Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I've just been told by AR of Romford that my 3 month old MiTo's Power Steering Shaft has broken (they've had it since Monday 4th January). :(

They don't know when it will be fixed, but not during this month as apparently the part has to be made up in Italy... :mad:

Has anyone out there experienced this problem yet? AR say it's very unusual but are they telling me the truth?

I feel like I need to demand a brand new car, wonder where I stand......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be driving along the road and then suddenly I wouldn't be able to turn the wheel!!

It was really scary....

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have they made any comment as to why it might have broken in the first place? Having the steering lock without warning is ridiculously dangerous at the best of times, let alone in this weather.

·
0 Posts
I'd like to know too, have been driving in the past & experienced power steering loss - not fun :eek:, but it is electronic on the MiTo aint it :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Have they made any comment as to why it might have broken in the first place? Having the steering lock without warning is ridiculously dangerous at the best of times, let alone in this weather.

As i understand it - its not the steering lock coming on, just a loss of power steering?

Common fault on the GP - failed as part of a system management problem or something. hopefully it'l be a one off for the Mito in this instance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AR haven't said why it broke, will ask them that one. The steering wheel froze and couldn't be turned but the engine was still going. When I turned the engine off and then on again, it corrected the problem.....

It's true it is electronic but when I bought an Alfa Romeo I expected better than this. After all, I could have bought a Nissan Micra for five grand. Instead I fell in love with the MiTo for more than double that. Bet the Micra wouldn't have failed me.....

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
wonder if its anything related to the bits of the engine compartment freezing and putting stress on other bits

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe, but I keep my baby in the garage at every opportunity....

I spoke to the mechanic at Alfa and he said it's a common fault with Fiat and that they have improved this part but maybe we were the unlucky ones who got a faulty one!

They phoned today and said the parts just come in so could be picking her up tomorrow hopefully....

Thank you for all your comments.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's not a total steering failure, just loss of power steering. My Punto has had the steering problem a few times. Even drove it for a year without power steering as a new unit was around £700, really heavy but better than going to the gym! :lol: PS is a Delphi unit, also fitted to the Corsa but never a problem in it. Cant believe its still happening, was supposed to have been sorted on all post 2003 Puntos. :(

M

·
0 Posts
It's not a total steering failure, just loss of power steering. My Punto has had the steering problem a few times. Even drove it for a year without power steering as a new unit was around £700, really heavy but better than going to the gym! :lol: PS is a Delphi unit, also fitted to the Corsa but never a problem in it. Cant believe its still happening, was supposed to have been sorted on all post 2003 Puntos. :(
+1

Happened on a 06 and 56 plate GP I used to own so the problem wasnt fixed on 03 models. The problem could be fixed by turning the car off/on on the 56 plate GP, but the 06 one needed to be fixed under warrenty. It is just loss of power steering but hopefully it will be a problem which isnt common on the mito.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
was it a sudden loss of steering with no prior warning? sounds pretty scary. If it happened during a bend, that would be really dangerous, even in a straight line you could veer off into a tree. If it didn't have ABS, you could just slam on the brakes to lock the wheels and you would continue on in the direction of travel until you gradually come to a halt, but with ABS, the wheels are still turning meaning they may well veer off in one direction if you brake (under heavy braking, you need to make slight corrections to the steering wheel to keep the car straight). So best advice is to coast to a stop or brake gently if you need to slow down, and have it neutral to avoid torque steering

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All

It was very scary, especially when it happened on a dual carriage way. But luckily all is fixed now. New steering column was put in.

Only problem is, just noticed a tear in the vinyl, on the body frame to the steering wheel..... they must have done this while putting in a new steering column at AR......

Gonna phone them up, only will they believe me?!

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
sounds a bit rough glad it sorted and nothing bad occurred !

I have a wee hole in my column thingy and my dealer said it should be covered on warranty

·
Registered
713 Posts
was it a sudden loss of steering with no prior warning? sounds pretty scary. If it happened during a bend, that would be really dangerous, even in a straight line you could veer off into a tree. If it didn't have ABS, you could just slam on the brakes to lock the wheels and you would continue on in the direction of travel until you gradually come to a halt, but with ABS, the wheels are still turning meaning they may well veer off in one direction if you brake (under heavy braking, you need to make slight corrections to the steering wheel to keep the car straight). So best advice is to coast to a stop or brake gently if you need to slow down, and have it neutral to avoid torque steering
You only get torque steering when accelerating hard up the gears, and only in fast FWD cars, not when braking! Putting it in neutral when wanting to decelerated is not really advisable as you lose your engine braking onto of your disc braking! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts