Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've been given a GQV TCT to test for the week. These are my provisional thoughts, perhaps the owners around can give comment/feedback.

Things I don't like:
1. There's no manual option: I think a QV (and this extents to sports models offered by all manufacturers) should have a manual. The car is after all the 'drivers' car and accordingly I want to be involved in the process of changing gears even if it means my 0-100 time is slower.

2. There isn't enough immediately accessible storage in the cabin: for example there's no where to put my house keys or cell phone other than the door pockets. Then everything slides around and rattles. Other than the cup holders (which hold my cups, not keys) there's no spot between the seats for this stuff. On top of that if I want to plug an iPod in via AUX then I have no where to put the thing.

3. Interior quality: I've seen before that some owners get upset when journo's say Alfa's interior quality isn't good. But unfortunately it's a fact. The wiper and indicator stalks for example just feel flimsy - and that's not only compared with a GTI, the Focus ST etc all feel more sturdy. Also the panel that extends over the dash to the passenger side is made of nasty feeling plastic. It's the small things, but they count in the overall impression unfortunately.

4. Can't turn off TC: at least Alfa hasn't removed the handbrake. But unfortunately any fun that could be had using it is eradicated because of TC.

Things I do like:
1. Dynamics: brilliant. It's not as precise as the Megane RS but in fact I think this makes it more fun. It has that typically alive feel you get from an Alfa. What's more is that in Dynamic mode the annoying TC/ESC does actually allow a fair amount of play before getting involved, resulting in a big smile from the drivers seat. Even some oversteer :thumbup: The Golf isn't vaguely comparable. The Focus has a very artificial feel through the wheel, which I think is Ford's torque vectoring diff playing games - might be effective but doesn't feel nice from the drivers seat. Giulietta gets my vote in this department.

2. Looks: again brilliant. I'm used to get heads turning in the street in AMG's etc, but not hot hatches. The Giulietta on the other hand gets plenty. Best looking thing in the parking lot (but only because my GTA is at the mechanic :biglaugh:)

3. Interior: it looks great even if it doesn't feel great to the touch. The front seats are especially nice (I don't have the leather option). That said, I think the cannelloni roll leather looks even better.

One question for everyone. It seems as though the launch control process doesn't give any indication on any of the displays that you've engaged launch control? All I've seen when holding the downshift paddle (after left foot brake, right foot flat on accelerator) is the shift light. Is that correct?

Alfa's current range might not live up to the company's heritage per se, but I think they're doing the best they can at ingraining some Alfa-ness into what they've been given to work with. And honestly that's enough to put the GQV above its rivals in the fun department.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've put 8000 happy km's on mine. Its an awesome car. The pro's far outweighs the cons. Agree storage is crap but I'll survive. 4C didnt have much of that either.

LC does not show up anywhere no.. Its left foot braking, right foot flooring petrol, in Dynamic, in drive. Revs will hold around 3000rpm's, if you gear down revs will shoot up to close to 6000rpm's, let go of brake and hold on.

I used LC against my friends Porsche 911 Turbo S :cheese:

I lost handsomely.. Still felt like I was doing 1000miles an hour tho

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much will stand up against that Porsche (esp if its the 991) so that's understandable... :thumbup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've done just under 14 000km with my GQV TCT so far and I absolutely love the car, it is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing in the C-segment looks anywhere near as good, Alfa really got the styling spot-on. I love the new 1750 engine, it is really quick off the mark and I love the TCT. I could never go back to pumping a clutch, there is no way I can shift gears as quick up or down so I don't see the point. I leave it in automatic most of the time and the paddles provide more than enough involvement for me if I feel like changing gears myself.

I have no issue with the interior of the Giulietta. It is different to anything else in its class and it looks smart. I don't have a single rattle or squeak and in fact, my previous Giulietta 1.4 Multiair TCT which I owned for 4 years also didn't develop any rattles or squeaks. I've owned Golfs before and they all rattled like buckets of bolts after a few thousand kilometres. The perceived quality VW and the motoring media like to bang on about means nothing once you start driving the car. I'll take the Giulietta exactly as it is every day of the week and twice on Sundays, the fact that it doesn't rattle is much more important to me than anything else. Another nice surprise is the reliability of the Giulietta, I haven't had one single issue in more than 5 years of combined Giulietta ownership, The Giulietta is much more reliable than the Golf. Trust me, I've had failed DSG gearboxes, blown turbos, failed diesel pumps, dodgy electrics, everything you can think of.

LC is a nice party trick from time to time but I prefer just flooring the throttle, it's less dramatic and just as quick.

Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I still blame FGASA for importing base models...this is possibly the largest reason they are not moving more of these cars off the floors. People who buy sub R500k cars are people who want the sunroof, the bi-xenons, the heated seats, the storage, the NAV(Option) etc. Sadly, the GQV 2015 model is still 3 years behind with simple things like LED lights inside and outside the car for example.

I see the 2016 model has upped the game with white dials...that's a plus. The infotainment display also is the issue...they took the 2010 centre display and just put a uConnect in the dash...worst decision ever, but they've made a gazillion worse decisions before have they not? I hope with the Giulia models they'll learn and get with the program, and NOT be too Italian. Be Italian in design, engines and technology...and just follow the crowd regarding equipment...this is what KIA and Hyundai have been doing. I know so many people that buy expensive cars and they keep on pointing to simple things such as sunroof options, bi-xenons, heated seats, comfort packs etc. Alfa should introduce packs for Pete's sake.

Reactions: El 4 Romeo

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done just under 14 000km with my GQV TCT so far and I absolutely love the car, it is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing in the C-segment looks anywhere near as good, Alfa really got the styling spot-on. I love the new 1750 engine, it is really quick off the mark and I love the TCT. I could never go back to pumping a clutch, there is no way I can shift gears as quick up or down so I don't see the point. I leave it in automatic most of the time and the paddles provide more than enough involvement for me if I feel like changing gears myself.

I have no issue with the interior of the Giulietta. It is different to anything else in its class and it looks smart. I don't have a single rattle or squeak and in fact, my previous Giulietta 1.4 Multiair TCT which I owned for 4 years also didn't develop any rattles or squeaks. I've owned Golfs before and they all rattled like buckets of bolts after a few thousand kilometres. The perceived quality VW and the motoring media like to bang on about means nothing once you start driving the car. I'll take the Giulietta exactly as it is every day of the week and twice on Sundays, the fact that it doesn't rattle is much more important to me than anything else. Another nice surprise is the reliability of the Giulietta, I haven't had one single issue in more than 5 years of combined Giulietta ownership, The Giulietta is much more reliable than the Golf. Trust me, I've had failed DSG gearboxes, blown turbos, failed diesel pumps, dodgy electrics, everything you can think of.

LC is a nice party trick from time to time but I prefer just flooring the throttle, it's less dramatic and just as quick.

Glad you enjoyed it!
I must admit that quality is an angle which I have an issue reporting on, because I simply don't have the car long enough to determine how it holds up. I'm not saying the Giulietta will fall apart, the build quality seems fine (much better than my GTA). I'm only complaining about the quality and feel of certain materials they've used.

Reliability is another aspect I can't judge other than from first hand accounts from owners. No manufacturer gets away from reliability issues (I think Suzuki is about the only one I've never heard of breaking, but I don't know many Suzuki owners). As you say there are loads of accounts from VW owners who've had nightmare experiences.

I still blame FGASA for importing base models...this is possibly the largest reason they are not moving more of these cars off the floors. People who buy sub R500k cars are people who want the sunroof, the bi-xenons, the heated seats, the storage, the NAV(Option) etc. Sadly, the GQV 2015 model is still 3 years behind with simple things like LED lights inside and outside the car for example.

I see the 2016 model has upped the game with white dials...that's a plus. The infotainment display also is the issue...they took the 2010 centre display and just put a uConnect in the dash...worst decision ever, but they've made a gazillion worse decisions before have they not? I hope with the Giulia models they'll learn and get with the program, and NOT be too Italian. Be Italian in design, engines and technology...and just follow the crowd regarding equipment...this is what KIA and Hyundai have been doing. I know so many people that buy expensive cars and they keep on pointing to simple things such as sunroof options, bi-xenons, heated seats, comfort packs etc. Alfa should introduce packs for Pete's sake.
I do agree on this point. I think it might draw in a lot more customers that otherwise end up at all the usual suspects. I feel for the low volume importers who can't rely on credits coming from locally produced and exported vehicles offsetting some of the duties associated with importing. That said, you don't see the Korean's holding back on options.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is not meant to sound rude but I will never buy a car based on a review, road test or driving impressions done by any sort of motoring journalist. journalists review cars mostly when they are new and have it for only a few days. In the real world people buy cars and keep them for at least a few years and what we want to know is how a vehicle is likely to behave over that period. Fortunately we live in an age when we have access to a wealth of information on the Internet. The days of anxiously waiting for a new issue of a magazine to come out or a review by somebody are long gone. I want to hear from other owners of the car I'm interested in and learn from their experiences over an extended period. it's very easy to access that information and thanks to a little real live research I bought my Giulietta knowing the odds are stacked in my favor. Five years on and I now know those owners weren't wrong, the Inconvenient Truth is that these days Alfas are more reliable than most. I'm a non-conformist and a bit anti establishment and for me it is fantastic to think I can buy something beautiful and different from a brand with so much charisma behind it safe on the knowledge it is no longer a heart over head purchase.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
On the reliability front...I think my ex- GQV is proof enough of modern Alfa's reliability.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not meant to sound rude but I will never buy a car based on a review, road test or driving impressions done by any sort of motoring journalist. journalists review cars mostly when they are new and have it for only a few days. In the real world people buy cars and keep them for at least a few years and what we want to know is how a vehicle is likely to behave over that period. Fortunately we live in an age when we have access to a wealth of information on the Internet. The days of anxiously waiting for a new issue of a magazine to come out or a review by somebody are long gone. I want to hear from other owners of the car I'm interested in and learn from their experiences over an extended period. it's very easy to access that information and thanks to a little real live research I bought my Giulietta knowing the odds are stacked in my favor. Five years on and I now know those owners weren't wrong, the Inconvenient Truth is that these days Alfas are more reliable than most. I'm a non-conformist and a bit anti establishment and for me it is fantastic to think I can buy something beautiful and different from a brand with so much charisma behind it safe on the knowledge it is no longer a heart over head purchase.
No offence taken what so ever. The only time I check out reviews (and its mostly on youtube, not written) is when I want to know what someone like Tiff/Chris Harris/Jason Plato says the car is like to drive.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts

...all the Giuliettas that I have seen have LED's outside... Front and rear...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts