Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!
My 166 has been officialy tinted ;) with 65% tinting film. Looks much better than i thought - very dark from outside but you can still see everything from inside, even at night.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Nice :D

Hope the rozzers don't make you take it off the front windows, it looks mint :cool:

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Fantastic job..she looks great, brand new more like it
:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
i usually hate tinted windows but that looks great, works well on a silver car, if the police make you take it off the fronts you may as well take the whole lot off, i really dont understand why people get just the rears done(i know legally thats all you can do) it looks bloody awful, theres a guy on my road with a black grand punto who has just had the rears done, looks just like a van:lol: :lol: :cheese: my parents had no choice with there car, brand new honda, they had no option but to have the'van' option:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
65% you say.... hmmmmm looks too sweet not to really! :thumbs:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Looks good, got the van look on the wifes car !

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
It's not just the police you need to be worried about, MOT testers can now fail the car on the level of tint in the front windows. The legal amount is currently 70%.

Interestingly enough, having the windows up for the MOT test (or indeed driving around) isn't a requirement so you could always lower them before you drop it off and take the fuse out. ;)

I was thinking of having mine done, but I'd want it to be legal and look uniform, so all the wondows would have to be done to the same level.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
How do they know if it's 65% as in this case or >70%? Is there an official document you have to carry around with you?

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
How do they know if it's 65% as in this case or >70%? Is there an official document you have to carry around with you?
The % refers to the amount of light that is allowed to pass through. MOT stations are being (or have been) issued with light meters to measure the tint.
You also have to take into account the manufacturers tint level when applying tints - most are already set to 90% or so, depending on the car. I think there's a code somewhere on the glass indicationg the standard tint level.

The police can fine you or make you take the film off at the roadside.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ah! OK, so it's level of opacity rather than level of tint. Or is that the same thing? I'm confused now...

I'm guessing that you get given the option of a fine or to rip the film off. Seems like a difficult law to enforce properly though.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I don't think the police carry light meters around though so it can't be that easy to enforce fairly...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They now do a privacy pack on the new 159 SW's (Ti) that look as dark as that. I think the two front sides & the screen are the only ones that need to comply with any regulations.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i have got in contact with my MOT garage and they said they wont ever fail me for my windows - i can always say that i had done it after, and as far as i know Police does not carry light meters anymore. Lots of my friends got much darker windows and never had a problem with that :)

Cheers for all coments ! Im very proud of my 166 which btw i bought from one of the forum members about month ago ;)

PS the windows are tinted by 65% so the let only 35% of light so they are not legal, but looks good :>

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't think the police carry light meters around though so it can't be that easy to enforce fairly...
Not true I'm afraid.

I was watching one of the fly on the wall police jobbies and they pulled a woman in a range rover for the tints. Mr plod pulled out a gadget for measuring the amount of light coming through the window and it turned out her tints were illegal. She was pretty hacked off because her husband had only bought the car a few days earlier from a range rover dealer with the tints on it. I'm guessing its one of those its not illegal to sell but illegal to use situations.

Her husband turned up and he was given a choice of fine and reported or rip them off. The only problem was with the fronts so he pulled them off.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Gosh P3 that is one braw car.

And those wheels
I am now gonna have to check my neighbours garage as I last seen mine when I got them off of Dave.

Any issues?

An S plate too...she must be one of the first...get her on the 166 section threads.

Pomeo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts