Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered before, a search revealed lots of mentions scattered throughout the forum, but no general discussion. My last car had built in satnav, the manufacturer's own, but it was very expensive and technically way behind popular modern add-on stuff like Garmin and TomTom. Having been talked out of the Alfa satnav by the Dealer, he told me it was overpriced rubbish, I've just bought myself a new Garmin, which seems pretty impressive at first glance. The problem though is how to protect it, as anyone will tell you, satnavs are a magnet for car thieves, and apparently leaving a satnav mount in the car is as bad a leaving the whole thing on display, thieves will just ransack the car searching for it. I've got a mount that clips into one of the fascia vents on my 159, and positioning is fine, but it isn't easily removable, sooner or later it's going to break the vent. I can't find a place on the dash to mount the semi-permanent adhesive disk, and would prefer to avoid the sucker on the screen option, how many people can honestly claim that they remove all tell-tale traces of the thing from the inside of their screen every single time they leave the car, as we're all advised to do? Any advice or helpful suggestions?

D

·
0 Posts
I've got GPS on my phone, it was only another couple of quid over buying a Satnav unit and I don't have to carry 2 gizmos around with me. One of these touchscreen phone things and it sits nicely in the cup holder.

No sticky windscreen thing, no trace of a Satnav in the car :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Sucker it on the windscreen, but keep a packet of babywipes in the car to quickly clean the ring mark before leaving the car.

Unfortunately, it's the best place for it, but the most tell-tale.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't stick anything to my windscreen.
For my TomTom XL I made a little plate from perspex, where you sucker the SatNav on and then clip the plate into the place where the ashtray was (fits only for 159).

Negative points:
- If you wanna look very often to the SatNav while driving, it's a bit dangerous, because it's a long way down from the windscreen.
- Recepition may be affected, because it's under the roof and not under the screen, but I had no trouble in this respect so far.

Positive points:
- It looks great: no cables visible and somehow I think it looks as if it belongs there
- Very comfortable to operate (without leaning forward and with your arm laying relaxed on the armrest)
- Maybe not so easy to spot for thieves, because they don't expect it there?
- If you find it easier to remove the sucker from the screen or to unclip the plate depends on your preferences. (To apply the sucker properly it should be wet, so the clipping might be more practical.)

(If anyone is really interested, I could make a little description with pictures.)

D

·
0 Posts
A picture or 2 would be very hand Andreas. :thumbs:

I'm thinking of doing something similar in my 147 for the ipod, thinking of getting a generic phone/ pda/ ipod holder and butchering it to mount it down by the ashtray.

It's a pain scrabbling around in the glove box and the ipod cubby-holes aren't all they're cracked up to be. That way I could cycle through the albums with the arm on the arm rest.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Dibby, I mounted a phone cradle to the coin holder in my 147, very simple, not too unsightly and completely reversible with no damage. Still holding with no problems over a year later.

details here

I've often though a metal type tax disc holder, with some sort of quick release fixing on the back to hold a sat-nav cradle would be a good idea.

D

·
0 Posts
Nice one Marksie, looks good. More food for thought.

I was thinking at the back of the cubby hole in front of the gear stick the plastic at the back is quite smooth, whether I could get a suction mount to stick, drill and screw something to the top of that cubby hole. So many options, lots of things to think about.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
get one of the taxi type notepads that have a sucker mount.
Remove SatNav when you park (hide it in boot/glovebox/underseat or take it with you), put notepad in it's place.

Works even better if you draw a map/directions on the pad!!

You could even mount the sat nav on the driver's window, who looks there for rings? Remember to unplug it before opening the door.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have trimmed a vent mount and removed the vent clips, then with a bit of double sided tape have attached it to the top of the dash above the centre vents :thumbs:

pic to follow

·
Registered
498 Posts
A picture or 2 would be very hand Andreas. :thumbs:
Better late than never:

The thingy made from two pieces of plexiglass glued together:

Sucker attached:

Thingy clipped into the former ashtray brackets (again without sucker for a better view):

extension for power cable . . .

which is necessary because you have cut the plug down as short as possible to fit it under the sliding cover:

extension in place:

Voila! Everthing attached and no cable in sight:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts