Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Why do people say "congratulations" to someone who bought a new car?

This is a genuine question, not sarcasm.

I mean, you don't say "congratulations" to someone when they have bought a new set of furniture or a new TV?

Does it reflect the fact that a car is usually such an expensive item that acquiring it is seen as an accomplishment of note?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts

This is a genuine question, not sarcasm.

I mean, you don't say "congratulations" to someone when they have bought a new set of furniture or a new TV?

Does it reflect the fact that a car is usually such an expensive item that acquiring it is seen as an accomplishment of note?
Dude... You don't get it. Your wife buys the dishwasher, fridge, stove, even the toothpaste... Sometimes, with your money too.

....you get to buy the car... Of course it's a congratulatory thing! A MAN thing! Like your team winning the cup!

CONGRATULATIONS RATEL!!! :vs_OMG::grin:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Our family (and most friends) tend to congratulate each other on biggish purchases like TV's and furniture :byebye:

It has to do about the relationship and the common denominator - the reason we are on here - CARS

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I could rant about "consumer culture" and the like, but then again, the purpose of production is for consumption. It's usually hard to know whether someone made a prudent purchase or not. It's not like people say: "Here's my new car! I took out a R500 000 loan for it! I was already in debt to the tune of R2 million and I only make R300 000 gross per year, but who cares!" :biglaugh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really one of those cars that just puts a naughty grin on your face
when driving :thumbup: & the sound.

Congrats Ultra Red you have good taste in cars. Ha ha

·
Registered
800 Posts
Like it:thumbup:

I had a 1994 Clio Williams many years ago..fun fun and some more fun:biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I could rant about "consumer culture" and the like, but then again, the purpose of production is for consumption. It's usually hard to know whether someone made a prudent purchase or not. It's not like people say: "Here's my new car! I took out a R500 000 loan for it! I was already in debt to the tune of R2 million and I only make R300 000 gross per year, but who cares!" :biglaugh:
This reminds me why I have no friends :depressed:. I'm starting to seriously believe that the economist's way of thinking is an affliction when it comes to personal interactions. I'm happy to believe that this matching of man and machine has increased societal welfare and will have many positive second-round effects beyond the initial joy. For this, Ratel deserves congratulations! But also because it is a cool car!

·
Registered
915 Posts
This reminds me why I have no friends :depressed:. I'm starting to seriously believe that the economist's way of thinking is an affliction when it comes to personal interactions. I'm happy to believe that this matching of man and machine has increased societal welfare and will have many positive second-round effects beyond the initial joy. For this, Ratel deserves congratulations! But also because it is a cool car!
I picture this with being said by Vinnie Jones' character "Sphinx" at the end of Gone In 60 Seconds. A bit hard to digest first time round. :readit:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts