Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, i know we all know what a 147 GTA looks like lol but i figured posting up a few gratuitous pics wouldn't do any harm now that i've actually figured out how to post pics on here !
Not only is this my first GTA but it's also the first time i've dipped my toes in Alfa waters so you'll have to excuse any ignorance i show of the marque as i'm on a steep learning curve here :)
So, why did i choose the 147 GTA ? Quite simple really, just always had a soft spot for them.....i always seem to gravitate towards hot hatces for some reason, just seems to be my thing ! I remember one of my customers many years ago having one in what i seem to recall was Cosmos blue and i was always in admiration of it's looks and i think that's always stayed with me.I've always been a bit of a fast Ford man in truth and i do have one of those in the garage but it's getting very rare and a bit valueable now so less keen to use it quite so much. I'm now in the fortunate position of having worked long enough and hard enough that i had a bit of cash available for something else to go with the Ford so started to consider options, initial thought was the mk1 Focus RS but having tried one i found the interior a bit hideous lol and although it drove great and looked the part outside i soon realised that i wanted to get away from turbo cars for the first time in a longtime as really wanted a different kind of driving experience :) So thoughts turned to the GTA and the research began and then actually looking at cars.....
The search didn't actually take too long and i bought the third car i actually viewed, it came from Veloces in London and whilst it's not perfect i think it's really very good for a 13 year old 65k miles car so i'm happy enough.
Main thing that's bugging me with it at the moment is that the roof panel isn't quite as red as the rest of it lol, i guess it's the roof that gets hit the hardest by the sun and it has faded just a touch pinky, not awful by any stretch, in fact i didn't even notice until i got it home and it only shows in a certain light but now i'm aware of it, it bugs me somewhat lol so that will get painted later in the year.....should be staightforward as it's a seperate panel so shouldn't need blending and i guess the hardest part will be getting the bee-sting aerial off :(
Other than that, first impressions are all very good.....was expecting a bit more understeer with that big lump at the front but it actually sticks like a limpet and corners really flat ! Have read a lot of people do the anti-roll bar upgrade and thought i probably would too but now having driven it 'm not convinced it'd going to be necessary for the kind of driving i intend to use the car for......who knows ! Maybe it's already been upgraded ? Planning on getting it along to one of Autolusso saturday surgeries some time soon so they can have a proper look and see what it has and hasn't got :) I know its already got an Auto delta induction pipe thingy and a Scorpion exhaust but whether previous owner did anything else i'm not sure so we'll see.
As for any other future modifications by myself i really want to try and keep a lid on that as my other toy is modified to the point of really pretty much being a track car for the road as i only stopped at the point of not stripping the interior and fitting a cage ! The GTA does seem to struggle a bit on the bumpy stuff and i find you have to be vigilant when overtaking on less than perfect roads as it does try to go where you don't want it to go needing some correction ! Maybe some better dampers would help with this so that's a possbility.
Beyond those points it could do with an engine undertray as that's missing so may go for one of the alloy ones i've seen.....the fuel filler cap is a shiny silver non locking one with Abarth written on it so i'm guessing that's not right lol, minor issue really as it does work but if i can fnd a correct one that would be good though i guess there will be key issue with that ! Also quite keen to get some wheel spacers for it as 147's i've seen with them do seem to benefit visually i think having the wheels filling the arches better, unless someone can convince me this is a bad idea in any way ? If it puts a small extra strain on the wheel bearings i think i can live with that, is it 15mm spacers all round that people recommend ? Whilst on the subject of wheels i'm still not 100% convinced i like the shadow chrome finish ! Looks a bit better in the flesh than it does in the pics but never really been big on dark coloured wheels :( so may go back to silver or compromise and got for a much lighter shade of shadow chrome :)
Anyway, hope you like it ! Why wouldn't you lol, it's a GTA :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It does look like a nice example you've got there! :thumbup:

The lack of understeer would be because the car (according to the boot badge) has a Q2 diff. It makes a big difference at the limit, although the GTA even without the Q2 has to be pushed surprisingly hard before it will understeer.

It notice it also has a strut brace and non-standard intake tubing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look like a nice example you've got there! :thumbup:

The lack of understeer would be because the car (according to the boot badge) has a Q2 diff. It makes a big difference at the limit, although the GTA even without the Q2 has to be pushed surprisingly hard before it will understeer.

It notice it also has a strut brace and non-standard intake tubing.
Yes, although i'm very new to these cars i did my research an there was no way i was buying a car that didn't have the Q2 though to be fair are there many left now that don't have it ?!! Paying for a gearbox rebuild is not high on my priorities list lol

.....and as for the badges on the tailgate, yes, i know they are wrong lol. In fact they were just being fitted when i arrived to view the car, if i had got there 5 minutes earlier i would have said can you put the GTA badge on the correct side (pedant lol) and not bother with the Q2 badge but find me a 147 one but i was too late !!Ive since found a solitary 4 in the glove box lol but no 1 & 7 so i guess i'll be getting on e-bay at some point to get one......if i can be arsed !!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A nice looking example there, with nice low miles too (I know it's not the be all and end all but I too prefer lower mile cars, mine's on 54000). The wheels look like they've been finished to a high standard, but I agree that darker wheels don't work so well with red cars. I had mine refurbed years back in silver....just a little brighter than the factory finish which had a rather flat look to it.
Rosso red with Imola (all black) leather is the perfect combination :thumbup:

Reactions: Spiritof76

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice car! A well kept example.

I can get you a new fuel lock cap customized to your key.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice car! A well kept example.

I can get you a new fuel lock cap customized to your key.

Ah, ok thanks ! That's interesting.....what sort of cost and how do we go about doing that ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can't send you a PM for some reason.
It's a new genuine 147 fuel cap coded according to your key, I'd have to get a picture of your key in order to produce it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I've never had a hot hatch in my life, but its great when someone shares the joy that they just bought a GTA...happy days!

By the way, your GTA looks beautiful, great choice!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what's all the fuss about with xenon headlights ? Are they that much better or do people just prefer the look of them !?
Are they easy to find and retro fit ?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
So what's all the fuss about with xenon headlights ? Are they that much better or do people just prefer the look of them !?
Are they easy to find and retro fit ?
Yes, they are worth fitting but realistically you need to take the headlights out (which means taking the wheel arch liners and bumper off) to fit a basic xenon & ballast set up. You also need to use the short version of the bulb or they'll foul the anti dazzle cap.

A better option is to fit a bi-xenon setup from retrofitsource.

IMG_7397 by chris147gta, on Flickr

IMG_7401 by chris147gta, on Flickr

IMG_7403 by chris147gta, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 32 Posts