Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok new battery fitted few months ago but the car has been sitting here for a while, i knew it has been dead for a while so i got some jumper cables on it today.

lights come on and when i go to start it it will not tick over continuelsy. it may do it once and then no more

do i need to charge the battery more? leave it for a while? also i think my immobilzer is broke it will not lock from the keys (central locking)

does it not ticking over have anything to do with the immobilzer if so what will i have to do to fix this and yes i know get a new one. but what can be done right now?
and a garage is not a option at this time

i just want to know what's up with this great piece of italian machinery
thank you im also sorry if its been posted before.. thanks again
a.s.a.p reply 's apprichiated

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Give the battery a full charge, they are fussy about that...

Just like I am about spelling Alfa correctly ;)

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
The immobiliser does just that - it stops the car from starting at all - so that's not your problem. It could be as Jon suggests - if the battery is pretty dead if the car's tickover drops below the level at which the alternator starts charging then there may not be enough charge in the battery to trigger the engine electronics - so it'll stop.

The car not central locking from the key could also be down to a flat battery in the key - unless you mean that the central locking doesn't work when you operate the key in the lock - in which case its a different issue.;)

C

·
0 Posts
Does it start and run with the throttle open or does it kind of start then stall?

Does the code light (immobiliser) go out?

Have you checked the fuel cut off switch has not been triggered?

It's ALFA not *****...

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Hello? - why ask for ASAP replies & not bother responding? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry guys im here been working thank you all for the reply (eg 10f1 ect) i will charge the battery later and tell you whats happening after i do it..

@chris155 - it does not start at all just ticks over, where is the code light immobiliser? some lights do come on on the dash board and no i have not

@rgwm - thanks for the info friend and i hope my central locking batt key has gone and not the whole CL :cry:

@10f1 - thank you mate and wow small world ay:D yes like i said i will go out later tonight after dinner and give it a charge and tell you whats happening and sorry for the mis-spelling :rolleyes: im a noob to alfa's
im just in urmston too not far and thank you i really appreciate that

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Welcome back :lol:

Let us know howya get on :thumbs:

BTW, give the battery a 'good' charge...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks pal so i charged it for a bit, it turned once then went dead

when i started it again it ticked but not as loud or as strong as the first time

but the orange petrol indicator is on so is that telling me i need petrol?, i smelt the tank and the petrol smell was potent i tried shanking to see if i could here any swooshing but then realized it was the car :lol:

must i leave the batt charging over night or for hours can you recommend a length of time many thanks again

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I'd charge it over night as a minimum and stick some petrol in too, they don't like being low...

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I've changed the thread title for you :thumbs:

I don't know what we can do about that username though :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
It's a bit grim this evening, but looks better tomorrow, I'll come over with multimeter / jump leads / diagnostic software etc if ya like :D

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
thanks pal so i charged it for a bit, it turned once then went dead

when i started it again it ticked but not as loud or as strong as the first time

but the orange petrol indicator is on so is that telling me i need petrol?, i smelt the tank and the petrol smell was potent i tried shanking to see if i could here any swooshing but then realized it was the car :lol:

must i leave the batt charging over night or for hours can you recommend a length of time many thanks again
how long you been charging your battery for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks 10f1 your so kind too kind you scare me :lol: i am going to buy some fuel tonight and fill her up and see how it goes i will get back to you all later on

@davealfa i charged while i was out there lets say about 10-15 mins but i will do as 1of1 says and will give it a good charge

@paintergirl haha thanks ever so much..and maybe you could all just ignore it? :) and im sure i cant be the first to make that mistake.. am i ?

oh 10f1 yes, i figured :cheese:

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Charge the battery overnight. You said it had a new battery, but that was sometime ago ... how long has it been sitting?? It may need another new one if it isn't holding the charge.

You'll need a couple of gallons of fuel (10 litres) and make sure the car's not on a hill (unless it is pointing down!)

Also the immobiliser won't stop the central locking working, but duff battery will ... and the battery in the key ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts