Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

Today i had over 5 hours of work done to my mito qv, including a full ragazzon and then a custom dyno remap done.

Absolutly amazing!

Firstly with the exaust, sounds awsome and by no means too boy racer. traveling back at around 70mph its no more intrusing then the standard. I got the 80 mm twin racing pipe, ill be uploading pics tomorrow hopefully.

For the remap it took about 2 hours and alot of tweaking and runs. I cant believe i didnt get a final picture of the remap screen however i only got one after 3 runs showing 182.1 bhp (at the flywheel) after 6 however it showed 194 at the flywheel. Im going to ask if he can email me a pic or send me a print out to prove this.

By 194 at the fly wheel and 259lb of torque im not sure what that will translate to at the engien? any idea?

The performance is now massivly improved. Sticks you back in your chair and pulls hard in every gear!

more vids, pics and extras will be uploaded but this is just a heads up!

Well worth it thou guys, really happy!

C

·
0 Posts
Was that really at the flywheel or the figures from the rolling road i.e at the wheels? I always thought that the figure at the flywheel was the actual power/torque produced by the engine but I could be wrong.
If you're getting 194 at the wheels then you'll be looking at well over 210 at the engine - pretty impressive stuff. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the exhaust system?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry mate yer was at the wheels, 194. So at a guess between 210 and 220, however I have no experience so can't say.

All in today it was 1399, that's for the full system, installed and a custom remap.

Best money ever spent

C

·
0 Posts
That's not a bad price, the full exhaust is €1399 for the system alone on Alfisti.net.
What you're doing to your car is what I would like to do to mine - my only problem is getting it past SWMBO :(
Have you lowered your MiTo too?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yer alfitsi is a massive rip off. Either way I'm happy with the price I paid.

Yer I lowered mine 30mm on eibach springs and 20mm spacers front and rear. Done 5000 miles since also with no problems

C

·
0 Posts
Have you had any issues with excessive front tyre wear on the inner edges since it's been lowered? What's the ride like, firmer I would imagine but not too hard?

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
194 will be at the flywheel, the original turbo isn't big enough to flow the air at high revs to make 210+, at least not reliably. A standard QV makes 170, 24bhp doesn't sound a lot but in real life it is, and what you'll notice more is massively more go everywhere in the rev range. The 155 model we fitted a hybrid turbo to makes more torque than a GTA, even though it 'only' made 200bhp. So it feels a lot quicker than most 200bhp cars. Bhp on road cars is just pub talk, torque wins races :)

C

·
0 Posts
Cheers Pud237, I guess there's some way of working out the bhp figures from the rolling road then?

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
Cheers Pud237, I guess there's some way of working out the bhp figures from the rolling road then?
Roughly it is done by measuring the power at the wheels when the engine is under power - probably about 160bhp, and then lifting off and letting the stored power in the transmission keep turning the rollers. Add the two together, apply some 'corection factor' based on atmospheric pressure and various other things and it gives you a flywheel figure that will be roughly accurate, much easier than taking the engine out and putting it on an engine dyno.

I think the only reason we work back from wheels figures to flywheel figures is because manufacturers quote flywheel figures for their cars, and of course the bigger the number the better.

Most standard GTAs make 200ish at the wheels, from a flywheel figure of 247.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although it interests me and I'm slowly learning, most of this stuff doesn't make much sence to me lol

However what I can say for fact without bringing facts or figures into it is that the car feels much more powerful, almost ridiculously more powerful, and much more torque! Also the sound is so much better! (even although the stock sound is pretty good)

Next step is defo going to be a new air induction system and turbo (currently only have new performance air panel)

All pics done tomorrow hopefully :)

Pudz, dis you find the standard airbox was too small? Is the way forward kandn induction kit, mabye apollo? Would be a good help as you clearly know what ur talking about!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Btw forgot to say, the remap and dyno was done by austec racing in Crawley. They work very closely with Monza developing all their maps.

From my time there I can say they know what they are talking about. They had lots of serious cars there including a 2000bhp supra!

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
Its perfectly fine for 200bhp, how much more than that I don't know. Most off the shelf induction kits remove the restriction but end up leaving you sucking up hot air from the engine bay, which is far from ideal. A performance panel filter is probably the way to go for now, until someone comes up with something much better.

We will be doing a rolling road day in 2012, be good if you could bring the Mito along :)

C

·
0 Posts
Roughly it is done by measuring the power at the wheels when the engine is under power - probably about 160bhp, and then lifting off and letting the stored power in the transmission keep turning the rollers. Add the two together, apply some 'corection factor' based on atmospheric pressure and various other things and it gives you a flywheel figure that will be roughly accurate, much easier than taking the engine out and putting it on an engine dyno.

I think the only reason we work back from wheels figures to flywheel figures is because manufacturers quote flywheel figures for their cars, and of course the bigger the number the better.

Most standard GTAs make 200ish at the wheels, from a flywheel figure of 247.
Interesting stuff, I always wondered how it was done.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are just a couple of pics. Annoyingly the dyno screen pic was only taken after 3 runs. Paul (one of the guys doing it) then spent another hour tweeking it , then to return doing 3 more runs, going up to 194. also the curve was much smoother with much less of a flat spot at the 5k range.

I havent really put it through its paces and explored the rev range in every gear but i will keep you all updated about that.

the second pic is just my car on the dyno itself

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Sounds great Towney!
Sorry to go off subject, what LED's have you got for the DRL's. :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
polarg m-13 p8712w

got them posted from japan or something for about £5. They are pretty good as you can see from the pics!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Wow ok, yeah my Polarg's never looked like that, the camera must have brought out the best in them. I though they were LED's. They are a good upgrade though. :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts