Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i had a front passanger tyre fitted on 14th sept its now worn through to the wire on the inner edge only, see pics. i had my mot and it was a advisory that it was close to limit (that was start of nov, a few week later its link this, im a bit worried now??

View attachment 130065 View attachment 130066

is this due to the tracking??
or the wishbones?? i had a look at the wishbones and the rubber is worn but so is most of the car :cheese:

looking at the other front tyre its a little more worn on the inside but nother major and the tyres been on for a year. just weird its only lasted 2 months! :confused:

the garage said it was the tracking, then crap tyre when they relised they had done tracking and balance :lol:

i having a new tyre fitted tomorrow and found a place in derby that do hawkeye 4 wheel tracking but dont want to find myself in same situation 2 months down the line

so what do you think?? wishbone could have done this??

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If it was tracking, the tyre on the other side would be suffering similar wear.

You could also check the camber - that could be seriously out.

M

·
0 Posts
If it was tracking, the tyre on the other side would be suffering similar wear.
Not if one wheel is pointing outwards more than the other side although he says the inside of the other side is worn, but not as much.

Tracking or wishbones. it is.

Thing is......change the wishbones and you should do the tracking. Wishbones are £30 a pair so I'd fit them first then do the tracking.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The tracking could be out on that wheel only. If the front is sticking out more than the back (viewed from abpve) it would scrub the inner edge. The 4-wheel tracking doodah would solve that... but usually tracking affects both wheels.. one more than the other.. but not by a huge amount.

The camber could be out. It could be smacked "out of true" if the car had an accident at that corner and wasn't properly fixed. The 4-wheel tracking doodah should give you the camber readings too, so you will be able to see.

The camber could also be out if the top mount bearings on the suspension are shagged, causing the wheel/suspension arm to "sag" . Does the beast "clonk" over normal road ripples..?

The camber could also be out if the wishbone rubbers are FUBARd. That would make the wheel "wander" ... and again the tendency is for the wheel to tip into the wheel arch, putting strain on the inner shoulder of the tyre. Does the car "wander" or "tramline" on uneven surfaces?

I don't think it's a duff tyre.. .but fit a Wanli or something until you sort out the underlying cause. It can't make things much worse by the looks of it..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Are your tyres rubbing on something, that's a serious problem. I get it checked out a good tyre place and get a 4 wheel alignment done asap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has your usual route gained speed humps or damaged looking humps? If you drive through those split ones then they can rub your tyres to shreds.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not if one wheel is pointing outwards more than the other side...
But the effect would be equalised across both wheels assuming he wants to be able to go in a straight line.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
I wonder if the OP will ever reply to this thread.
Lots of questions he needs to answer, especially my question on pressure...

·
Registered
355 Posts
You have just had an MOT so its unlikely anything bush wise is shot unless it wasn't a thorough MOT. I have just had my car tracked as it was wearing quite similar and that wheel was out quite a bit. I put mine down to the work I have done on that side of the car, clutch etc which literally dismantled most of that side to get the gear box out. Any work done that side of the car?

·
Registered
37,764 Posts
When I got my GTV the wishbones were so bad that it was clonking when the brakes were applied, but it still had an MOT.

It does depend how thoroughly the MOT was done.

Also check the trackrod end on that side.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Not if one wheel is pointing outwards more than the other side although he says the inside of the other side is worn, but not as much.

Tracking or wishbones. it is.

Thing is......change the wishbones and you should do the tracking. Wishbones are £30 a pair so I'd fit them first then do the tracking.
Are your tyres rubbing on something, that's a serious problem. I get it checked out a good tyre place and get a 4 wheel alignment done asap.
Bluddy hell those tyre's are shot :wow:

Sort your tracking out :thumbs:
Most likely your bottom wishbone bushes or the ball joint are knackered.
I see what you mean...yeah probably correct.

So wishbone/balljoint then most likely
I don't know what everyone else thinks but I'd say that the wishbone / balljoint, which is all one unit, needs replacing. I had the same problem.

Replacing it is a job that you can do yourself. Either way it will probably be the wishbone on the opposite side to the wheel that is bald.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
right guys thanks for your replys, i had a new tyre fitted today, the presures are fine, the wheels are 18s. the garage couldnt do the tracking :rolleyes: so going to order wishbones as advised, the garage did say that the rubber had worn on the wishbones and he thinks that "could" be the problem but not sure.

i had my mot only a month ago and they picked up the inner wear on the tyres near legal limit but nothing about wishbones. after the advise on the suspension i digged out the old alloys that were on the car when i bought it a year ago and one of the tyres are worn on the inside aswell.

the car?Any work done that side of
i have not done any work on the car so far apart from service and heater exchange replaced.

Has your usual route gained speed humps or damaged looking humps?
no humps on my daily drive..............unfortunately :cheese:

Does the car "wander" or "tramline" on uneven surfaces?
yeah took it for a drive after tyre change and between 70-80 the car proper vibrates so im not going to drive it untill i have done the wishbones and got the 4 wheel tracking sorted

The camber could also be out if the top mount bearings on the suspension are shagged, causing the wheel/suspension arm to "sag" . Does the beast "clonk" over normal road ripples..?

The camber could also be out if the wishbone rubbers are FUBARd. That would make the wheel "wander" ... and again the tendency is for the wheel to tip into the wheel arch, putting strain on the inner shoulder of the tyre. Does the car "wander" or "tramline" on uneven surfaces?
i think this is the problem nice one ralf :thumbs:

just checked out the "how to" on the wishbone doesnt look like a easy job

thanks for all your replys :thumbs:

just one last question, could the off side front inner drive boot split couse this?? this was also a advisory

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
right guys thanks for your replys, i had a new tyre fitted today, the presures are fine, the wheels are 18s. the garage couldnt do the tracking :rolleyes: so going to order wishbones as advised, the garage did say that the rubber had worn on the wishbones and he thinks that "could" be the problem but not sure.

i had my mot only a month ago and they picked up the inner wear on the tyres near legal limit but nothing about wishbones. after the advise on the suspension i digged out the old alloys that were on the car when i bought it a year ago and one of the tyres are worn on the inside aswell.

just checked out the "how to" on the wishbone doesnt look like a easy job
Hmm, who is your garage? They don't seem to know much.

And yes it isn't an easy job but I took the job on after having read a few threads on here and while I spent a day doing it, it could probably be done in only half a day, as long as things are done in the right order.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the garage i had my tyres done at was Ats and they said i would need to take the car to a "proper garage" (his words) :lol: i used them as got a very good price on the tyres. i will not be use them again

after the expression on my face when he said that he tried to back track and say "i mean somewhere that do more mechanical things as we only do the basics" :lol: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts