Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil cap has white and brown mayo when the car is cold, but there are ik anything on the dipstick ..But when I run a long trip and make clean oil cap when engine is hot, so is there ik no mayo ...

The car is weak on the uptake, have tried another alfa 2.0 ts and it was much faster ..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The mayo you speak of, sounds like emulsified oil. That is water, mixing with the engine oil. Often a symptom of the engine running too cold, not hot enough to evaporate the water, which occurrs as a result of the combustion process.

What does your temp guage indicate, while you are driving the car? Maybe a new thermostat would sort out the issue.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
Constantly doing very short trips will do that, especially in very cold weather.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have noticed the same in my 147 get the brown mayo in the cap, but that is because it has been cold and only does short journeys, i dont have the problem when i do long journeys

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine does this too.Scared the bejesus out of me last winter,had visions of imminent head gasket failure going through my mind.As others have mentioned already it was down to a mixture of short journeys and cold weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts