·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. I'm 23...not really that young to be honest! When I rang Admiral they said insurance is going up for most people due to people putting fraudulent whiplash claims in. Poor excuse if you ask me. I'll try Chris Knott, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
No worries mate, mention you're a member on here and you'll get a further discount, also, consider your annual mileage, I keep mine at 8k per year and use the wife's car for any long commutes etc, the GTV is for pleasure :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, just rang Chris Knott insurance. Apparently I am too young for them to insure me for this vehicle... Looks like I am definately going to have to sell!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bugger!!
Sell the car, buy a cheap run around for about £1500 and use the money to buy some toys (new tv etc)
Infact, a car that's cheap and reliable for you would be a 1.6ts 147, They're selling for pennies at the moment, I saw a 147 2.0ts 2002 sell for £900 with full bose, leather interior, fsh and only 52k on the clock!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a nightmare! hmmm I used to own a 1.6TS 147, it was my first car, lovely interior etc. but painfully slow! Pondering a VW Lupo GTI... cheap to insure and tax, 40mpg, light and nippy, but German!...and pricey for that matter.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
True, Although I couldn't get on with how small the Lupo is!!! I would say a fiesta etc but they're all too common these days, a nice little car I had once was a Stilo Abarth, plenty of power, lovely subtle body kit, good firm interior etc, I picked that up with low mileage for around £2k and it was pennies to insure as they weren't too common, You'll find insurance gets expensive when there's quite a few cars the same as yours, Your main problem with the GTV is it's a Marque classic with not too many on the road, therefore it will cost the insurers more to pay out. Your car is lovely, one of my most favourite Alfa colours, Try autotrader and Piston heads, Gumtree will pull you too many idiots I guarantee it ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, Although I couldn't get on with how small the Lupo is!!! I would say a fiesta etc but they're all too common these days, a nice little car I had once was a Stilo Abarth, plenty of power, lovely subtle body kit, good firm interior etc, I picked that up with low mileage for around £2k and it was pennies to insure as they weren't too common, You'll find insurance gets expensive when there's quite a few cars the same as yours, Your main problem with the GTV is it's a Marque classic with not too many on the road, therefore it will cost the insurers more to pay out. Your car is lovely, one of my most favourite Alfa colours, Try autotrader and Piston heads, Gumtree will pull you too many idiots I guarantee it ;)
Yeah they are tiny and I'll probably get slated by my mates but I've always had a soft spot for the GTI's! I quite like the Stilo Abarth's but its quite hard to find an 8 yr old Fiat that doesn't need most parts replacing.

The colour is awesome, if I was going to keep it I'd paint the alloys anthracite to contrast the paint and maybe space the wheels a little. I may try pistonheads at some point, I'm not going anywhere near ebay as they're too many tyre kickers and the fees are stupid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice example,everytime i look at these cars the more i miss mine.
I know what you mean. I drove my mates GT TDI Golf not so long ago, £10,000 worth, and although it had bags of torque and plenty of power it didn't have the same amount of character as the GTV. I'll miss it if it goes.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Crikey fella you were well shafted on the cambelt change. Nice car though, but IMO you are asking a V6 price for a 2.0Ltr.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the previous owner who got the cam-belt change, I've only had the car 3 months. And I see where your coming from re: engine size, but the V6's are abit on the thirsty side especially with the current fuel prices.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I agree about thirst but the 2.0JTS is widely acknowledged as the worst engine Alfa ever made and has as a result had a significant impact on the 2nd hand value of the P3's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I disagree about the JTS. I've owned a Ph.2 2ltr T.Spark before this car and the JTS feels considerably better, much more low down torque! I'd say in the current climate the JTS is a good option.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thing is, Anything that's maintained will last, we could be a lot more harsh about other cars which last just a few years, The reason that many modern cars don't rust these days is because they're constructed from ABS plastic, Toyota Celica, Hyundai i10 etc,
The JTS is a TS with a few extra electrical additions, the actual TS is a sturdy engine and we all know how long it's been used for! My friend's got a 145 2.0TS currently on 257,000 miles, the belts were changed at 80k, he placed a bet to see how long it will last, soo far I owe him £100!!!! And he's not a slow bugger with it either, that retro car has some good fun on country lanes :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree about thirst but the 2.0JTS is widely acknowledged as the worst engine Alfa ever made and has as a result had a significant impact on the 2nd hand value of the P3's.
I had a 2.0 TS 156 before my 2.0 JTS GTV, the JTS has an awful lot more torque but seems a little less willing at high revs, my JTS is much quicker up to 100mph even though the GTV is 120Kg heavier than the 156. The JTS is also quite a lot more economical than the TS, about an extra 5mpg.

I disagree about the JTS. I've owned a Ph.2 2ltr T.Spark before this car and the JTS feels considerably better, much more low down torque! I'd say in the current climate the JTS is a good option.
I agree.

The JTS is a TS with a few extra electrical additions
The JTS is injection directly into the cylinder and has a higher compression ratio. As the JTS only has four spark plugs I would say it has fewer electrical connections.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
wont get many buyers of the phase three here mate everyone thinks phase threes are ugly:rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you don't do over 7000 miles a year you could try classicline insurance, i got cover for £311, thats £300 cheaper than anyone else, they don't charge any extra for modifications as long as you tell them what they are, he also said the premium will get cheaper every year as it becomes more of a classic. Its worth a try, better than selling your gtv.

·
Registered
739 Posts
A phase 3 is probably too new to get classic cover - I tried with my ph2, which is on a 53 plate. Ten years or older seems to be the rule.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts