Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure many of you keep track of what’s for sale & regularly look at the usual online places to buy a car so I’m sure quite a few of you will have already seen my Nuvola Blue GTV for sale on Pistonheads. Used 1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 24V for sale in Cornwall | Pistonheads Just renewed my ad for another month and would appreciate input / feedback from forum members with regards to the asking price. No one wants to hear that their car isn’t worth the price they’re asking for it but judging from the lack of response to my advert, I’m guessing my price is too high.

Let me start by saying it is a genuine sale. There seems to be an assumption these days that anyone selling a car is doing so for dodgy or underhand reasons; trying to avoid some sort of impending disaster or massive money pit expenditure. Not me, not this car. Anything that has needed replacing has been replaced. Yes, there is a hole in its history, eight years ago, with regard to accident damage & yes, I should have asked more questions of the seller before I bought it. My fault, I have to live with the financial consequences of that mistake. I’m selling because I needed a car that can seat four adults with a boot big enough for their luggage. I’ve already bought that car – a 3.2 GT & I simply can’t afford to run two V6 Alfas.

So do I sell one or keep them both & take one (read GTV) off the road? I could SORN the GTV, stick it in the garage, put a cover over it & leave it there. Thing is, because I’ve kept it in as good a condition as I possibly could, it’s got a cam belt & set of tyres that are less than a year / 2000 miles old. Fully serviced, air con regassed & everything working perfectly with a Q2 & a stonkingly good Alfaholics exhaust, it’d be a shame not to let someone else have the chance to run a perfectly good V6 GTV.

That hole in the history? Wish I knew! I bought the car in November 2009 & when I received the new V5 back from DVLA, there was a special note on the front which says “Substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on 28 10 2008”. That was the first I knew of anything that had happened, the previous owner (private seller, so no legal obligation to inform me of any damage) said absolutely nothing & although the car came with a very comprehensive file full of maintenance receipts, an invoice for damage repair wasn’t among them.

Detective work after I bought the car revealed that there had been a repair to the front bumper on the off side / driver’s side, the wheel arch liner on that side was broken & the worst thing wrong was the o/s front wishbone was slightly bent. Best guess, was a fairly minor front end collision. So why the special note, we’re not sure.

However, 8 MOT tests have since passed, all of them bar one with no advisories & the one that did have an advisory was for tyres nearing the tread limit. Any lingering issues would have been picked up at one of those tests & rectified.

Over to you guys – given the nature of the hole in its history & the special note on the V5, what would you think the car is worth?

Even better still, if any of you are seriously looking for a V6 GTV & have seen my car only to think to yourself “if that were £xxxx, I’d have a look”, PM me with your £xxxx & we’ll see what happens…

I’m also acutely aware that my location, being as it is, the far west of Cornwall, will put many people off. Again, if you are seriously looking for a GTV & would consider mine but not the distance involved in travelling to look at it, let me know. For a genuine enquiry, I am prepared to travel to meet you, at a garage of your choosing for an inspection, should you wish.

Apologies for the length & rambling nature of this post. If you’ve read this far, thank you. I’m keen to sell but the lack of response or enquiry is baffling to me & any feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Cheers to you all.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Looks good value to me Stuart, I know how it has been cared for and after reading your opening paragraph I expected it to be 'pitched' much higher when I went to the Pistonheads site.
Given the spec and condition, not to mention the superb cleanliness of the engine bay, I'd say that the price is right. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Doesn't seem expensive to me but there is a very small market for the 916 at the moment. If not in a rush I would hold out for that price.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good value to me Stuart, I know how it has been cared for and after reading your opening paragraph I expected it to be 'pitched' much higher when I went to the Pistonheads site.
Given the spec and condition, not to mention the superb cleanliness of the engine bay, I'd say that the price is right. Good luck with the sale.
Cheers Tony, much appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't seem expensive to me but there is a very small market for the 916 at the moment. If not in a rush I would hold out for that price.
It's good to know that I've hopefully pitched the price somewhere near right. No immediate hurry to sell - the tax runs out at the end of October & I've no intention of renewing it. If it hasn't sold by then, it will be put on SORN & I'll keep it. Cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
That has to be the right price even with the accident history. Just be patient, there's a buyer out there somewhere. Lovey car.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there's a 2002 gtv with 68k for the same price - just saying ...

That's a good point & one that's not been lost on me. It's a good looking car, 3 years newer & best part of 40k fewer miles. Both of us have recent cam belts & both have stainless exhausts so does a Q2 & pearlescent paint make up for the age/mileage difference? Who knows...? Maybe, when all is said & done, it all comes down to whether you prefer teledial or ten-spoke wheels (and I might just be open to an offer...).

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Not everyone goes on piston heads, so maybe another ad on a more general site, might find you a buyer. Some people looking for a good V6 will travel. Good luck with your sale.:yes:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Worth every penny if not more. Nuvola Blue with Bluestyle interior is a rare colour scheme especially in that condition. I wouldn't worry about the Cat C, coincidentally I've just bought a really lovely Nuvola 156 TS done only 45k with a shallow dent in the rear passenger door & they've Cat C'd that.............ridiculous!

Clive

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not everyone goes on piston heads, so maybe another ad on a more general site, might find you a buyer. Some people looking for a good V6 will travel. Good luck with your sale.:yes:
Yes, you're probably quite right. I did look into an ad with Autotrader but if I'd done that, I'd be sharing internet space with jokers like this: Alfa Romeo GTV CUP 1.8 2dr

Autotrader used to be my one & only port of call for buying or selling a car but not any more. Too many cowboys on there these days for me to even be bothered to look now...

And don't get me started on FeePay....

I'll give another month or so on Pistonheads & see what happens. Cheers for the reply!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worth every penny if not more. Nuvola Blue with Bluestyle interior is a rare colour scheme especially in that condition. I wouldn't worry about the Cat C, coincidentally I've just bought a really lovely Nuvola 156 TS done only 45k with a shallow dent in the rear passenger door & they've Cat C'd that.............ridiculous!

Clive
Thanks for your comments Clive. Always good to get some perspective from someone in the trade.

I'm really surprised too that a dent in door can invoke at Cat C status.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Looks a decent one this

It may be that the previous accident damage puts off some potential buyer, plus the non original wheels although i have these on mine (being a cloverleaf of course) and they look stunning on both the GT and GTV

Very tidy engine bay, like the colour scheme :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't believe it either but take a look at the pic, that's the damaged side.....still unrepaired!!

Clive
That's bonkers - Cat C for that? Mad!

But then the real madness is that in order for that to have been deemed to be Cat C, someone, somewhere must have made an insurance claim out of it...

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
That's bonkers - Cat C for that? Mad!

But then the real madness is that in order for that to have been deemed to be Cat C, someone, somewhere must have made an insurance claim out of it...
And, someone wanted rid of it in exchange for the pittance that an insurer would pay out for a V-reg 156.

We bought a 146 Twinspark once for £50, cat C, it had a golf-ball sized dent on the rear quarter under a rear light which is what they wrote it off for. It went straight through an MOT, straight through the VIC check and was insured and on courtesy car duty within a couple of days of purchase, wearing its dent with pride :D

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
And, someone wanted rid of it in exchange for the pittance that an insurer would pay out for a V-reg 156.

We bought a 146 Twinspark once for £50, cat C, it had a golf-ball sized dent on the rear quarter under a rear light which is what they wrote it off for. It went straight through an MOT, straight through the VIC check and was insured and on courtesy car duty within a couple of days of purchase, wearing its dent with pride :D
The VIC check has now been abolished, since Oct 2015.

So a Cat C is basically the same as a Cat D, only difference could be the cost to repair is higher than the value of the car whereas a Cat D is normally less than the total value. Most of the Cat Cs I've ever seen though have only been 'cosmetic' or light damage rather than heavy impact unlike Cat Ds....so once again, clear as mud.

Clive

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yes, you're probably quite right. I did look into an ad with Autotrader but if I'd done that, I'd be sharing internet space with jokers like this: Alfa Romeo GTV CUP 1.8 2dr

Autotrader used to be my one & only port of call for buying or selling a car but not any more. Too many cowboys on there these days for me to even be bothered to look now...

And don't get me started on FeePay....

I'll give another month or so on Pistonheads & see what happens. Cheers for the reply!
I understand, but that goes to show even a dealer doesn't know what car he/she is advertising, however when I was looking for a V6 GTV I did look on autotrader and missed a couple of nice ones. If you are looking for a certain car, people still do look at Autotrader and Ebay for that matter. In a way only a genuine buyer would travel to Cornwall, so that would help in sorting the wheat from chaff buyers, so that would save you dealing with the idiots of this world.
As for CAT C's etc, I think it's just a way of the government getting older vehicles of the road, there's probably been an edict sent to the insurance companies. Most average motorists won't touch one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts