underneath to see the oil dripping out :eek: :eek:

Oil temp/pressure, engine temp etc was all normal.
Checked the engine dipstick and it was way above the full mark, but the engine was hot. Still, it doesn't seem to have lost any.
The gearbox oil level was low however.

The oil seems to be coming from the front of the engine, either from the top of the box, or............the front head gasket :eek: :eek:
Can't really see or feel though, need to take it all apart I think.

No emulsion in the cooling sytem and it had pressure when hot. The water pipes at the front of the engine that go to the bottom of the radiator also had oil running down them.

Any ideas ???

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm.....
it seems to be coming from just under the thermostat housing bitty, but the gap is too small for me to get my hand in. It's now dark so can't really see anything now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
marlon said:
Hmmmmm.....
it seems to be coming from just under the thermostat housing bitty, but the gap is too small for me to get my hand in. It's now dark so can't really see anything now.
There seems to be alot going on here...... Iv'e had two leeks in the past and they have both been to do with sensors and pressure swiches. There are two in the area you are talking about (If you can see em!!!)

btw Hope its nothing!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the diagram, but can't really make sense of it though :eek: :( .
I think I'll just have to get in about it tommorrow. My wife had a couple of drinks after work so left her car about 10 miles away :rolleyes: .
Think I'll be doing a lot of walking tommorrow :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He does, but I look like a clown riding it :cheese: Knees up to my chin, but at least it has stabilisers !!!!!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Try smelling a sample of oil- that should give you a clue of where its from.- There's no mistaking gear oil! :)

Is there not a oil pressure sender unit in the vicinity on the V6? I've seen a few of these go.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not coming from the oil pressure sender, I can see that.
It does actually smell like hot gear oil now you mention it. So it could be the gasket between the bellhousiing and engine that's gone ???

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
More like the seal behind the release bearing :rolleyes: like mine....................i leave puddles of oil behind after a long run :rolleyes:

Unless its getting thrown up past the speedo drive seal..............where you`ve been tinkering :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not the speedo drive. It's definately coming from the top of the gearbox area. I can see the trace of it from under the stat body, but exactly what the prob is I'll have to tinker...er...I mean investigate.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a go this morning.

It seemed to be coming through the thread of the top bolt of the gearbox and not the gasket :confused:
I managed to tighten the bolt about 2 turns.
Strangely, the clutch feels a bit lighter and taking up the drive is smoother. I'm still scared to drive the car hard now though. It didn't lose any gearbox oil on the ride home from Halfords (filled it up in the car park), but then I did drive gently...........

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well good luck with it m8... hopefully that'll be it, I guess you just have to build your confidence in the thing again....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's still p155ing out oil :(
There is a kinda gap/hole thing at the top of the gearbox (it should be there). The oil seems to be coming out of it :(

Gonna have to book the car into a garage I think. This is gonna cost me quite a bit I think.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
speed freak said:
More like the seal behind the release bearing :rolleyes:
Speedy, does the box have to come right out to replace this, or can it be done relatively easily ???

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another question..sorry.........

do any of you V6 owners have a rectangle gap/hole at the top of your gearbox, beside the top bolt near the edge mating with the engine (possibly about 1 x 2 inches) ????

Looked at the parts CD and on the diagram of the box, it has this shape but looks like a removable part, but no part number.

If the housing is knackered the car is being destroyed. I'm not gonna spend any more dosh on it :eek:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Marlon if the gap is in the bellhousing next to the engine then it won`t be leaking from that as there is no oil in the bellhousing :rolleyes:

Can you take a piccy of it????

Btw for it to be coming out of the top of the box it must be a gasket or seal that`s failed :confused: and is only leaking when the oil is getting thrown about inside...............unless its the seal i was talking about

Might be worth giving some of that "stop leak" additive stuff a go it worked on my old Pug that used to leak like a sieve ;) :D :D

But a piccy would help identify what the problem is ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers Speedy. I can't really take a piccy as you won't see anything unless I strip the car apart. It does only leak when the car is moving and throws the oil. It empties the box in about a mile of driving at 30mph, so is pretty bad.
It's not coming from the gasket between the engine and box, it seems to be coming from further in than that. Was gonna book the car into Yob's tommorrow, but maybe I'll just take it apart myself. My wife is letting me use her Punto :eek: seeing as the Silverstone has no tax or MOT :(

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The gearbox is pretty easy to get out except for the top starter bolt which is a ***** to do....................Is there no G Tee left on the box from when it was re-conned :confused:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts