Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice, I purchased my 03 reg 147 2.0ts Lusso (3 door) 2 days ago but have a few issues.

1. When I picked up the car, the indicators and Hazard lights would not work, Fuses checked but all OK so the AA was called out. AA checked all fuses and ended up disconecting the battery to do a systems reset. This worked and have indicators again. Does anyone know what may have caused this, how to fix it etc.

2. Rear wind screen wiper will not work, and this morning when opening rear hatch water came pouring into the car onto the rear parcel shelf, when I raise or lower the hatch I can hear loads of water....sounds like a litre or so!!!! sloshing around. the rear washer works as can see a constant strong stream of water spraying onto the rear screen, any ideas?

3. When I depress the clutch pedal, a lour sqeaking sound can be heard and the pedal feels quite stiff, when holding in the clutch at traffic lights, you have to keep pushing quite hard as the pedal feels like it is trying to spring back.
Some times when changing gear it is hard to go up or down through the gears....feels like it is missing or not clicking into gear...this is intermittant!!! sometimes it just slots in really smoothly and changes easily. Sometimes when selecting reverse it grinds with the pedal flat to the floor also. :cry:

Also where should the bite point be? Close to the floor or top of pedals travel?

4. When I come to the traffic lights or to a stop, the revs stay around 3000rpm for about 5 to 8 seconds...the drops back down to just below 1000 rpms. Any Ideas?

5. Cruise Control.... I have tried to use the system as per owners manual but no joy, tried switching it on on motorway....Switch in ON position.....speed 70 mph......pressed the + and held for 5 secs.... taken foot off accelerator pedal......car just starts to slow down.......any ideas?

Cant believe the problems I have with this car which I have only had for 2 days........Just want to start enjoying my Alfa.....but issues worrying me....have I got a lemon!!!!

Also when test driving the car and ASR failure warning came up on the speedo screen and the ASR button light lit up and would not reset, dealer said would get the garage to hook up diagnostics to check fault. When car collected was informed that fault code was reset and system should be OK........As this is a car that I will be driving my family with small kids around in...... could this be something bigger that just a simple fault?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone could give....as will be going back to see the dealer..

Many Thanks :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
1) bad connections at the battery terminals, if it is still the original battery it might be wise to replace it. I did mine of my 52 plate last month and no longer get intermitant asr,vdc and various light failure warnings anymore.

2) probably a split in the hose fo the rear washer in the hatch, not uncommon 15 job to fix.

3 & 4 Smaky could probably give you the answer to that

5) to operate the cruise control turn the switch to on and turn the + - lever when at the desired speed, do not touch the brake or clutch pedal when doing this as this will dissengage the cruise control, could also be a faulty or missaligned clutch pedal or brake pedal microswitch (might explain the squeak on the clutch pedal )

Welcome to AO, there are plenty of clever and helpful people on here so an answer is never far away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our fire appliance does a similar thing on occasion, no lights, blues, sirens etc. You have to stop and switch off, wait a few seconds and let the system reset and then start again. Very frustrating but never fails twice in a row.

E

·
0 Posts
The ASR failure light is ususally a sign of a knackered battery, so I would suggest that it is linked to your issue 1. How old is the battery? Unless it is brand new, I would get it swapped, but have a search on the threads as the standard alfa battery is a bit under powered

1 - 7 of 7 Posts