Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of A156 owners, I also had an idling problem. After a lot of search and testing I end up that the problem was caused by the stepper motor on the butterfly (PartCode:71713829, BoschCode:0132008650). The cost of a replace was too much, so I decided to try and repair it. First of all I checked if the sensor can read the absolute and the relative angle of the butterfly. It was ok. After that I pulled out the tube that comes from the air filter to the butterfly so I can see the correction movements. I realized that the motor didn’t has the torque to rotate the butterfly. That led me to disassembly the step motor. For my surprise there was no step motor inside. Instead there was a simple DC motor. The reason that couldn’t rotate the butterfly was the worn collector and carbon brushes. I decided to find a replace for the DC motor. It has a Bosch logo printed on it but it is a "Johnson 1397220322". The time I am writing this post you can find it only in an Austrian e-shop, with a cost of 2,95€ and minimum order 20€. I replaced the DC motor, reassembled the step motor, made a reset of self-adaptation parameters and idle actuator, I drove 10km and now, after 15000km I still have a rock solid idle.
Now if you don’t have an OBD scanner to check the butterfly angle and reset, you can do the following. After you pullout the tube from the filter so as you can see the butterfly, you reset the adaptation from the key with the following procedure. From zero position of the key you turn it on the first (MAR) position for 90 sec, then turn off for 90 sec and then again on the first position for 60 sec. after that you check your butterfly. If it doesn’t move like the following video then you need a DC motor display.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ns46H8bR1yFy57g1e_4K6I-TaN7Itdjq/view?usp=sharing

After the replace of the DC motor you have to do the same procedure with the key. in addition, after the 60 sec without turning off the switch you start your engine and drive for 10 Km so that the ECU takes the new parameters

P.S. I have the AR67601 with non-electric butterfly

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
To the OP

Do you, by any chance remember, does the relative position of the toothed crescent to the motor matter on reassembly? I am asking because the toothed crescent has 2 positions, as seen in your photo, I reassembled it on uppermost and returned the motor ...I think it does not matter, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Old post but I have a guestion. I'm having problems with my 156 2.0 1997. and now I'm at point that multiecuscan says that the minium throttlem opening is 27.5 degrees... I'm pretty sure that it should not bee that high. I'm wondering that it's reading the position incorrectly. is the positioning sensor the carbon traces in the pcb on the 3rd pic on the OP:s post?

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old post but I have a guestion. I'm having problems with my 156 2.0 1997. and now I'm at point that multiecuscan says that the minium throttlem opening is 27.5 degrees... I'm pretty sure that it should not bee that high. I'm wondering that it's reading the position incorrectly. is the positioning sensor the carbon traces in the pcb on the 3rd pic on the OP:s post?
Unfortunately i have sold my car, so i cant read the degrees. Yes the two traces are one for the absolute position and one for the relative, if i remember well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts