Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014-05-06 17.07.05.jpg

2014-05-06 17.07.17.jpg

2014-05-06 17.07.24.jpg

2014-05-06 17.07.49.jpg

2014-05-06 17.08.00.jpg

2014-05-06 17.08.10.jpg

(Hopefully) I have added some pictures of my front tyres. They used to be on the back of the car and as such I believe that they may be the original tyres on the car. They are probably 5 years old and have covered 25000 miles. As you can see, plenty of tread, but......:eek: Any comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I would change them if I were you. In fact, I was you last month in exactly the same situation with the same Michelins looking exactly like yours plus a 3cm crack on the side wall of one of them. It's a shame as they are quite expensive but 5 years it's a long time and you don't want a the blowing up in the motorway at 70mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I wonder if they were old stock when they were fitted? My Missus has had the same tyres on her Panda from new and its 8 years old now and the side walls are fine.
I agree with smartmac, I wouldn't like to trust them at motorway speeds or on the twisties.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
indeed..

Hmm - I was kind of half way to thinking that. I was toying with the idea of trying a tyre with a softer compound to try to prevent the age cracking. I usually do low mileage (less than 3500 miles per year) because I use a motorbike through most of the summer, so increased wear probably won't be a problem as the car will stand for a lot of the spring/summer. Indeed, I generally tend to have to get rid of tyres due to the sidewalls cracking rather than wearing the tread down. I wonder what the winter tyre selection will show me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
The DOT code on the tyre has 4 digits at the end to show the month of manufacture, e.g. 0709 would be July 2009. I've seen worse tyres pass an MOT, but personally I'd be looking to replace them soon.

Triff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Hmm - I was kind of half way to thinking that. I was toying with the idea of trying a tyre with a softer compound to try to prevent the age cracking. I usually do low mileage (less than 3500 miles per year) because I use a motorbike through most of the summer, so increased wear probably won't be a problem as the car will stand for a lot of the spring/summer. Indeed, I generally tend to have to get rid of tyres due to the sidewalls cracking rather than wearing the tread down. I wonder what the winter tyre selection will show me?
Again, I was in the situation you are where I don't use the car much in summer so I went for a set of all weather tyres with m+s marking. The best I could find is vdrestain Quatrac 3. I went for the 205 instead of 215 as they will be marginally better in the winter and in snow. They are not cheap at £500 for the set of 4 fitted but they are very well rated.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,179 Posts
I would swap them out mate, not worth the risk.

If it was me and I only used the car to pootle up and down to the station at 30mph I might consider keeping them, but not if the car done A road or Motorway work.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for some of these comments - to be honest the car only does a 7 mile commute over a straight A road (50mph max limit) and the odd bit of town pootling for 95% of its life. The other 5% is a 100 mile motorway trip every 6 weeks or so but as you say, it's not really worth risking that for a couple of tyres. If the tyre does disintegrate the collateral damage might be considerable - they don't generally tend to gracefully/slowly let go!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top