Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The garage rang me about 4:00 UK to tell me it's all done at a cost of (would have been if not under warranty phew!)£577.78+ vat for the new actuators and £197.53+vat for the new selespeed pump again PHEW!! plus labour just short of a grand, gulp. They told me intialy it was just a relay and a new pump but when investigated further found more problems, I am sooo pleased to have my lovely black 156 back I really hope this is an end to all my past problems with the car, there is also a moral to this story renew your warrany all selespeed drivers before it runs out! I know I will be.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,865 Posts
You must be glad that they did the extra investigation. I guess your selespeed problems will belong to the past now.

Selespeed
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed something different about my car since it came back, the selespeed pump takes a few seconds to get the pressure correct when I open the front doors now, it used to take about three times the time it does now!?
Maybe it has always been a problem? if so why didn't they pick it up before it's been in enough times, to be quite honest I am just very very happy to have it back and working :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I'm so glad I rejected my Selespeed and was given a manual instead. God knows what I would have done after the warranty had expired judging those repair costs.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Motty,
Please tell me how you went about rejecting your car? how long did you own it? how many times did it go wrong before you'd had enough? Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Hi Nicola,

It's a long long story so here is the short version. Two weeks after getting the car, Selespeed errors started to occur. The car was taken back to the dealers at which point i tried to reject it. After two weeks of having the car, with not replacing anything or seeing any error, they assured me that there was nothing wrong. I accepted the car back and the next day the error re-occured. I took the car back to the dealer and left it there rejecting it once more. After some heated telephone calls and faxes going back and forth, they finally agreed to supply an manual 147 to the same value which I now drive. Because of the difference in value I was able to pick a car in stock with added luxuries such as 5-doors, Leather, 17" alloys and Bose which was not standard on the Manual version. All in all it took them just over a month to agree to a swap. I think they tried to play the waiting game with me but in the end I threatended to take legal action. I really do believe that the car was a danger to myself, passengers and other road users when the Selespeed failed having no control over steering or the gearbox. Luckily it did not occur at high speed.I have had one or two small problems with the new car, but that ok as I love the car to look at and drive. No other car in it's class really touches it for style in my opinion. However, my old 145 Cloverleaf would have left it for dust!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top